1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

NPD Astrotone - Give me some tips!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bicktrav, May 24, 2011.

1. bicktrav

bicktrav Member

In what was the first impulse gear purchase of my life, I just bought the Analogman Astrotone. Normally, I mull pedal/amp/guitar purchases over to no end, but I've been having trouble using my Sunface live and recently read on Analogman's webpage that the Astrotone was designed in part to be easier to use in a live setting. So I went to my local shop, and they had one left. After about 30 minutes with it, I threw my card down and took the plunge!

So far I have to say that the Astrotone is amazing, but I haven't had much time with it yet, so I don't know all of its tricks at this point.

So all you Astrotone users, I need your help! How do use the pedal? Does it react best with a clean amp/dirty amp/something in between? How do you set the tone control? The volume? The fuzz? How does it interact with the volume knob on your guitar? I'd love to hear any and all of your thoughts!

2. marvelboy_04

marvelboy_04 Member

this is relevant to my interests

3. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

Lots of opinions on this one but I like to keep mine at unity volume (about 11:00), Fuzz between 11:00 to 2:00, and Tone between 9:00-12:00 - my standard setting is 11:00, 11:00, 9:00. I use the neck pickup on my Strat, clean amp, and play mostly rhythm with my guitar volume from half-way up to max. Cleans up great with the guitar volume knob.

I prefer it as an OD for classic rock and run it into my Tim for more gain/volume. I don't really use it as a fuzz but as a fuzzy OD. It works well with a dirty amp as well.

4. erksin

erksin Member

Amp just breaking up

V - maxed
    F - 12:00
    T - fully CCW

It's basically playing the part of a dirty booster at these settings - with the amp cooking, it'll sound just fuzzy enough to let you know you're playing through a fuzz but it still keeps a tight attack and a lot of punch and clarity.

5. bicktrav

bicktrav Member

This sounds like exactly the tone I'm going for. But would having the tone rolled totally counter-clockwise work live? Seems like you'd lose to much treble and get lost in the mix that way.

6. erksin

erksin Member

You should go back and read the description of the control on the website.

This thing cuts like a knife with the Tone fully CCW - it's not cutting treble at all, it's just filling in the mids and bottom end that is completely missing from the original Sam Ash Fuzz sound that is at the fully CW position. If anything, it's flat EQ-wise at the CCW setting. You should be getting plenty of bite using the Fuzz knob to deal with the high end content...

He should have labeled it a Fat control instead of Tone. Seriously one of the most useful one knob EQ circuits this side of the HBOD.

7. bicktrav

bicktrav Member

Very cool. Thanks for the info!

8. erksin

erksin Member

It's not a simple treble roll off deal - I think people don't fully realize that since that is usually the case with a single tone control pedal.

Really versatile for a three knobber, and it solves the issue of running a FF type pedal into smaller combos which usually can't handle the bass content. I used to think my old '90s '69 was my favorite FF type until the ATF showed up, I haven't plugged the '69 in since.

9. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

i choose to use same as erksin

i think the pedal holds a value beyond fuzzyness and teeters close to 70's distortion with humbuckers. i love the entire package; led, exterior power, tone control, color, graphics. analogman pedals are really cool and musical sounding in very intuitive ways, straight out of the box and onto the board.

10. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

The CCW tone knob deal is the way to go.

11. Zero G

Zero G Member

Brush your teeth every day.

12. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

it's an AMAZING sounding fuzz - i only got to demo it for a couple of days, then that darned Scott Auld heard it at my house and took it away!!! :eeks

great fuzz - like erksin said, that tone control is not your usual tone control. use your ears. try it ALL. and have FUN!:YinYang

13. -DC/AC-

-DC/AC- Member

Like a few others, I'm finding the tone control to be a bit mysterious. I can't hear a discernable difference when the tone is at noon vs fully CCW. When I crank it CW, I hear that famous Sam Ash fuzz sound though.

It's still an awesome pedal. Works very well with my Les Paul and Peavey Classic 30 :dude

14. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

i've only have mine for a few weeks, and i too am still getting the hang of it... i use clean fender amps with strats (but is sounds super sweet with a gretsch too). i like mine at: volume-unity, around 1 or 2 oclock. fuzz-max. tone-11 or noon ish.

i still haven't mastered the tone knob. i like the CCW, but then when i switch to another pedal, then back again, it just doesn't sound right to me. i dunno. when i roll the volume knob though, i get that glassy trebly tone that fuzzfaces are famous for.

i absolutely love this pedal. it has so many applications. and it plays really well with other pedals too. run it into an OD. run your sunface into it too for exxxxxtra fuzz! have fun!

15. bicktrav

bicktrav Member

So I used the Astrotone last night with my band and wow! It's fantastic! I rolled the tone control full CCW like so many have recommended. Sure enough, it sounded amazing. I'm still kind of stunned that putting a tone knob CCW can help a pedal cut through the mix, but that's exactly what it did. Sounded unbelievable. I also experimented some with my guitar's volume knob, rolling it back with the fuzz up then dialing it up for solos. It definitely doesn't clean up like my sunface, but backing off the guitar's volume provides some nice dynamic control. I was able to get some great, live fuzz tones and some really awesome light distortion too. My band does a cover of Rebel Rebel and I was able to dial in that iconic guitar tone easy, which I certainly hadn't expected to be able to do with a fuzz. Bottom line: This pedal is a serious winner!

16. jboyjams

jboyjams Member

I have one being delivered today - looking forward to getting out of work here more than usual.

I'm playing Saturday and already removed my Fuzz Face to give this one a try.

I found that very few pedals can boost my already heavily pushed Marshall 2x12 combo. I can do it with some clean boosts or ODs set clean and a white dot sunface with some clean knob adjustment.

Will the AtroTone have as much output and cut as a cranked white dot Sunface?

(all Fuzz Faces sound great thru my half stacks, Plexi's, etc... it's the combo that makes it a challenge)

17. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

Not 100% sure. The Astrotone is pretty low gain, so i doubt it. IMO it's like the 808 of fuzzes. I have a high gain white dot sunface, never played a regular white dot... although it should still be able to crank your marshall.

18. jboyjams

jboyjams Member

Actually I set my regular White Dot up for lower gain via the clean knob. This helps it cut a lot.
    Since my Marshall combo is already pushed way up, high gain pedals do not work and can bury me in the mix.

I am thinking I will be cranking the volume on the Astro and then working in as much gain as I can take without getting buried.
    I am glad to hear that it's lower gain and possibly this might be why AM advertises it as an easier to use/cut FF type.

I'm hoping it will sound like a Fuzz though when using it like this - and not like a typical boost/OD.

19. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

there we go!! you'll be really happy with it then!!! :) a lot of guys that mess with the trimpot on their sunfaces really like the astrotone. awesome! have fun man!

20. erksin

erksin Member

I think you should get pretty good results - like I said, it gives you just enough of a fuzz flavor that you won't mistake it for an OD but it holds together and cuts better than a typical FF.

It's the perfect fuzz for combo amp users, IMO.