Now for something relatively different

mykljpao

"Acoustic" blues (both guitars have pickups) from the Wachusset Mt. Blues Festival in Princeton, MA. The young lady in the vids, Mary Lou Ferrante just forwarded these to me. We did a short opening set at the festival and then played in the lounge between the electric acts on the main stage. It was a blast. She has a fabulous voice, is a fine player, a terrific person and has the brightest smile, lol.
Her Gibson is a '54, I believe. My resonator is a fairly recent National Radiotone bendaway with a Kand K or Highlander acquired right here on tgp. Fabulous instrument! Both in sound and playability.
Please excuse the occasional holiday....we play together infrequently.
The sound co did a great job on the guitars but could have given her voice a lot more depth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7isPA3oDM-I&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiZgL-cct5s

scottl

Excellent playing Mike! Loved the duo. Mary Lou is fantastic. Look forward to getting together again. When we hung I was really really really sick. Next time I want to be 100%!

mykljpao

Thanks guys! Mary Lou's '54 Gibson is the best sounding and playing acoustic I've ever heard. String tension is almost nonexistant yet it sounds full and projects like crazy. Very warm sounding without (to my ears) the typical Gibson boominess. Outdoors, the 'burst is absolutely luminous. My National is a superb instrument as well. The wood keeps it warm but the rez gives it that super percussive edge. VERY loud, naturally, lol. Fabulous action when it appeared in my hands. I didn't have to touch a thing, and I prefer extemely low action.
ML is a delight to play with. Her fingerpicking is far better than mine, so I like to flatpick when with her in order to contrast her style. Her voice is far better in person and in a club setting is just the sexiest sound going, lol. We don't get to play very often so when she calls off a tune, my usual answer is; "That means nothing to me - what key is it?" I may or may not recognize the song once she gets into it. Certainly keeps things fresh, lol. We'll be playing together again in Oct at the Taunton River Music Festival......hopefully we'll get a chance to rehearse at least once prior.
Scott, I'd love to spend some time getting "schooled" again! I remember that you felt awful that day but your playing certainly didn't suffer in the least. If you get any better, I'll have to leave my instrument in the case. Hopefully, I will be able to provide a better playing situation this time as well.
Harry, yes it's not the usual fare being posted. Thanks, means a lot coming from a player whom I hold in extremely high regard.
Bluesmain, thanks for listening....yeah, you've got to hear her in person for the full effect ; )

jscorno

Wow. I really enjoyed that! Thanks for posting!

You guys playing anywhere else in the area?

-Jeff

mykljpao

Jeff, thanks for the kind words. We don't play together regularly but we have a slot upcoming at the Taunton River Folk festival Sat Oct 11, I believe. That will be at Steve's Backstage Pass, 15 School St in Taunton.
It's part of a Fri-Mon Folk and Blues festival at several stages around Taunton center. There will be some killer musicians there. Most notably, the Dillonaires direct from Mississippi. They are the real deal and great folks as well. Email me if you want further info....sorry I can't put my hands on it at the moment, lol.

Where are you in MA? I run a blues jam at Steve's every thurs night from about 8:30 to 12:30. House band kicks ass if I do say so myself, lol.

trap

Gold Supporting Member
michael, nice to see you posting! excellent playing. mary lou has a real nice voice, and it's nice to finally see you.

jscorno

Jeff, thanks for the kind words. We don't play together regularly but we have a slot upcoming at the Taunton River Folk festival Sat Oct 11, I believe. That will be at Steve's Backstage Pass, 15 School St in Taunton.
It's part of a Fri-Mon Folk and Blues festival at several stages around Taunton center. There will be some killer musicians there. Most notably, the Dillonaires direct from Mississippi. They are the real deal and great folks as well. Email me if you want further info....sorry I can't put my hands on it at the moment, lol.

Where are you in MA? I run a blues jam at Steve's every thurs night from about 8:30 to 12:30. House band kicks ass if I do say so myself, lol.

I'm up the road in Bellingham. I'll have stop by the jam one of these days!

I'll check out the Folk and Blues festival as well.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom