Novo serus questions

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by He_Ma, Jun 12, 2019.

1. He_Ma

He_Ma Member

Ladies and gentleman! I need your help with few Novo guitars questions I have. I tried to ask the same questions in bigger Novo thread, but got no answers.

I live in Finland and we have only one Novo dealer that is like 4-5 hour drive away. Every time they get new Novos those usually sell out fast.

I'm most interested in serus J and T.

1. How different is the J body size/shape and over all balance when compared to regular jazzmaster? I like Jazzmaster body shape so is serus J really similiar feeling even though it looks bit different?

2. Can somebody tell me more about p45? Is it p90 construction with just lesser output?

2. Whitecat

Whitecat Member

1. Novo guitars tend to be lighter than heavier - and usually much lighter than Jazzmasters by up to 3lbs on average, IME. The body is a little bigger, but the "tempering" of the wood seems to keep them on the slim-feeling side due to the weight loss that it causes. The contours on the J are spot-on, they make it feel like a smaller body than it actually is. In short, very balanced, IME.

2. The P45 has one less bar magnet in it, so yeah, a little lower output but allegedly "more articulate" (Dennis' words). I think he chose this design to balance better with the bridge pickup, since that's a common T-style complaint...

ford likes this.
  3. He_Ma

He_Ma Member

Thank you!

That p45 idea sounds interesting and makes it narrower so the inner width is closer to regular single coil.

4. Steven

Steven Member

I recently bought a Novo Sectis and its very well balanced indeed. The body is bigger than like my strat, but its not heavy and it feel very comfortable (it has a belly cut). I think TGT11 in Stockholm has a few Novos inbound and they have a few in stock right now.

WornFrets and He_Ma like this.