Now I want to trash my Mexican strat body

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by chadbang, Jul 4, 2008.

1. chadbang

chadbang Member

I sort of like the partscasteer I put together, mainly the relic finish I put on it which involved sanding down the body's finish close to a Fender "thin finish". It was a helluva lot of working sanding that body about 30-40 times with a fine grit car polish to achieve "realistic" wear.

My only problem is that I tried to save a hundred dollars by buying a Mexican body. I'd heard a variety of reports of the quality of Mexican bodies vs American ones, and it seemed like a good trade off - cheaper and almost as good. The only thing that bugged me was that it was a bit heavy.

A year later and just today I ran across these photos taken by someone who visited the Ensenada plant and took some pics to show the guitar making process there. Here's a link to his photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/view...d=4994460859839283217&iid=4994463468100583442

Now these pics make me want to trash my Mexican body ... and the work I did laboriously relicing it. I had no idea how terribly these Mexican bodies are constructed. Ten pieces of wood and a veneer. Veneer!. Total junk, IMO. Oh man, I wish I never would have found these pictures. Curiosity killed the cat, I suppose....

[​IMG]

Quote: "These multi-piece Alder bodies have been prepped with an alder veneer, destined for Standard Strat and Tele production. (Trans finishes). Before you start yelping about the multi piece body, just remember that this guitar is 25% the price of the USA equivilant."

Now that I've seen these, I wouldn't give you 10 cents for a Mexican body. And this comes on the heels of science concluding Strativarius violins sound so good because the rings are wonderfully even on a SINGLE piece of wood, so that they resonate perfectly. Perfect rings? With these you'd be lucky damn matches in size on these slabs of kindling.

Anybody want to buy a relic'd Mexican start body?

2. Ramhead

Ramhead Member

yeah, I'll give you 10 cents for it :AOK

I've stripped classic 50's mexican strat body and it was nice 3 piece alder.

3. biggreen

biggreen Member

Mexican Fenders are built like crap, no new news here. Guitars out of Korea have better build quality on average. Regardless you are going to still see people that swear their $400 Mexi standard sounds and plays better than all the Vintage and American Fenders that they have now since sold because of the mexi-beauty they now cherish... :stir

4. Clapton is God

Clapton is God Supporting Member

I think just the 3 tone sunburst has the veneer. From what I understand, the opaque finishes are 2-3 pieces, and the sunburst are... well.. as many as they please, but a "nice" top.

Baxtercat likes this.
  5. joefender

joefender Member

...but you were happy with the guitar for a full year and the only thing that bothered you was some extra weight. Your new knowledge isn't going to make it sound any different than it did last year.

6. b2sc

b2sc Member

Are you sure that photo isn't from the butch block table company next door to Fenders' Ensenada plant?

7. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Like it says it's for the standard MIM strats and teles. The better quality MIM's that usually cost around $600 and up, are supposed to have a little less, around 5 pieces I've read. Even U.S. strats are known to have 3-5 pieces. CS are two piece.

I wouldn't worry about it IF the guitar sounds good. But most of them don't, and a lot of times you still get what you pay for.

Theorist likes this.
  8. Amplite

Amplite Member

Of the many Teles I've had I still own a semi hollow USA G&L AST, Fender CS Nocaster, Fender American Deluxe Tele '07. I had to do a lot of outdoor gigs for a couple years so I got a MIM Nashville Tele and installed a set of Don Mare pickups, allparts compensated bridge, and Schaller locking tuners. This was meant to be a compromise, knock around guitar. I have to say the other guitars I own costing 3 to 5 times as much have nothing on this MIM Tele.
    When I close my eyes and just play this tele has it all - tone , feel, sustain.
    I reacted the same way as most of us when I saw this photo...UGGGGG.
    But for me I've learned first hand that the magic of any guitar is truely the SUM of it's parts. You never know till you pick it up and play it!

BTW a Stradivarius doesn't come with Don Mare's
    Happy 4th everybody!!:dude

AustinIsPresent, GGinMP and Tritone like this.
  9. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I don't know why anyone would be surprised by this pic. Afterall, It's $2-300 strat. You expect this for that price.

Amplite, makes a good point, as there are many variables that go into a guitar. but IME most all of the cheaper MIM are always heavy in weight, very closed/muted sounding guitars because of the wood. When you get up into the better quality MIM guitars like the JV or Cray, or reissue style.. much better chance at a decent sound. Once in awhile a gem shows up.

there was a video in another forum where they talked about how Fender sorts the wood. Custom shop gets the pick of the litter, followed by US production, and so on.. Who knows.

10. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

So you are saying it's not possible that they really may prefer the sound of their Mexican Strat?

If it sounds good it is good. End of story. I don't care if it's made from outhouse wood. If it plays and sounds good, then I'm good with it. If it's cheap and looks good, even better. If most on the rack sound like crap, but I find a nice one, good for me.

BTW. I don't own a Mexican Strat presently.

11. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I own a Mexican Strat, a Jimmie Vaughan sig model. It sounds and plays just fine. No idea how many pieces of wood in the body, don't care.

12. gibsonjunkie

gibsonjunkie Member

My MIM strat has about 4 pieces of wood - it doesn't affect the look all that much and out of about a dozen that we tried when I was out strat shopping, this was the one that had the Mojo!

Popped in a set of CS '69 PU's and it's golden!

[​IMG]

Arewenotmen?, fescue and EVHindenberg like this.
  13. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Just play the guitar and stop worrying about how it's built. You seemed to be happy before you saw the pics.

Arewenotmen?, ssdeluxe, Mr.db and 2 others like this.
  14. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Still probably the best strat I owned was a 50's MIM RI that I should've kept.

If it sounds good, it is good.

Arewenotmen?, xcc, ssdeluxe and 2 others like this.
  15. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

This is almost like pushing the issue and finding out the real "number" from your wife/girlfriend and then you don't like what you hear!!
    I don't think there should be any surprises here; it's a guitar that you can buy brand new for $399. Actually, the real surprise is how good I think they actually are. My friend owns a MIM tele and strat and I think they are both really nice guitars for the money. Upgrade the electronics and invest in a decent setup and you really have a nice guitar. My guitar repair guy really likes these. They are a cheap enough that even w/ upgrades, you have a great instrument for a reasonable price. I'm thinking of grabbing one myself..

16. biggreen

biggreen Member

For sure. If it sounds good then it is. However, statements that I have read on here claiming things like "it sounds better than every XYZ Vintage/US strat I have owned before and since sold", makes me think that often we hear what we want to.

BTW. I do own a mexi tele (72 thinline RI), and an 08 American Standard strat and I have played enough examples from both factories to stick to my previous claim: Mexican Fenders have the lowest build quality standards in the industry (not including <$200 walmart brands).
    Having said that I play my mexi tele way more than my strat, but the sole reason is that I love thinlines, it certainly doesn;t touch it in terms of quality. It isn't even the same league and I tried out 3 of them before picking it.

Daniel Travis likes this.
  17. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

Much to do about nothing....

Of course the cheap strats have multi piece bodies. However, if your particular guitar sounds good, then it is good.

My '89 strat has a multi piece alder body with ash veneers, and it is the best sounding of all my strats.

18. biggreen

biggreen Member

My American standard is 1 solid piece, do I win a prize? :dude

And you are right my $700 mexi TL tele in natural finished ash has 5 pieces on the top and the cap on the bottom is 2 pieces, I am just glad there is no tone sucking veneer on there.

19. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

One piece? Awesome, love to see it. :dude

20. teletran1175

teletran1175 Member

IMHO...
    It does not make one bit of difference in sound and MIM build quality is alot better than most people would like to admit.

J.Eric B, Not Through Yet and VaughnC like this.