• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

NPD: Bearfoot Honey Beest 4-Knob

MrSoGood

Yes it does, thanks much! Can't wait until I have some more money to try some more of your pedals.

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
Oh this might help....

..on the HBst4 turn the pregain full left/off to start at closest to an HB standard.
then as you turn the pregain up it gains Saturation and Treble - hence the name: Bee S T

the 3 knob BeeST has the pregain at about 3 oclock on the 4knobs pregain knob.

does that make sense ?
Awesome, that's great to know. Very helpful info. Thanks again.

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
Almost, the Beest is tweeked a hair to perform more apparopriately at fuller gain settings and throughout its range - it has a little less bottom overall - which you may not notice much unless you run your Honey Bee with the nature full left.

Its nothing earth shattering, its just the correct pregain boost for this circuit in most applications in a single box/in/out/power tap .... and its really versatile for a 4 knob box....

but you would still have more control with a separate unit like a Timmy pre HB ...
Whoa I think I missed this earlier... Are you saying the entire range overall of the Beest has less bottom end/bass in it compared to the Bee?
Or does this less bass apply ONLY at certain settings?

rawkguitarist

OK... I've had a Honey Bee on my wish list for a while. I'm going to get a Beest now... (when my "allowance" is available).

Donner and Bjorn rule! :dude

Don Rusk

BearFoot FX Owner
Vendor
Whoa I think I missed this earlier... Are you saying the entire range overall of the Beest has less bottom end/bass in it compared to the Bee?
Or does this less bass apply ONLY at certain settings?
I think its more that the Nature control, full left, isnt as bassy-bloated, which most people dont use, so probably most people unless they had them next to each other wouldnt notice ---- I guess the correct way to say that is the Nature control doesnt go quite as far into to bass boosting territory.

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
I think its more that the Nature control, full left, isnt as bassy-bloated, which most people dont use, so probably most people unless they had them next to each other wouldnt notice ---- I guess the correct way to say that is the Nature control doesnt go quite as far into to bass boosting territory.
Awesome! Thanks for the clarification!

MrSoGood

Rehearsal / Live update:

I played the 4-Knob Beest last night at rehearsal, and it did not disappoint. After selling off a few, this is my only overdrive on the board right now. So my setup was EP Booster into HBOD into a clean boost. It still gave me my nice rhythm crunch that I had with my BB, and I boosted into it with the EP for a little more saturation. But by the end of the night, I just turned the pregain and drive up a little for my lead sounds, and backed off the volume on the guitar for the rhythm. So I may put the EP booster as the clean boost, and bump another pedal off. I never liked the sound of the BB with the volume rolled off on the guitar that much, but I could see this pedal just being on all the time. I'm really, really pleased with this purchase.

rawkguitarist

OK... I've had a Honey Bee on my wish list for a while. I'm going to get a Beest now... (when my "allowance" is available).

Donner and Bjorn rule! :dude
OK, finally purchased a Honey Beest, like I said I would... :cool:

Most of the time I get dirt boxes to be used on their own, with a clean amp. The Beest sounds really good in this regard. BUT, as a boost into a dirty amp or boosting other pedals (as a "true overdrive"), it's the best I've heard. Period. Even great lower gain OD's make other pedals and amps sound like a compressed, muddy and noisy mess IMO. Not the case with the Honey Beest. It's extremely quiet (amazingly), tight and uncompressed. I think I like it best with the pregain off and the volume cranked and the drive set to taste. But I'm glad I have the extra gain on tap.

It certainly has less gain than I actually hoped, but seeing how great a boost it is I assume this is by design. And I wouldn't change that for how useful this pedal will be for me.

Great job Bjorn and Donner - this is about as good as a boost/overdrive in the strict funtional form can get.

MattNgai

I'm checkout both pedals now, apparently the beest has more gain so i'll probably go for the bee to replace my SD1 which will be hard, my second pedal ever and nothing has replaced it so far

cwcashiniv

I've been using the Honey Beest and the Timmy on my board exclusively in the dirt section of my board (playing LP through '69 Super Reverb). I have the HBeest first, running into the Timmy. I use Timmy for all low-gain/just breaking up stuff, switch for rhythm stuff, and for leads/power rhythm, I stack them. PERFECT for me (I have a Diamond Comp always on before them for cleans).

I always hated tubescreamers. I remember when I first tried a HBOD - I got so giddy with excitement. My burst Beest has earned a very permanent spot on my board. I always get compliments on the tones I'm achieving with this pedal! :aok

tashiattack

For those who stack the honey bee with the timmy, how much gain can you get with this combo? Is it possible to get into classic heavy rock/metal territory? I've always liked the sound of two timmy's stacked together, but I'm thinking of picking up a bee to stack with the timmy for a nice hi gain sound.

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
Well I have been wanting one of these for a long time it seems. And I was finally able to get one. I'm so excited. I will have this and a HBOD on my board constantly for play. I think they are different enough to have both and one can't replace the other. The HBOD is my favorite OD and I just need another version with higher gain for rock stuff and this is my answer, so stoked. Plus I got the custom "Shine Top" version as well.

What's everyone's current opinions of this pedal? Seems like many didn't like it.

AceBSpankin

Prince of Ales
Gold Supporting Member
Congrats Abandoned! I'm still rockin' mine that and the Kot have stayed on my board for awhile now.
Enjoy!!

Top Bottom