NPD: Boss Power Stack

flyonthewall150

Silver Supporting Member
I thought the ST-2 sounded terrible. It sounds like a bad POD 2.0 preset in a pedal. Blanket over the speaker and very noisy on higher gain settings. Had the thing boxed up and ready to return within thirty minutes.

The BC-2 on the other hand sounds much better

mesa/boogieman

Now THAT is interesting. I have been using an OD-3 on and off for about 15 years or so and it's my go-to pedal for low gain sounds. If I could get a higher gain version on that pedal.......hmmmm......

I would TOTALLY agree with this notion! This is the first gain/drive pedal that I've actually used with the gain (called sound) knob totally turned down. I was plugged into a Strat this morning with it down all the way and was getting a nice "Wind Cries Mary" type of sound.

mesa/boogieman

I mean that when plugged into a non-Marshall, I think it gives you more of a Marshall vibe, if that makes sense. Specially with a lower gain setting and playing with the very effective tone knobs. I swear you can hear greenbacks at one spot. I don't hear that sort of detail throught my JTM45(a very good one), even when turned down.

You're very right about the tone knobs. I thought that I'd miss the "middle" knob but the bass and treble and sound knobs all interact so nicely with each other.

I am using this with an Orange Tiny Terror. Very nice sound coming out of it.

sinasl1

at half gain, it's getting real gainy. IMHO. I might use it up to 6 on the gain but that's like, rather distorted at that point. Like a cranked JCM800 and even a ways beyond. I like the pedal more with gain below 5. I think it's a total winner for most Marshall-in-a-box cravings

I-IV-V

Silver Supporting Member
at half gain, it's getting real gainy. IMHO. I might use it up to 6 on the gain but that's like, rather distorted at that point. Like a cranked JCM800 and even a ways beyond. I like the pedal more with gain below 5. I think it's a total winner for most Marshall-in-a-box cravings

I agree. I would call anything above 5 very high gain.

saladin

My ST-2 stacks nicely into the OD-3 but now I'm wondering about the BC-2, does anyone have both the ST-2 and the BC-2???

I-IV-V

Silver Supporting Member
My ST-2 stacks nicely into the OD-3 but now I'm wondering about the BC-2, does anyone have both the ST-2 and the BC-2???

Ha, no I haven't owned both.

I went to GC. I hadn't played through their Boss pedal display in ages. I was really surprised. Every pedal (probably 25 or 30) were connected and working properly. When you plug a cable into the display, they all have power. I have no idea what powers the speaker, but the setup was excellent to demo the pedals. It sounded very good with what seemed to be an even EQ.

I asked a GC dude what kind of amp it was, he said he didn't know, maybe something like a Roland Cube?

The BC-2 wasn't in the display, so I played the ST-2 through the display, and the GC dude, being overly helpful, plugged the BC-2 into a Bassman RI. I should have just plugged the pedal into the front pedal in the display.

So, you have to take the rest with a grain of salt.

The BC-2 sounded too bright to me, but I think that is just the deal with these pedals, everyone will have their preference, but they are both great.

To me, the ST-2 seemed to be more versatile, good at low gain (and no gain - surprising clean boost) and the EQ is excellent. But, a lot of guys like the BC-2 better.

The moral of the story is, the Boss display seems to be a hell of a lot better than in the past, so if you can get to a GC, play them both through the display and you should be able to tell which one you like.

Also, I was able to switch any combination of the pedals on and off and they all worked, like the TR-2, Delay, all of them.

jazzfromhell

Yup, I have both.
I have the BC-2 on my main board for Vox-y, low/med gain tones and it really has a great midrange "snarl/grunt" :huh to it, it cuts very well in a mix. I try to get a Keith Scott/The Edge kinda tone and it works really well, but it also does the higher-gain May Vox tones as demonstrated in Pete Thorns demo. My main distortion on that board is the Plexitone and that combo is great.

With the ST-2 and BC-2 Boss has hit a homerun.

I realise now that Ive bought those two plus the Plexitone all because of Pete´s demos! Good job Pete! :)

mesa/boogieman

Yup, I have both.
I have the BC-2 on my main board for Vox-y, low/med gain tones and it really has a great midrange "snarl/grunt" :huh to it, it cuts very well in a mix. I try to get a Keith Scott/The Edge kinda tone and it works really well, but it also does the higher-gain May Vox tones as demonstrated in Pete Thorns demo. My main distortion on that board is the Plexitone and that combo is great.

With the ST-2 and BC-2 Boss has hit a homerun.

I realise now that Ive bought those two plus the Plexitone all because of Pete´s demos! Good job Pete! :)

I'd like to do get the BC-2 someday and put it on my board with the ST-2 so I can cover Marshall and Vox territory.

mesa/boogieman

Do these pedal have that 'amp sim' sound or more of a 'analog pedal infront of your amp' sound?

Honestly man I think it sounds like a true part of the amp it's such a natural sound and cleans so beautifully by just picking lighter. Very organic

mesa/boogieman

I have played through both the ST-2 and the BC-2, as well as their Fender-in-a-box offerings. I decided to stick with my Tech21 pedals.

Boss doesn't seem to want these to be full on amp sims (for going direct), but rather in-front-of-the-amp "channels." I like the full sim approach, which could be why these weren't for me. But they were good, and if I were playing with a combo amp and wanted a totally different amp sound, I'd look at these again for sure.

What are some of your Tech21 pedals? I've been curious about those.

mesa/boogieman

I've been playing it a lot lately with the sound knob up to about 3/4 and even all the way dimed. I like the way that sounds through a Strat. Really thickens up the tone on the bridge pickup.

StormJH1

How does the low end sound on the Power Stack? I've tried it out in Guitar Center a few times, but only at pretty low volumes. I dig that you have two EQ knobs, but like so many BOSS distortion pedals (except for the Metal Zone, Mega Distortion, etc.), I'm a little worried it isn't "thick" enough.

Also, I was a little concerned that you don't really have a "Gain" control, though the "Sound" knob more or less doubles as a gain control as you go from "Crunch" to "Ultra" (the latter of which is actually pretty high-gain).

mesa/boogieman

How does the low end sound on the Power Stack? I've tried it out in Guitar Center a few times, but only at pretty low volumes. I dig that you have two EQ knobs, but like so many BOSS distortion pedals (except for the Metal Zone, Mega Distortion, etc.), I'm a little worried it isn't "thick" enough.

Also, I was a little concerned that you don't really have a "Gain" control, though the "Sound" knob more or less doubles as a gain control as you go from "Crunch" to "Ultra" (the latter of which is actually pretty high-gain).

The sound knob works like a gain/EQ control. The higher the sound knob is turned, it turns down the mids a little bit too. I think the bass is actually quite nice on it. I turn the bass control up to about 1:00 when I have the Strat plugged in and it gives it a nice low end response.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom