NPD - 68 Pedals King Of Clone Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by skunizzi, May 26, 2019.

1. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Member

I just placed an order right now. With the reviews, the pictures of the built quality and the video, that was enough to convince me. I had a KOT in the past and it's one pedal I've always missed. Seemed to always sound ''right'' for lack of a better description.

jamme61 likes this.
  2. KramerPacerCarreraGuy

KramerPacerCarreraGuy Member

give a review next week when you get it.

if you have the switch in the high gain setting, make sure you change

the opamp to the "H" opamp, as used in the KOT

I had ordered spares from analogman, and the markings on the chip are unreadable

3. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Member

Will def review it here when i get it. I'm not sure what you mean with the chip change, so if you use the pedals with the switch in high gain, you need to change the chip ?

4. KramerPacerCarreraGuy

KramerPacerCarreraGuy Member

you don't have to change the chip,

but when you order a high gain KOT, it is a different chip that analogman uses.

just buy a bunch of opamps for $1 each, and see which one sounds best to you

5. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Member

Ok, thanks. Makes sense

Do you know if the ''mystery'' H labeled opamp from Analogman is available somewhere ? Will they just sell this opamp ?

6. skunizzi

skunizzi Member

Mine smelled just fine...

7. chandra

chandra Member

I’ve been doing business with the builder since last year. Phenomenal guy. His other pedals are equally as good as the KoC and communication has always been quick and with full transparency.

I can’t say enough about how good this pedal is as an alternate take to a KoT. And shipping was very quick btw.

fabulusfab777 likes this.
  8. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Member

That is really good to know !!

9. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure that it's the same exact opamp, he only paints it so he remembers/knows which side to put it on when he assembles. The only difference is the value of the volume pot. (1Meg vs 500k?)
    At least I seem to remember Mike saying something along those lines a while back.

10. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Member

Just wanted to write in this thread that I've received my pedal last Thursday. I'm very very happy. Everything about it is on par with what I remember my old KOT to sound and feel like. I've tried it at band practice and behaved perfectly, it will knock at least one pedal off my board, possibly even two. Great build quality.

Kevsonic likes this.
  11. woolyh

woolyh Member

Curious why my post was deleted? I just pointed out the fact the guy who makes these also sells the same pedal elsewhere with the Analogman name and logo. Clones are one thing but counterfeits :dunno

12. jamme61

jamme61 Supporting Member

I have the 68 clone and like it a lot - I'm on the KOT list - I don't understand the wait time being so long - I have read that it keeps everyone working at AM shop- still sucks

13. a_ribbon

a_ribbon Member

there's a thing at the top of the guitar forums that says you're not supposed to talk about counterfeits. it may be a similar thing here on the pedal page.

14. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

No, the Gain pot is 100k regardless. They change the “minimum gain” capacitor from 10k > 100k so you get a higher range than the stock mode. There are a few EQ tweaks as well (at least according to the FSB High Gain trace), but that resistor is the biggest change.

15. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

Ah yes. Thank you for the accurate info! When I said 'volume pot', it was a Freudian slip (or whatever) I'm so used to using the terms 'volume pot' and 'tone pot' that I typed it, when I meant 'gain pot'.
    Still not the actual info though! So is the resistor wired to a lug of the pot? Or somewhere else in the circuit?

Fwiw, I have High Gain Both Sides (because I wasn't sure if I would end up wanting to switch orders, boost->drive as opposed to drive->boost) and I was unsure if I made a mistake by not keeping the yellow side normal gain. But I've had a chance to try out a normal gain side by side with mine, and I agree with AnalogMike that I can't hear an audible difference in tone or EQ. There's a visual difference between the two in regards to how far the gain pot is turned. But at least at 'band volumes' I couldn't hear any appreciable difference. Maybe that would change at whisper or bedroom volumes? But I doubt it. So I'm confident that I made the right choice (for me).

More options is more better-er.

coltonius likes this.