Now I gotta know: Celestion Blue vs. Scumnico Silver

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by FrankieSixxxgun, Feb 24, 2009.

1. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Let's hear about it! I was gonna buy some Blues for my AC30CC2, but now I see that Southbay is making reproduction Silvers. Can someone give me the tonal differences between the two? Would I wanna slap in two 15 watt Silvers into my AC30 just like I'd do two 15 watt Blues? I wanna sound like Brian May, maaaaaaaaaan! :rotflmao

2. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

I haven't tried the 15 watt Scumnicos, but I have 30 watters and 65 watters. (that's probably a very important difference making my comparison useless, but what the heck....)

The blue still has its own voice. early breakup, not really a "full-range" speaker by any means. tight bass, creamy upper mids, lots of high end chime.

the scumnico is somewhat similarly voiced in an "english" sort of way, but it's more evenly balanced IMO. not as early breakup, not as vocal in the mids, rounder bass.

none of those are better/worse statements. both are great, and different.

3. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Let me complicate the question then. I have two gigging amps, a Metro JMP 50 Marshall clone that I play through two 4x12's with G12C-25's in it, and this Vox AC30CC2 currently sitting with stock Wharfedales. I don't want the Vox to sound like the Marshall, I want it to sound like a Vox. Would the Blues or Silvers get me more, "Voxy," if you will?

4. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

Hmm, I haven't had a true old Vox, so I'm probably not qualified to say. I have heard others say the Scumnicos are closer to the old silver vox speakers, but I haven't tried those speakers.

I can say that my AC-30-ish amps (UG30, Fargen Epic, Vox AC-30CC, Overbuilt Napoleon Complex) sound very "Voxy" to me with blues or a Blue/G12H, and not "marshally" at all.

5. SkipTracer

SkipTracer Member

Both would.
    Original silver alnicos sound similar to blues, but they don't have as much high end. They also have more lower mids IMO, sort of like an alnico greenback. I'd say get one of each.

I'm using a silver alnico/G12H30 mix in my (old) AC30. They sound great together and get you lots of micing and recording options.

6. scotty danger

scotty danger Member

I just spent the afternoon switching back and forth between a broken in celestion alnico blue and a brand new scumnico 30 watt in my oversized cab, with an ac15 handwired head.

While both obviously have their strong points, the scumnico sounded shockingly good right out of the box. I preferred the scumnico because the blue sounded a little too bright to me, and not as "meaty".

When I started playing the scumnico I just got a big grin on my face. The chime is definitely there too. I do a lot of finger tapping, and the scumnico made the finger tapping sound a bit meatier on the high strings. The blue sounded great for tapping, but was a little bright for my tastes (and not as thick).

The blue was a bit clearer, but remember that I was comparing a 15 watt blue to a 30 watt scumnico.

Anyway, this stuff is sooooo subjective. Both speakers are amazing and anyone would be lucky to have either.

The blue is definitely a bit louder. And geeeez that ac15 handwired is shockingly loud.

oh, the guitar I was using was a baja telecaster with callaham bridge and an RS kit.

7. blastastick

blastastick Senior Member

8. wyatt

wyatt Member

You have to remember that the Blue RI is not an accurate repro of the original speaker. Celestion knows that modern tastes generally lean toward brighter and louder speakers, so they made the RI a much more efficient speaker compared to an original Blue, it's louder and brighter and it will break up sooner and get harsh sooner as well.

So, speakers based more on the original Celestion/Vox Alnicos will generally be warmer sounding and less "upfront." I find them less fatiguing to the ears, but in tastes-test after taste test, players still seem to go for the brighter and tighter speaker.

9. 908SSP

908SSP Member

I have a mint set of original Silver Vox speakers from 1967 and compared them to both the Scumnicos and the Blues and they match the 30 watt Scumnicos spot on. That said you might be looking for the Blue sound if you're after Brian's tone I don't know that he used old speakers he probably used modern Blues. The Scumnicos will make your AC30 cover a lot more ground which is nice it that is all you're using but switching back and forth from a Marshall with greenbacks and an AC30 you might not need that. With Scumnicos you might even find you can do both amps through one cab. I use the Scumnico for my Marshalls even my 2204 sounds good through them.

Scumnicos have to be my favorite speaker.