Now This?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ulysses, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Ulysses

Ulysses Member

Just think, you have a guitar for sale in the classifieds. Gruhn Guitars calls and says they'll pay your price if you can ship it out today. You see the "Gruhn Guitars" name right there on your caller ID, you see the correct store phone number. They offer to pay your price plus cover shipping. They say just drop it off at the local UPS Store and they will call them and instruct them to pack and ship it using Gruhn's account. They will overnight the check as soon as they receive the guitar. Who would doubt Gruhn's Guitars (insert other big name/respected dealer) calling from the correct business number? Say goodbye to your guitar.....

for those not aware:

http://www.spoofcard.com/index.php

This is phenomenal. Now anyone can place a call and have any name or number they wish show up on the recipient's caller ID. For those of you who insist on a phone call from an Ebay seller to make sure they are who they say, not an account hi-jack or identity theft, now anybody can appear to be whoever they wish by buying minutes on this card. If you think about it, the possibilities are endless. Just amazing that scammers now have a tool like this.

2. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

It's gonna be face-to-face only before you know it.:jo

3. pedalfreek

pedalfreek Member

Well...only a moron would send a guitar, or anything for that matter, to someone before they had money in hand.

Software isn't stupid....

People are.....(that's not directed at anyone here! ;) )

4. Ulysses

Ulysses Member

This is exactly how Gruhn's, Southworths, Rumble Seat, you name it, does business. No one pays until the guitar is received. Just about every one of the tens of thousands of "morons" who has ever sold a vintage guitar to a major dealer has done so before the money is in hand. It's the way the vintage guitar business has operated for decades.
    [​IMG]
    I've bought and sold over 1000 vintage guitars without spilling a drop. Still, you'd be surprised how many fall for bad scams, much less good ones. This is more than just "software". This is the ability to commit identity fraud with registered business names and phone numbers using the telephone caller ID system.

5. pedalfreek

pedalfreek Member

Yea I hear ya...i'm in no way endorsing that software and I had no idea that's how people did business in the vintage guitar biz.
    There's always been, and always will be, scammers....one needs to be super cautious when selling/buying anything.
    I would think if you're dealing with instruments that are that precious/valuable....you would want to do it in person. I know I would...I don't care how reputable of a name someone has.

6. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

that would be a great way to mess with an Elvis fanatic wouldnt it, esp the ones that think he is still alive :dude

"hey man, this is the king, im hold up in tijuana and need you to wire me $10K..i just need your bank info...uh huh"