NPD: Catalinbread Belle Epoch

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by buzzp, Jul 16, 2014.

1. buzzp

buzzp Member

Just got this pedal in a trade and can't wait to try it out tonight! Where can I read about how the knobs interact? I also remember reading that there are some internal pots that change the gain level and buffer?

2. buzzp

buzzp Member

duh.... (Forgot to check there) Really not sure why I worded it that way, I really meant to ask what gain settings do most people like for the Rec Level and echo sustain?

3. Snufkinoob

Snufkinoob Member

Whatever anyone posts, you might well like yours set up totally differently. When I first got it, I had it side by side with a Deep Blue Delay and wasn't sure which one to sell, but the more I figured out how to get the best out of the Belle, I'm really glad I kept it.

Having said that, using it as a bog-standard delay, it starts to oscillate really quickly with the 'sustain' just past noon. Having the mix and level at about 11 o' clock got a match with the DBD at fairly high settings.

I've never liked modulation on delay pedals until I heard the Belle. It sounds less artificial since it's slightly random and just dialing in a touch works wonders. It can get pretty heavy pretty quickly though, even just at 9 o' clock it puts the sound out of tune too much. Also, when you power up the Belle, you can set the intensity of the modulation depending where you have the mod/sway control. At min/off it's stock, and if you power up when it's in it's max position fully CW it's got a really thick vibrato/rotary speaker style sound to it. You can even do this trick anywhere across the range to set it to your taste, but you have to do this each time you power it up.

4. buzzp

buzzp Member

That's really good to know about the mod knob! Thanks man

5. DuncanNZ

DuncanNZ Member

The main learning for me was the use of the record knob. It's subtle in one sense, but in another it defines the pedal. More/less of each parameter you've selected. By contrast. The mix really only affects the initial repeat and I found it fairly unhelpful. Anything more than a low setting created an obvious/ slightly artificial effect. Overall it's a lovely pedal. It hasn't replaced my previous delay, a mxr carbon copy which I find easier to select a good sound and sits more naturally in the mix. Instead, I use the BE as well for longer washy delay swirls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. skiltrip

skiltrip Member

I use my BE for that East Bay Ray Dead Kennedys surf punk guitar tone, because it uncannily nails it. But outside of that I always use my Flashback for all my other delay needs.

Getting a hang for how all the controls interact definitely takes a little time. I've had mine for quite a few months and I'm still fine tuning my skills at dialing it in.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  7. buzzp

buzzp Member

Last night I got to use my belle epoch for the first time and found myself turning down the mix much lower than I normally have a delay mix knob. It's still too soon to tell, but I think this pedal may be my favorite thickener / slapback sound I've used. I'm still figuring out how to dial in a good longer delay though... the knobs seem to be very interactive.

What settings do you use for the mix/sustain/rec level for a long washy delay duncan?

8. JonathanGes

JonathanGes Member

You're gonna have a lot of fun!

9. buzzp

buzzp Member

Definitely got some awesome space noises out of it during one of the jam sections... that's when I figured out it's hard to dial back in! Really gotta memorize my go-to setting

10. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

I have mine setup around these settings except I raise the mix knob a little bit in a band setting, but not much, maybe to like 10:00.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  11. buzzp

buzzp Member

Sweet, I'll try those settings out tonight!

12. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

I always have my mix over noon - I want to HEAR this thing.

13. thechamp

thechamp Member

I had a Belle Epoch and sold it to fund DMMXO & DD2 combo. DMM and DD2 give me everything I want. I didn't jive well with the Belle.

14. Mr. Limbic

Mr. Limbic Member

funny you mention that with the Belle. I thought I was not hearing things right when I used to use an echorec. I had the mix at like 9 oclock, and anything above that sounded too forward

15. buzzp

buzzp Member

It's certainly a very cool delay, just not sure it's gonna stay or not yet.

16. thechamp

thechamp Member

I was using Belle in the FX loop of a Budda SD18 playing fender and gibsons

17. buzzp

buzzp Member

Ah I don't use loops

18. David Garner

David Garner Supporting Member

I just got one and I love it in the front end of a Marshall or a Fender. I keep the echo/sustain from off to about noon, the mod off, rec maybe halfway up, depending, mix at about 9:00 (mine gets real noisy with a Marshall past that), and the echo delay about 9:00 to noon. Set like that, it gives a fantastic slapback tone with the echo/sustain knob all the way down, and a beautiful ambient delay with the echo/sustain up to 10:00 to noon and the echo delay set also between 10:00 and noon.

19. buzzp

buzzp Member

That's how I'm finding I like mine as well. I might move it on after I give it some more time.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014