NPD - 68 Pedals King Of Clone Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by skunizzi, May 26, 2019.

1. skunizzi

skunizzi Member

So I purchased a 68 Pedals King Of Clone Pedal mostly because I was curious as to what it actually sounded like. I recently also purchased a King Of Blues pedal from Tone City and I was not that impressed by it.

So far my initial feeling about this pedal is that it does seem to be well built with some decent components. Non of those tiny surface mounted components that can't really be repaired in this unit.

I really like the fact that the unit has dip switches inside that let you choose between clean-OD-Distortion for each switch so you can choose what you like or need for each specific venue. It also has a normal-high switch for each switch as well so you can get more volume or more dynamics as per your perference.

I tried the pedal with a few different amps. Friedman DS, Brunetti plexiglass-man, Fender Supersonic 22 and Fender Blues JR III. I was able to get nice tones with every one of the amps I tried.

I feel that the pedal is very versatile and can provide everything from a boost, OD and even distortion and with the right guitar and amp is well worth the money I paid for it.

I know that this pedal is supposed to be a clone of the King Of Tone pedal but since I don't own a real on I can't offer any direct comparisons of the two.

Overall I am very pleased with this purchase. If anyone else has this pedal I would like to hear your thoughts on it.

Thanks

jamme61, HeavyCream and Kevsonic like this.
  2. woolyh

woolyh Member

When people see what this pedal looks like they'll either want one or vow never to buy one. Pretty controversial design.

willyboy, coltonius and skunizzi like this.
  3. Kevsonic

Kevsonic Supporting Member

I agree with the OPs assessment of both pedals. I use mine as a tide-me-over to the real thing, because I won't come up on the waiting list until sometime in 2021. It sounds great on its own terms, and certainly better than the Tone City one.

jamme61, rwijaya and skunizzi like this.
  4. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

2021? Man life is both short and unpredictable, why not grab a used KOT now? I know it's a little more expensive, but if you own it for years to come, then it's money well spent. You could be enjoying that bad boy right now and in two years have played the heck out of it.

By the way, I don't own a KOT, so I'm not saying this because I have one, I'm just not a "wait for years" kind of guy when it comes to gear. Not sure how much more the used ones cost than a new one, or do you have a very special version being made?

5. Kevsonic

Kevsonic Supporting Member

Nope, no special version being made, but the price-gouging is just bananas. I would rather wait and get it from the guy himself, at which point I can flip the clone for roughly the Benjamin I paid for it, than to pad someone for their "investment piece".

rwijaya, fitzo and coltonius like this.
  6. Jazzandmore

I hear you on wanting to get it from the man himself. You have a good point about padding someone else’s pocket.

That being said I take a more let’s say pessimistic approach. Not knowing what the future holds I figure while I’ve got the means and I’m healthy and kickin’ I should enjoy things now :)

But as you said, the current pedal is satisfactory, and sounds good.

Kevsonic likes this.
  7. jamesw1301

jamesw1301 Member

Did you have any issues with shipping? It looks like on the reverb store the seller is based in China.

8. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

On the contrary, if more players were content to use a clone it could alleviate demand for secondhand KoTs and cause secondary prices to drop- or worse, people to keep-and-play their pedals!

I know you'd like to make the "riding Mike's coattails" argument, but one could easily argue Mike's riding Marshall's coattails. Mike just gets a pass because it's a modified Bluesbreaker and he's been around for a long, long time. It's a slippery slope.

volfox likes this.
  9. Jazzandmore

Uh...what are you talking about? I said zero about Mike or Marshall. I asked another individual why he was on waiting list rather than getting pedal used. He explained his reasoning.

I don’t own a KoT or a Marshall, and have zero to do with any coattails. If the other member wants to buy the pedal specifically from the builder, that’s 100% his choice in a free world. Don’t have any clue why you quoted me and started talking coattails.

10. rwijaya

rwijaya Member

OP: oh wow, that sounds pretty close to the real thing based on the youtube compressed sounds sample. I mostly judging from the way the pedal reacts which sound pretty close to my ears. The one obvious thing is the noise floor of the clone pedal seems to be higher than the real thing, i remember having KOT twice and the pedal is really quiet in term of the white noise level.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  11. coltonius

Because I know how you are regarding original doodads and whatsits. Sorry, didn't mean to get your knickers twisted so early. I'll wait till afternoon next time. ;)

12. Jazzandmore

So then you should have responded to @Kevsonic since he wants an original pedal from Mike.

13. coltonius

Okay.

14. skunizzi

skunizzi Member

No issues at all. I will eventually be making a video and posting it on my Youtube channel if you are interested.

rwijaya likes this.
  15. jamesw1301

jamesw1301 Member

That's good to hear as I am considering ordering. I would also love to hear some tones from a vid!

skunizzi likes this.
  16. KramerPacerCarreraGuy

KramerPacerCarreraGuy Member

I bought two, just because shipping was already $25 regardless of how many you buy. Ordered on Thursday, received on Tuesday. Similar to Ceriatone shipping speed.

Compared directly to my real King of Tone, and it's close enough that I would be fine taking it out on gigs. The real KOT sounds a touch smoother and richer, but you really have to try hard to hear the small differences. Pretty much just sounds like a tiny tweak on the EQ.

It's got the Neutric jacks, and those diodes look and sound almost the same.

Too bad the price went up, or else I would consider getting one or two more KOK's, because you can't even build a KOT clone on your own for those prices.

The only complaint is they smell like chemicals, and I had to leave them outside to air out for days! Was it the drying paint from the case? the electronic components? wiring???

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    InAbsentia and rwijaya like this.
  17. rwijaya

rwijaya Member

its probably from all the unregulated, cancer inducing chemicals/paint they use over there in china.

coltonius and chumbucket like this.
  18. KramerPacerCarreraGuy

KramerPacerCarreraGuy Member

that's why it's so cheap!

rwijaya likes this.
  19. rwijaya

rwijaya Member

its fine man, living on the edge, you only lives once, might as well enjoys it!

20. jamesw1301

jamesw1301 Member

You mentioned the price going up? I assume you mean the 68pedals KOC, what was the old price as opposed to the current price?