NPD and it's a boring one for many, boom sauce for me!

GreatDaneRock

Yeah yeah, I've read all the threads and I'm contributing zero to what's already been said.

I went to guitar center, traded in two pedals that were of low quality and not being used, got $27 for them, and by adding another $29 I walked out of the store with a new Boss SD-1.

It's a killer boost pedal, (yes, we all know) whether used before or after other dirts boxes, or in front of a cooking amp, Marshall style.

I use it with pedals, pushing an OCD clone, Hustle Drive run at 12v, and it's just killer. I tried a ts9 and it wasn't the same results, not the same style of clipping and feel, which was obvious to my ears and fingers.

I knew a mid-boosted pedal would work well, as on my main pedal board I am pushing an OCD v2.1 run at 18v with a Barber Game changer set in mid bump style, low gain, run at 12v, incredible. OCD is very amp like, so it likes push.

But what's really surprising me is how good the SD-1 sounds on its own with the gain cranked up! Now, all my dirt boxes ultimately feed a Timmy-style pedal acting as an amp on the verge, that is my real secret sauce. The way the SD-1 sounds into the Timmy clone, then into the clean channel of my Peavey Classic 20, heavenly!

Ok, carry on

GDR

Attachments

• IMG_20220622_125634.jpg
    IMG_20220622_125634.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 7

GreatDaneRock

An SD-1 might just be the first pedal you try if you’re looking for some extra sizzle. It’s never sounded bad in any amp I’ve ever used.
I agree, given what I know now and given how many distortion and overdrive boxes I've tried over the years, my first recommendation to a new guitarist would be to get an sd1 and an amp in a box style pedal if their amp is not capable of nice harmonic distortion, and because I'm biased towards the OCD I would recommend it too.

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
I have one for every gig bag. It may not always be my first choice, but in a pinch I’ve never met a back line amp I can’t get a usable tone out of with an SD-1.

Short Tooth

Man, I can't tell how much regret I have going all in on A-Symetrical clipping thinking it was ALWAYS better to preserve some of your original tone. Then I tried the SD-1 and my TubeScreamer is BEARLY holding on...

the revenant GIF

Short Tooth

Only thing that would make it better is if it said "OD-3". :p
jk
Enjoy and make some music.
Not that you should care, not OP. But this is so high on my wishlist. I'm just scared to go further down the rabbit hole. Current TS --> Plumes --> SD-1 -->DS-1

I should pull the Plumes and try an OD-3, I need to face that Boss is slowly Zerg rushing my board...

Damn it!.. I just fell in love with the Plumes after TGPing how overrated it was...

FuzzyAce

Not that you should care, not OP. But this is so high on my wishlist. I'm just scared to go further down the rabbit hole. Current TS --> Plumes --> SD-1 -->DS-1

I should pull the Plumes and try an OD-3, I need to face that Boss is slowly Zerg rushing my board...

Damn it!.. I just fell in love with the Plumes after TGPing how overrated it was...
Just get one, you'll be glad you did. I was a diehard TS9 guy for a while (still love em), but the OD-3 is honestly more useful IMO. Less of that mid hump but still warm enough with good top end.

Sorry to derail OP. :)

GreatDaneRock

Only thing that would make it better is if it said "OD-3". :p
jk
Enjoy and make some music.
I seriously thought about it, and it would have been the pedal to get if an always on transparent OD was what was looking for. But in this case I needed the mid bump, and the SD-1 delivered.

I regret the fact at some point I had a through-hole component DS-1 but got rid of it because at the time it wasn't the sound I was looking for, nor I was interested in having any Boss on my board.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom