NPD - AMT M-1 Preamp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gollumsluvslave, Feb 11, 2015.

1. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

Having just transitioned to an IEM setup, and seeing the odd positive nugget about AMT preamps here on TGP (hadn't heard about much of them before I frequented TGP!!), I took a punt on the Marshall M-1 in a recent Ebay auction.

[​IMG]

I had a good listen to the Burgs demos on Youtube and figured it was worth a bash.

Initial observations based on a direct play into my audio interface using the Cab Sim out

+ Cab Sim is REALLY good combined with the preamp - better than my Big Sky on initial playing.
    + Actual Marshall sounds are seriously good! Sounds more Marshall to me than my SL Drive
    + Stacks VERY nicely with the Blackstar LT-Metal pedal - this is the best metal sound i've ever got DI'd into my interface, seriously sweet!
    + Stacks ok the other distortions, but not as nice as the Blackstar
    - Very little clean headroom, this is a gain preamp!
    - This is a very bright preamp, but then the JCM800 is noted as being a bright amp so no surprise there.
    - Doesn't play well into the front of an amp - but that is well documented on the AMT site for the Legend 1 series.

For my setup, the M-1 isn't going to work as the 'last in chain' preamp (although I think I will get by with it in rehearsal tonight, my cleans will be a bit dirty tho!), but this is a great Marshall JCM800 sim!

This will be really cool to have hooked up to my living room interface for riff creation, once the gain is cranked, the sounds are really convincing!

Additionally, from a recording point of view, the Blackstar LT-Metal into the M-1 was a thing of beauty, can't wait to hook that up to one of my amps FX Returns and do some recording!

Anyway, I've been so impressed with this preamp, I've placed an order for the F-1 (Fender Clean) and the V-1 (Vox) preamps from the same series - the cab sim is a known quantity, so I don't think I can lose out!

2. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

What audio interface are you using?

I'm considering going ampless for a while and had my eye on these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Apegryn

Apegryn Member

Haven't played legend series, but own a SS-20 tube preamp, two fatal tube preamps and a CN-1 cab sim from AMT... Equally good all of them, knocked my A/DA preamp and cab sim off my board, as well as tech21 sansamp classic and GT-2.

Would love to try the legend series, but can't test them in any of my local stores.

4. tuj

tuj Member

Would love to try an SS-11A but man they are pricey! The demos sound really good though. Also their rack preamp sounds really good in the demos as well.

5. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

I'm using the Edirol UA-1000 USB Interface.

6. Nystuss

Nystuss Member

I'm curious about the D2 preamp. Burgs' demo is great, but there isn't a lot of info out there.

7. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

Post rehearsal report (bear in mind this was a direct cab sim IEM setup using Jamhub!):-

Very impressed!

My worries about clean headroom were overblown, the M-1 responds well to picking dynamics and cleans up well with volume put adjustments.

The fact that digging in gets a bit dirty gave a couple of songs last night a nicer dimension and may simplify my pedal selection for them!

Much better than my previous IEM session which was using my Blackstar HT-60 amps cabinet emulator output, which I didn't like very much.

So far so good! Looking forward to compare the F-1 and V-1!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  8. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

I have the V1 and I don't use it the intended way. I actually run it in front of backline amps to turn the base tone into a Vox.
    Fantastic pedal; saved me a thousand times. Preferred it to the Liverpool and the Egnater Tweaker AC setting I was testing against at the store.

I tried the M2 and C2 at the shop and was highly impressed too. Didn't try the M1 though!

9. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

You are spot on with the V1 - it and the F-1 arrived yesterday. I'm just as impressed as with the M-1 if not more so!

[​IMG]

These AMT preamps are an under the radar gem!!

I plugged in the V-1 straight into my interface, set gain to about 10 O'clock, and it was JUST like my AC30, really uncanny! Same feel, same dynamics! Wonderful.

Now I've never owned a Fender Twin, but the F-1 is equally as impressive - different feel and dynamics, and the gain structure is obviously different.

Highly recommended for direct recording!

Really looking forward to cranking them through a power amp!

10. mac jones

mac jones Member

One thing about the M2 that is curious. Apparently, it's sort of an M1 'deluxe', in that it has 3 outputs : Cab, amp, or line.

One output bypasses the M2 amp stage, one bypasses the M2 cab stage, and the other uses all three stages.

Now, this is cool, as you can use all 3 at the same time! But i'm thinking a simple switch would do the same thing (except for the multiple outputs, which is why they did it that way. This thing has a serious MIAB thing going :D

11. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

did u run any pedals before or after?

12. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

At the rehearsal, the M-1 was at the end of my chain, the very last pedal - basically it is my 'Amp' for the IEM rehearsals.

Pedals in front of the M-1

Dirt:-
    Blackstar LT-Metal - with the M-1 at about 9pm on the gain dial, this is a superb higain/ alt metal sound -as good as I've had.

SL Drive - this wasn't quite as nice - dunno if there is too much MIAB going on, but it was ok, but not as great as the SL Drive usually is.

Suhr Riot - took this nicely, great for leads.

Wampler Leviathan Fuzz - no issues, great fuzz sounds!

TC Nova Drive - my low-mid gainer took on a new dimension, had more dynamics and life to it, really nice.

All my Strymon's (BigSky, Timeline and Mobius) had no issues at all.