NPD: Acid Fuzz Fuzz Face

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by freddy_von, May 2, 2016.

1. freddy_von

freddy_von Member

Ive been on a bit of a Fuzz Face quest for a little while now. Have played a lot of different versions, germanium and silicon and numerous different transistor setups of both.

Recently I was lucky enough to score an Acid Fuzz Fuzz Face. NKT275 Red Dot transistors, which happen to be my favourite in a Fuzz Face, and all NOS components inside, not to mention it looks absolutely amazing. It arrived, I plugged it in, I was happy but not blown away. Opened it up to have a play with the bias trimmer inside. One tiny little turn and there it was...germanium Fuzz Face bliss. That thick, woolly, blown out fuzz tone that only a great Fuzz Face seems to be able to give.

Since then, I've been content with this Fuzz Face. No need to continue hunting. But then the fine folk at Acid Fuzz recently decided to build up another of their NKT275 goodness. Yep, if I'm going to get another Fuzz Face, it might as well be the twin of my favourite.

So, I got lucky and scored the darker grey Fuzz Face. After waiting for it to arrive from overseas, it finally landed. I was a little apprehensive when plugging in the new one as the bias adjustment wouldn't be possible on this one, as there's no internal trimmer. Well, I plugged it in and back to backed it with my other and there it was...that exact same tone that I get from the other.

Do I need two?...absolutely not.
    Do I want two?...hell yes.

[​IMG]

2. windjamma

windjamma Member

Sweet. i would like to try one of those.

freddy_von likes this.
  3. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

Nice snag! If I were to ever go the FF route a NKT275 base would without a doubt be my go to.

ScienceFriction and freddy_von like this.
  4. freddy_von

freddy_von Member

Yeah, I've always found that the NKT275 has been my pick of the bunch. From my understanding though, the stocks are starting to dry up and builders are having difficulty getting their hands on them.

5. NoThisIsPatrick

NoThisIsPatrick Member

That right there is my Fuzz Face grail.

freddy_von likes this.
  6. bobbradley

bobbradley Supporting Member

7. superslidetail

superslidetail Supporting Member

I'm loving mine too along with my Sonus '66 replica. I'm kinda glad I got mine direct from Jon when I did, his listings are skyrocketing on eBay.

freddy_von likes this.
  8. Moontrills

Moontrills Member

Yeah two is just too much for one person.
    I'll take one off your hands, free of charge...it's a win-win situation.

In all seriousness, congrats. :dude
    I'm sure they sound sweet as can be.

freddy_von likes this.
  9. freddy_von

freddy_von Member

How does the Sonus stack up? I've been keen to try one of those for a while too.

10. superslidetail

superslidetail Supporting Member

I like the Sonus just a bit more. I'd say it sounds more vintage correct to me, probably because the Acid has a hair more gain. The Sonus doesn't have a bias trimmer though so that might be a turn off to some people. Mine sounds great as it is though. Again, this is just comparing the two FF's I have, there can be slight variances comparing others.

Damn, just looked at the Sonus site. http://www.sonus-pedals.com/fuzz-face-replica-1966.html
    Looks like Patrizio raised his prices too, $100 more now. :brick

11. Stephen0351

Stephen0351 Supporting Member

I just picked up a Sonus 1966 FF, I'm stoked!

12. pulse.

pulse. Silver Supporting Member

Any gut pics please?