NPD: Afterneath

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Patient of Dr. Z, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Patient of Dr. Z

Patient of Dr. Z Member

On a total whim today I bought the Earthquaker Devices Afterneath. I went into my local mom & pop music store intending to buy a totally different pedal - an overdrive - and decided to try out the Afterneath instead. I quickly decided it would be the perfect pedal for hours of turning knobs and musical craziness.

Once I got it home I was initially disappointed with the more extreme sounds and began to doubt I would find a more consistently usable sound. I turned it off and played for a while without it and contemplated going back and returning it for the pedal I had originally wanted to buy.

Then I went back to the Afterneath and discovered that, for me anyway, the key is finding the right balance between the Length (=Decay) knob and the Mix knob. I settled on 1:30 for Length and 11:00 for Mix, which made for a nice otherworldly reverb that wasn't too overbearing. Leaving those two knobs alone, I could then twiddle the other knobs for more creative sounds that still didn't drown my guitar tone.

One small issue I still have with the pedal is the Drag knob, which goes between a more pingy, delay-like reverb (counterclockwise) and a regular reverb (clockwise). I find that when I turn it all the way counterclockwise there's a lot of background noise, kind of a high-pitched buzzing. But the noise leaves once I get the knob to about 10:00.

Otherwise, I'm really liking this pedal a lot, after only a few hours. If anyone's interested I'll write more about it once I get to explore it some more.

2. ummohyeah

ummohyeah Member

I'd be interested to hear what else you find within the pedal. Big fan of EQD and in particular their reverb/delay pedals. I have a Ghost Echo at the moment and it's great, but sometimes I wish I had the Afterneath. So many sounds I hear in the demo videos remind me of Slowdive's Souvlaki album.

3. Patient of Dr. Z

Patient of Dr. Z Member

I just spent some more time with this pedal. I should say that I tend to play more bluesy, alt-rock type of music, and yesterday I was able to find a fairly low-mix setting as an unobtrusive yet slightly demented reverb for such style.

Today I went all shoegaze with the pedal. Got a nice pingy reverb, almost like a delay, like a marble falling down stairs. Turned on my Flashback X4 and Hall of Fame, and it was all very ethereal. Then I went nuts, turned on all my dirt pedals, and finally my POG2 with the attack high for a cello-like tone and started scratching and randomly tapping on the strings and dive bombing with the whammy bar. It was insane and immense, and lots of fun.

In short, the Afterneath is very cool. It's sort of a delay-type reverb. Or a reverb-type delay. It can color your tone in a unique, but understated way, and it can also give you more weirdness if you want it.

4. The Villano Dude

The Villano Dude Member

I like these things you say. Sounds awesome.

5. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Nice. This is one of the pedals on my list to try.

6. Yarnhawk

Yarnhawk Member

Defs on my list. I almost scored one off craigslist but only emailed the guy the same night that someone else bought it.

7. hereandgone18

hereandgone18 Member

I just got an Afterneath on Friday as well, so I'm also very new to it. But I like your assessment of it so far, particularly the part I quoted above. It seems to stack nicely with other pedals. Running my Dispatch Master into the Afterneath gets a HUGE ambience going.

EQD is going to take over my whole board at this rate...