NPAD - New Preamp Day... Marshall JMP1 ::: VIDEO :::

fechart

It was a steal, so I pulled the trigger... Never had a Marshall, I dig Marshalls but have an EVH.

I've read good and horrible reviews of the Jmp1. Don't know what to expect... Arrives tomorrow.

Anyway, my plan with it is to "get together" a marshall in three steps, as I don't have the cash for a Silver Jubilee or some top end model...

That's if I dig the Jmp1 of course...

Step 1. Completed. Having the Jmp
Step 2. Get a good power amp. VHT or even a Marshall
Step 3. Get a Marshall cab

For now, I'll be plugging the Jmp into the power amp section of the EVH... And see if I can have some fun!

Cheers!

Al Varez

I always wanted to try this preamp. So many big name pro's use them(Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, ZZ Top). I never have because the used prices on these are jaw dropping for an old piece of rack gear. It seems like there's still a large demand for these. I don't get why Marshall completely stopped making these or never did a reissue.

fechart

Tomorrow morning I'll have it in da house... I'll report later, maybe I'll do a couple of clips

fechart

They're good. Been wanting One for years.
Don't discount used Mesa power amps.

Enjoy! Let me know if you hate it lol
I'm gassing for a second hand VHT 2 50 2 stereo PA, because of the excellent reviews and its features... Voicing, depth and Class A or AB. And it's EL34 based!

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
A good power amp might be able to fix the sound of a JMP-1.
Otherwise, super crispy cleans with harsh breakover into distortion on the clean channel.
Weak cleans with massive fizz on the OD side.
It does big fuzzy tones well if that is your thing.
Not a blusey, mild crunch (Marshally) graceful transition to OD, imo.
You'll hear.

fechart

A good power amp might be able to fix the sound of a JMP-1.
Otherwise, super crispy cleans with harsh breakover into distortion on the clean channel.
Weak cleans with massive fizz on the OD side.
It does big fuzzy tones well if that is your thing.
Not a blusey, mild crunch (Marshally) graceful transition to OD, imo.
You'll hear.
That's bad news... What about managing a really low presence? Does it help? On the other side, i have the Para Eq of my G system to tame the fizz, as I do with my EVH...

fechart

For what I've read, the Jmp needs to be dialed well, it's not a one trick pony. Controls don't react like a normal amp. Tomorrow I'll tell ya...

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
I am biased as I still hold a grudge about buying one when they were the 'great new thing' without a chance to wring it out thoroughly. It promised sooo much, looked good, nice build, nice controls. BUT!
Fortunately I bought and sold it for a good price.
They do have fans, so YMMV.
For fat but fuzzy ZZTop stuff of a certain era..perfect!

fechart

I am biased as I still hold a grudge about buying one when they were the 'great new thing' without a chance to wring it out thoroughly. It promised sooo much, looked good, nice build, nice controls. BUT!
Fortunately I bought and sold it for a good price.
They do have fans, so YMMV.
For fat but fuzzy ZZTop stuff of a certain era..perfect!
I hate fuzzy tones! Early EVH is what I dig more...

RayBarbeeMusic

Gold Supporting Member
I had one, loved it, regret selling it. I tried it with various power amps, including Mesa, Marshall Mono Block EL34, etc. The best sound IMO was with a Peavey 50/50 tube power amp, where each side had a quad of EL84s. Sounded great. Also sounded great into the front of 2 silver face bassmans.

fechart

I had one, loved it, regret selling it. I tried it with various power amps, including Mesa, Marshall Mono Block EL34, etc. The best sound IMO was with a Peavey 50/50 tube power amp, where each side had a quad of EL84s. Sounded great. Also sounded great into the front of 2 silver face bassmans.
The front? Not through the power amp section?

Serious Poo