• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Now THIS is tone!

Wagster

Silver Supporting Member
People actually paid to see this?If so the guy's a genius.

Last edited:
I've heard about this composition but never actually heard it performed before.

Absolutely brilliant!!!! The single most amazing composition I've ever heard!

Anyone know where I can get the sheet music for this?

:rolleyes:

I know, John Cage is a "genius" and I just don't "get it" but this is akin to panting a canvas red and calling in a brilliant work of art.

fizbin

I inserted my own mental notes at the appropriate places. I must say it was quite brilliant.

I know, John Cage is a "genius" and I just don't "get it" but this is akin to panting a canvas red and calling in a brilliant work of art.
It seems to me that it was more like choosing not to paint it at all. Jobim had his "One Note Samba". This was a 0 note symphony.

I find "silence" vastly preferable to (and a lot more artistic than) a lot of the "noise" foisted upon the public in the name of "music".

Wooley

I remember learning about this piece in high school back in the 80s.

It always intrigued me.

Glad I could see this, thanks for posting it.

Randaddy

Wow... and they did it with a straight face.

And people paid to "experience" this. :NUTS

And they gave an ovation!

I was a music major for one year and then switched to art as my major for three years. I "experienced" this kind of thing for four years. I learned the proper way to approach this... but it is still hogwash. Major hogwash. I'm embarrassed for the people who sat there.

I know some will disagree with me, and their view is as legitimate as mine, but this stuff is lunacy IMO.

(Yes, I know that the meaning of the composers of this kind of thing is usually to make a statement of some kind, often commenting on the state of art and/or music at that point in history. It's really a commentary of sorts. A philosophical point of view. But is it really music? Or art? I know people don't experience it or enjoy it in the same way as they do most other art/music.)

Of course, this is just my opinion. I don't mean to rile feathers.

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
Challenge yourself to look at something differently.

This isn't about music. It isn't about art. It's about perception.

Dog Boy

If you bought it, talked about it or in anyway gave attention to it you have contributed to its success. And no I didnt listen to it.

Randaddy

Why do they have to?
They don't... unless they are caught unaware. If they pay to listen to music and get this instead, they could be pretty ticked off.

Of course, most go to "hear" this knowing full well what to expect. But there were times I'd go to a museum expecting to see beautiful paintings, but got this type of philosophical statement instead. I know it's just my opinion, but if I wanted a philosophical statement, I'd read a book.

YoungAmerican

They don't... unless they are caught unaware. If they pay to listen to music and get this instead, they could be pretty ticked off.
I doubt you're going to pay to see John Cage and not know exactly what you're getting.

And if you do, you're an idiot for other reasons.

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
Would have been waaaayyyy better if it was 4 minutes 32 seconds instead. But hey, I'm not a composer so....

Randaddy

I doubt you're going to pay to see John Cage and not know exactly what you're getting.

And if you do, you're an idiot for other reasons.
Do you think the first people to experience his work knew what to expect? Wasn't that his intention... to surprise them?

Trending Topics