• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

(now NGD!!!) too many Fenders to choose from

Matt L

The Vinteras have considerably better pickups than the Player Series IMO, if you’re looking at the MIM range. Just my thoughts.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
I've been saying for years that Fender fields too many guitars. How many Stratocasters do you need at any given time? It leads to confusion, obviously.

Scott SG

former
Thanks for the continued feedback!

found a Fender Limited MIM telecaster i like
but want to check out the US lines now

Fender (and everyone else?) has worked out, from places like this, that people are just buying anything that has a different color and supposed ' features'.
I think a guitar that's got huge fretwire, and a different style and quality of bridge, and vintage style split (not die cast) tuning machines, is a genuine different guitar. Some Telecasters, for instance, are "vintage" and others are "modern" and these are well used for different reasons - and the result is different sounds.

This isn't just about colors.

Reactions: MGT

MGT

Selling something without a obsolescence, they have to come up with some way to market the same item to the same buyers over and over and over again... Ie Multiple lines of the exact same thing.
Except that they're different. One has jumbo frets, another has vintage radius & frets, some Mexican, American, etc. I rather like being able to get a guitar with the specs I want rather than what you might like.

Johnny Ballache

I think a guitar that's got huge fretwire, and a different style and quality of bridge, and vintage style split (not die cast) tuning machines, is a genuine different guitar. Some Telecasters, for instance, are "vintage" and others are "modern" and these are well used for different reasons - and the result is different sounds.

This isn't just about colors.
The features thing, come on its a joke.
They have 100, literally 100 models of the same guitar with different hardware.
The guitars most certainly sound different, but that, friend, is a totally completely different story.
The guitars sound different based mostly on the piece of wood you get, and the big companies are very quiet on this little subject.
The reason why they're quiet on the subject is because if people knew just how low grade tone-wood they're using on their guitars, no -one would buy them.
An irony regarding wood quality is that what does it matter to the buyers of these guitars anyway? They don't get played, they get photographed and published here. ( which is why there are so many tonewood deniers)
Sure, some good ones slip through, but that's because it's uneconomical to stop it happening.
So the thing has die cast tuners? So what? Theres a 50 percent chance that sounds better and you can't disprove it and neither can I.
There's a 50 percent chance lower grade die cast saddle pieces sound better, and there's nothing you or I can do to disprove it.
The ' sounding better hardware' thing works both ways, it has to based on peoples inability to hear the same as anyone else.
I know a thing or two about tone in guitars, and I can tell you right now, a 300 dollar MEX crapper can blow away a 3k usa fender, precisely because of the reasons above.
Regarding frets, I have a couple of Mex guitars, fantastic things, they have jumbo frets and they work really well.
how many fret variations do buyers need?
50?
100?
how about 2.
for the vintage, slowhand players ... teeny frets..
fancy players get jumbo, end of story, please don't bore me shixless with the frets thing.

You're right btw, it's not about colors...it's about collecting all the action figures from the movie and satisfying that need for a hit/fix.
If it wasn't written right in front of my face on this screen , I tell you I wouldn't believe it.

Paul Conway

My experience of Fenders is that come what may, there's a good chance you'll need to pay on top for a decent fret dress/nut clean up, and possibly to sort some of the hardware.

In my experience, even the Pro guitars have low-quality tuners and pots, and it's hit and miss whether the strap buttons are seated properly. Those guitars are overpriced imho. That said, the necks are good...

So, given this, I'd just look for the two bits of wood bolted together that function best as a guitar, and fix that up.

Scott SG

former
thanks for the continued input.

It seems from browsing on line that I like the wood grain styles best (versus painted). But these are few and far between.

If not Fender, what else?

AltecGreen

Gold Supporting Member
If not Fender, what else?
Are you really sure you want to ask that question? That only adds several orders of magnitude more choices.

Things would be easier if you knew exactly what you wanted. Even say picking out say 5 specific features will significantly narrow the field.

Scott SG

former
Are you really sure you want to ask that question? That only adds several orders of magnitude more choices.

Things would be easier if you knew exactly what you wanted. Even say picking out say 5 specific features will significantly narrow the field.
lol I knew it would be a loaded question.

so my other guitars are
2 Gibson CS SGs
1st year Taylor T3
Epi limited SG

i’ve wanted a Fender style for a while and at the moment have no strong preference for Strat over Tele - I’d take either.

I play 60s and 70s rock, some surf, some rockabilly, some punk, and even some country rock.
I also play slide.
not a shredder

i’ve had a couple Les Pauls, a Kramer, a couple Ibanez, and a Guild but moved on from them.

I do have a circle of musician friends that I’ve played out with a lot and will be playing out again when ever it’s safe to do so. So yes I expect to use it outside of home.

my amps currently include a Vox and a Fender Super Champ.

thanks

AltecGreen

Gold Supporting Member
lol I knew it would be a loaded question.

so my other guitars are
2 Gibson CS SGs
1st year Taylor T3
Epi limited SG

i’ve wanted a Fender style for a while and at the moment have no strong preference for Strat over Tele - I’d take either.

I play 60s and 70s rock, some surf, some rockabilly, some punk, and even some country rock.
I also play slide.
not a shredder

i’ve had a couple Les Pauls, a Kramer, a couple Ibanez, and a Guild but moved on from them.

I do have a circle of musician friends that I’ve played out with a lot and will be playing out again when ever it’s safe to do so. So yes I expect to use it outside of home.

my amps currently include a Vox and a Fender Super Champ.

thanks

Identifying features that would help narrow the field

1) upper price ($1500)
2) country of origin
3) neck size
4) neck radius
5) fret size
6) fret type (NS, SS, EVO)
7) fretboard wood
8) neck wood
9) body wood)
10) pickup arrangement
11) pickup choice
12) bridge (trem or hardtail, if trem what type of trem)
13) finish type (poly or nitro)
14) weight range
15) neck joint
16) truss rod adjustment location or type

Last edited:

Scott SG

former
Identifying features that would help narrow the field

1) upper price ($1500)
2) country of origin
3) neck size
4) neck radius
5) fret size
6) fret type (NS, SS, EVO)
7) fretboard wood
8) neck wood
9) body wood)
10) pickup arrangement
11) pickup choice
12) bridge (trem or hardtail, if trem what type of trem)
13) finish type (poly or nitro)
14) weight range

i don't know things like neck size, fret size, etc as I don't have one already and have nothing to compare and don't have access to a store with any real variety.
Hence my question.

Of course if I know all of the above then I'd have one picked out! :) but I do appreciate the thought and the list of things to consider - thank you!

AltecGreen

Gold Supporting Member
i don't know things like neck size, fret size, etc as I don't have one already and have nothing to compare and don't have access to a store with any real variety.
Hence my question.

Of course if I know all of the above then I'd have one picked out! :) but I do appreciate the thought and the list of things to consider - thank you!
Can you get to a store to try a few?

One of the differences between your existing guitars and a strat or tele is the scale length. A strat/tele scale length is 25.5". Some people don't care and some are very sensitive to the difference.

Your pickups are also very different than a traditional strat or tele.

Since you don't really have a reference point, my suggestion is to buy a used Mexican strat or tele. It's a good baseline. Alternatively, go to a store and try a Mexican strat or tele.

Scott SG

former
Can you get to a store to try a few?

One of the differences between your existing guitars and a strat or tele is the scale length. A strat/tele scale length is 25.5". Some people don't care and some are very sensitive to the difference.

Your pickups are also very different than a traditional strat or tele.

Since you don't really have a reference point, my suggestion is to buy a used Mexican strat or tele. It's a good baseline. Alternatively, go to a store and try a Mexican strat or tele.
thanks again for taking the time to share your knowledge! appreciated!

IAE

I only ever buy their AVRI, AV, AO line - whichever one they have running at the time - so I personally couldn’t care less what other lines they have. :p

I think it’s great they have other lines in other price ranges for those who desire it.

Marketing has found that too many choices makes buyers feel overwhelmed about making a wrong choice ... and then they make no choice.

Too many choices is a big problem for manufacturing costs too.

Yet still some companies try to plug every possible niche.

I would suggest to narrow selection activity for yourself. You can start with budget and pickup and body style, or look down the list for lower priced versions that hit your needs to bracket a few candidates. Perhaps a Player Series covers your gigging or home performance needs. The Pro II has the color you want. Then sort through all in between.
Absolutely.

When I’m presented with too many choices I simply make no choice as a hasty choice will almost always be a wrong one.

With Fender I stick to the vintage reissue line.

With Gibson I stick with the Original series.

All I need to do is decide a color as with Fender it’s always going to be either a Jazzmaster or Jaguar; with Gibson it will almost always be an SG. With Gibson they decide the color as they only have one: Cherry.

This is my way of choosing and always has been.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom