NPD: Bondi Sick As (vs. Silver Klon Centaur)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SFT, May 5, 2015.

1. SFT

SFT Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Bondi Sick As finally arrived today. I put it head to head with my beloved Silver Klon Centaur, with my Gibson Les Paul into my Tone King Metropolitan clean channel.

The Verdict: I never thought I would say this, but the Bondi had the slight edge over the Klon. Slightly more transparent than the Klon, but wow, absolutely the the best overdrive pedal I've ever played. I still love my Klon and both are awesome in their own right and both will stay on my pedalboard, but the Bondi Sick As has easily become my #1 overdrive, and at $199 it's a fricking steal.

It sounds better than any of my other overdrive pedals listed below (ok, the Skreddy Mayo and Park Fuzz aren't overdrives, but they're badass enough in their own right to make a cameo appearance):
    [​IMG]

I have no affiliation whatsoever with Bondi, but do yourself a favor and pick up one of these beasts. This is definitely a legendary pedal.

Sociophile and Mattygriffo like this.
  2. adamc214

adamc214 Supporting Member

I love mine. I run it with the gain on 0 or 11 for a little hair on it. Seriously considering getting two of these and stacking them. I love how the bass control really gets the air moving in my rig.

3. Wagster

Wagster Member

Been a main stay on my board a while. i also have a Wessex and Burnley which I love but the Sick As gets the most use. My settings are almost the same as yours in the pic you posted. Great sounding OD.

4. Mark Ray

Mark Ray We're Jammin' Gold Supporting Member

I stack my Bondi with a Rock Your Repaired Amp klone from our very own Shane here on TGP. It's working great like this!

5. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

The student surpasses the master?

mcuguitar and EL34 like this.
  6. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Silver Supporting Member

I love my Bondi Del Mar (their take on the TS and BB circuits, in a single small enclosure). Makes every guitar I own sound better.

7. Wagster

Wagster Member

I'm not the OP but I have owned an original Silver Klon. The Klon has this really nice warm thing going on and that sounds great for slamming the front end of an amp where as the Sick AS has a better sounding OD and also sounds good slamming the front end of an amp. I like the klon best for this but overall the Sick AS is my favorite..

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    Holzar88 likes this.
  8. SFT

SFT Member

Yup, I am a true believer. Although I wouldn't call the Bondi a Klon clone. It has it's own thing going on, and doesn't color the amp as much as the Klon. I also find it to be much more versatile than the Klon. I just find the Bondi to have richer harmonics and more transparent mids.

Christian Rosado likes this.
  9. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

That's not surprising.

10. mousepunk

mousepunk Member

I bought a Sick As hoping that it could replace the ARC Klone and Fulltone OCD V3 on my board to get some free space for fuzzes. No miracle this time, the ARC Klone is much better as a clean boost, and OCD is a winner as an overdrive for me. But the search is going on.

11. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

AGREED! I will never sell mine. It's stayed on my pedalboard the longest of any pedal I've owned. Love it.

12. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

I never understood this....Klons color your tone and aren't "clean" Should just say better as a boost or mid boost.

13. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

Yep. I also have a Sick As and a silver Klon, and while I do love the Klon, the Sick As is definitely a killer overdrive pedal in it's own right and a very versatile Klon-type circuit.

14. mousepunk

mousepunk Member

Saying "clean boost" i mean "boosts signal but doesn't break it up". And the way ARC Klone boosts clean is very tasty :)

15. Redrum

Redrum Member

The more I experiment with my Sick As the more I appreciate it. Use it in front of a Barber Gain Changer as a low gain grit enhancer, even though I usually keep mine in it's "high-gain" setting with my Suhr Classic. Great pedal for cutting through a busy band mix. The active, wide-ranging EQ is very powerful and worthy of mention in it's own right.

Seems like most SA owners use the pedal as more of a Klone-like clean boost in the low gain setting (which it does very well) but for me, the high gain setting is money. Stacks well too.

Great pedal.

dpgreek likes this.
  16. Mattygriffo

Mattygriffo Member

Totally agree with this review. I picked up a Bondi sick as (gold) a few months ago after a fairly extensive search for a new OD pedal. The sick as is an amazing pedal for sure!

mcuguitar likes this.