NPD: Browne Protein

TeleTex82

Silver Supporting Member
Just received this last night. Have yet to plug into it but this is how im thinking of starting and then adjusting placement/levels accordingly. Part of me thinks maybe I have too many drives, but the other part of me always wants one more. Thank Jebus I have a tiny pedalboard. Running into my 12" PRRI.
20220617_092022.jpg

petty1818

Awesome! I really wanted to like the Protein, but found the blue side to bit too bright/thin and the green side to be a bit too compressed/muffled. Other people love it though so it could just be my setup!

TeleTex82

Silver Supporting Member
OP, I think you’ll find that the 1-2-3 punch of a boost—>LS—>Protein is pretty much perfection. And no, it’s not too many drives, IMO!

If I hadn’t been lucky enough to score one of the new Tim v3’s, this would still be might set-up…

Nice! Id be interested to hear more about your application/settings if you get the chance.

Last edited:

Xbalanque

If I hadn’t been lucky enough to score one of the new Tim v3’s, this would still be might set-up…

Hey Mr Bill, where in your order of pedals do you use your Page? I have one, and I like how it sounds, but wonder if I could be using it differently. I have a plumes and a Special Cranker I use also.

Geetarman74

Gold Supporting Member
The Protein is a great pedal. I find myself mostly running both sides together, actually. Great lead tone that way.

bluejaybill

Silver Supporting Member
The Protein has kicked my KOT off my board!
Understood, but if you have a double drive, you really shouldn't need any other drives, especially on a small board like the OP's.

On my small board I have a KOT, a tuner, compressor, and an analog delay. Oh, and an old Boss Vibrato. If I want to add a drive it is added in front, but not really needed.

TeleTex82

Silver Supporting Member
Understood, but if you have a double drive, you really shouldn't need any other drives, especially on a small board like the OP's.

On my small board I have a KOT, a tuner, compressor, and an analog delay. Oh, and an old Boss Vibrato. If I want to add a drive it is added in front, but not really needed.
After a week with the Protein the set up I've found to work best for me is the Greer as an always on with the drive at or slightly below noon. I stack it with either side of the Protein depending on the song for rhythm parts, then use the RC to boost that combination for solos, Ill use channel 1 on the RC for edge of breakup to lower gain solos and red for higher gain solos. I like the Greer stacked with either side of the Protein more than the green and blue stacked together. The Greer doesn't change the tonality of the Protein, it just gives it this more lush/3D quality that I really dig.

Guitarbrett

Silver Supporting Member
Awesome! I really wanted to like the Protein, but found the blue side to bit too bright/thin and the green side to be a bit too compressed/muffled. Other people love it though so it could just be my setup!
MY thoughts exactly. For me it was close to be being really great, but my biggest issue was the brightness on the blue channel (even with tone down. I also agree that the green side was a bit too compressed.

TeleTex82

Silver Supporting Member
This is the order I've finally settled on. Drive between 9 and 10 o'clock on everything except the second gain stage on the RC. The Greer overdrives the blue channel on the Protein in a really special way. Sounds great with the neck pup on my Tele. Speaking of neck pickups, The Greer into the Blue side into the RC with both gains engaged gets straight up Hendrixy. The Green Side pairs really well with the RC, which helps cut some of the bass and add some clarity.
20220630_075446.jpg

soopajeanmi

For me the Protein particularly shines with vintage-like humbuckers. It's incredible with my 335, I don't think it's that great with my Suhr Strat.

Veritas

Gold Supporting Member
The Protein is a real standout with my humbucker equipped guitars. I like it with my singles as well, but it’s just particularly fantastic with my Les Paul.

TeleTex82

Silver Supporting Member
For me the Protein particularly shines with vintage-like humbuckers. It's incredible with my 335, I don't think it's that great with my Suhr Strat.
I love it with my Tele, less so with my LP style guitar. Sounds great with both though.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
hey, you protein folks:
query!

does either side of this pedal NOT roll-off any low end by default, ie, as soon as you turn the thing on?
especially that blue ("carbon") side?

Icculus

Silver Supporting Member

The Protein is a real standout with my humbucker equipped guitars. I like it with my singles as well, but it’s just particularly fantastic with my Les Paul.

Do you both find that to be true with both sides of the Protein? I tend to like the green side for my bridge pickups & blue side for neck pickups. There are applications where I’ll do the opposite, but for the most part that’s how I use it.

soopajeanmi

Do you both find that to be true with both sides of the Protein? I tend to like the green side for my bridge pickups & blue side for neck pickups. There are applications where I’ll do the opposite, but for the most part that’s how I use it.
Most of the time yes, but the green side, with lower gain, is also very interesting with a neck humbucker. And there is also the fantastic tone of both sides together on a bridge humbucker, very « 3D » and lively.

Icculus

Silver Supporting Member
Most of the time yes, but the green side, with lower gain, is also very interesting with a neck humbucker. And there is also the fantastic tone of both sides together on a bridge humbucker, very « 3D » and lively.

I’ll have to try the low gain green side with the neck humbuckers. Both sides on the bridge humbucker is fantastic.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom