Now that Danocaster is done, who do you choose?

TravisE

Supporting Member
Vintage Roots Guitars in California. That dude is doing some incredible things.

jblake

Dan is still selling guitars on Instagram.
Danocaster is not done. He's selling nearly daily direct and advertised on his IG page. .give him a follow. I believed his cost has increased to around $3,200.00.
Yeah it seems like Danocaster is selling multiple guitars a day and they sell almost instantly (I've seen multiple posts already sold in under 3 minutes).
I’ve got to get quicker on my Insta-game. That ‘56 2TSB that he sold earlier this week would have been mine if I had caught it before it sold. It seems like they are gone in the time it takes to tap the notification.

bgio

Supporting Member
I’ve got to get quicker on my Insta-game. That ‘56 2TSB that he sold earlier this week would have been mine if I had caught it before it sold. It seems like they are gone in the time it takes to tap the notification.
You almost have to be lucky and on your phone when it happens. I think I could’ve gotten that one, would’ve been close. But I’m hoping to a single cut with a bucker in the neck.

Rococco

I think those are customers' guitar orders that he just posted to IG, hence they always SOLD.

I might be wrong.

jhumber

I think those are customers' guitar orders that he just posted to IG, hence they always SOLD.

I might be wrong.
With the exception of 1 or 2 (eg. a blackguard for Tom Bukovac this week) they are “for sale” guitars. Earlier this week he posted a blonde ash offset and it took 15 minutes to sell. After 5 minutes people were posting “how is this not sold yet?”. Seems to be a very clever business model if you have his demand. Zero advertising fees, builds whatever he wants, no wait lists to manage, no emails back and forth on spec. While it might be frustrating if you’re trying to buy one, you gotta hand it to the guy, that’s an enviable position for any business to be in.

bibir

When dano was 2000$ it was interesting. Even then when I got it at 2012 I wasn't really happy with it, felt that my time machine fender CS resonance was a bit better. The dano looks better though. Sold it at 2015 and never missed it.

I have no idea why anybody is buying it at the current 3000$++ price point. For me, it's a no brainer I'll get a used Wildwood 10 strat and a few pedals for that price. I have two Wildwood 10 and it cures my strat search. Don't even want a vintage anymore after having that.

Dynamic

Silver Supporting Member
When dano was 2000$ it was interesting. Even then when I got it at 2012 I wasn't really happy with it, felt that my time machine fender CS resonance was a bit better. The dano looks better though. Sold it at 2015 and never missed it.

I have no idea why anybody is buying it at the current 3000$++ price point. For me, it's a no brainer I'll get a used Wildwood 10 strat and a few pedals for that price. I have two Wildwood 10 and it cures my strat search. Don't even want a vintage anymore after having that.
exactly I owned 2 Danos nice guitars at 2400 or so I got at LA vintage But in NOOOO WAYYY 3K AND UP PRICES...ridiculous...I have owned a ton of gear and really like Danocaster I sold them and have no regrets My fender cs and Tom anderson guitars kill them!

FennRx

Have you compared Fender CS prices to Danocaster prices?
Danocaster website says average is $3500-3600. Fenders seem to run $3000-5000 for most stuff.

if you can pay $3500 for a guitar based on models assembled in the 50s with the cheapest materials leo could find and assembled by unskilled line workers ($1800 adjusted into modern dollars) , another $500-1000 isn’t a big deal.

the whole thing reminds me of people that will buy a $400k house and then fill it with cheap ikea crap because $1000 for a recliner is just too much money! Lolz

derekd

Supporting Member
Danocaster website says average is $3500-3600. Fenders seem to run $3000-5000 for most stuff.

if you can pay $3500 for a guitar based on models assembled in the 50s with the cheapest materials leo could find and assembled by unskilled line workers ($1800 adjusted into modern dollars) , another $500-1000 isn’t a big deal.
Dano's prices are too stiff for me. I prefer Suhr.

However, to get to level of the Danos I saw, you are talking Fender CS $4000-$5000k. I've played several. All very nice but not better than Dano, imo. That still makes Dano cheaper than Fender.

While I like Fender just fine, I have no loyalty to the company and will go where I find the best bang for the buck. Dan appears to be responding to the demand for his instruments. At some point, he'll price himself out of the market but he apparently hasn't gotten there yet.

Last edited:

T92780

Silver Supporting Member
With the exception of 1 or 2 (eg. a blackguard for Tom Bukovac this week) they are “for sale” guitars. Earlier this week he posted a blonde ash offset and it took 15 minutes to sell. After 5 minutes people were posting “how is this not sold yet?”. Seems to be a very clever business model if you have his demand. Zero advertising fees, builds whatever he wants, no wait lists to manage, no emails back and forth on spec. While it might be frustrating if you’re trying to buy one, you gotta hand it to the guy, that’s an enviable position for any business to be in.
Oh, it was very "clever" if not cleverly calculated and surprised he gets a hall pass = Big announcement no longer building guitars, will fill only open orders and sell off remaining leftover parts, etc, which fuels a plethora of good wishes, thanks to him, which was very sweet. Next, aftermarket retail prices soar to 2x cost immediately. Then, pretty quietly and quickly, he reemerged building guitars that "he knows will sell/popular" and increases cost by 30% and sells via IG post. Yes, very "clever". Hats off to him, he created following and delivered what most feel is a high quality product with good service. Not bashing at all, I follow him on IG, so save it, but clean your windows.

Crazy how TGP tears FCS up for selling original design with hand choiced sorted wood at basically the same cost after a stress-free dealer haggle for 20-30% off. They have so many ultra cool boutique dealers with so many colors, specs with weight included to meet 98% over every Strat need spec ready to ship.

T92780

Silver Supporting Member

the whole thing reminds me of people that will buy a $400k house and then fill it with cheap ikea crap because $1000 for a recliner is just too much money! Lolz
Boutique FCS all will give 20-30% off, so most offerings are actually less cost than Dano.

T92780

Silver Supporting Member
Dano's prices are too stiff for me. I prefer Suhr.

However, to get to level of the Danos I saw, you are talking Fender CS $4000-$5000k. I've played several. All very nice but not better than Dano, imo. That still makes Dano cheaper than Fender.

While I like Fender just fine, I have no loyalty to the company and will go where I find the best bang for the buck. Dan appears to be responding to the demand for his instruments. At some point, he'll price himself out of the market but he apparently hasn't gotten there yet.
As I noted, you get haggle any FCS away from a put of state boutique dealer for 20-30% off and likely no sales tax. I own about 6-8 of them.

derekd

Supporting Member
As I noted, you get haggle any FCS away from a put of state boutique dealer for 20-30% off and likely no sales tax. I own about 6-8 of them.
All the FCS guitars I've played are very nice instruments.

Congrats on a sweet collection.