NPD: Chandler Limited Germanium Drive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by groovington, Mar 23, 2013.

1. groovington

groovington Member

Okay so this is obviously the "honeymoon" phase, but THIS PEDAL IS AWESOME!!! I picked it up in the emporium after coming across a small thread here that intrigued me. There's not many good demos of this pedal out there, so I was really wondering what I was getting into, but I believe this pedal may be the one that actually convinces me to sell off some of my favorite OD pedals that I've always thought I couldn't live without. Since I'm still in the honeymoon phase and I just played it for an hour (thought it was like 20 minutes) and it's almost 11pm (it was really loud), I'll wait till I play some more tomorrow to give a review. But I will say that the combination of the Germanium Drive into my KTR was glorious! Had the amp set to slight break up and the Germanium Drive just takes it into vintage classic rock tones with my strats. Stacking the KTR behind it (gain at 9:30, tone at noon, vol at unity) only just made more frequencies pop out. So many rich and harmonically pleasing overtones in every note could be coaxed into bliss just by how my fingertips touched the fretboard, not to mention that there was so much dynamic sensitivity happening with my picking hand. I think I may have found my lead tone!

2. Seegs

Seegs Member

I agree...

Wish I would have found one in the Emporium...Gonna keep my eyes peeled for a Little Devil now;)

Just got mine yesterday after a bud lent me his...when my bud brought it over the jury was out...it was bright and thin sounding and there were some unpleasant tones there and I wasn't really sure when we demoed it by itself...was scratching my head:huh

Then I went down and experimented with it some and started to get the hang of the controls...hmmm it was starting to sound pretty good...then I rehearsed it with the band and everything made sense...I can safely say that it is absolutely amazing within a band mix...in fact this is what it was made for...all the ugly tones alone make sense and sit perfectly within the context of a band...in my case a trio...in fact it cleans up so well you could leave it on all the time which it what I found myself doing as rehearsal wore on...

Then I went online and printed out and read the manuel and found out what the feedback settings actually do...now it is dead simple to dial in no matter what guitar I use...

When I first heard the clips I was very skeptical because of the lack of volume and tone controls...guess what...don't need em...this thing is just voiced perfectly both volume wise and tonally...how'd they do that??

It also stacks very well...I also have a Origin Effects Cali 76 compressor in front of my Chandler and that smooths out the peaks and fattens the Chandler's tone...there is some hiss but the tone with both on is to die for...

This has quickly become my goto OD and I can't wait to pair it with a Ghosteffects Tonebender MKI that I have coming...I have no other od's on my board and currently after getting this I have no need for any!!

I am having a hard time resisting the Little Devil colored boost...but the Ge drive has all of my favourite rock tones from the 60's and 70's in it which can be used for so many things so I'm going to spend some more time exploring this box...

So far this is my pedal of the year find for 2013

Chow,
    Seegs

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  3. groovington

groovington Member

Ha... I believe it was a post you had made (with a demo video included) that got me to look into it, and there just happened to be one for sale in the emporium. Thanks! I didn't even realize that you had just gotten yours. I just assumed it was from a while ago.

4. Motherfuzzer

Motherfuzzer Supporting Member

Those look like nice pedals.
    Is this the same Chandler that was teamed up with BK Butler from the Tube Driver days?

5. Seegs

Seegs Member

One is Chandler Industires from the 80's located in San Francisco and according to BK Butler...who originally came up with the design...they copied his design...made some mistakes and then took him to court to try and claim that they in fact came up with the original design and trademark...it was not a welcome team effort but rather some sort of an infringement according to interviews with BKB

Why did you stop making the Tube Driver? (Split from Chandler?) Any reason why you got out of the performing music industry (I.E. making effects)?

Actually the Chandler thing was a relatively minor incident in the overall history of my business activities. There’s not enough room here to elaborate much, but the truth of the matter is that somehow Chandler decided at one point that they had been the designer of the product, came up with the TD trademark and that I was infringing on their IP. They obviously had somebody attempt to copy the electronics and the physical design of my TD, then produced and sold them. I don’t know how many unauthorized units are out there. The mistakes inside are essentially within the EQ area and it would take too long to describe them. Also there is a basic ground loop mistake as well. The overall sound of the C copy is somewhat muted and not as clear on the upper harmonics, etc. Eric Johnson never used one of these copies as far as I know. All his pedals are ones I personally made. I never could understand why Chandler did that copy thing… They even challenged me in court and tried to convince the judge that Chandler was the actual owner of my design and the Tube Driver trademark. But the truth was obvious: In the end what was mine to begin with remains mine still

The other is Chandler Limited producer of rack gear before and now guitar pedals located in Shell Rock, Iowa...

Don't know if there is a connection but Wade of Chandler Limited seems too young to have been involved with Chandler Industries...maybe a relative?

Chow,
    Seegs

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I use mine at the end of my chain fwiw

They also just released a tube amp.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  7. Seegs

Seegs Member

Mine is also last just after my wah and compressor...sounds great there...

The amp sounds great in the demos I've heard but doesn't appear to have any headroom and is a bit gainy for my needs...not sure if it has other settings...

I was also wondering why they chose that amp to demo the Ge drive with...even though it sounds great with that amp I would have preferred a cleaner platform to hear what is pedal and what is amp...

Chow,
    Seegs

8. mild

mild Member

Cool to hear that this pedal is a good one. I've been using their TG-2 pre-amp that they make in my studio for a while now and I've been running everything through it; it's a monster! Totally not surprised to hear that the pedal is awesome - there's a great tone that happens on the pre when I drive it hard, those Chandler guys really know germanium pre's.

9. mild

mild Member

10. jb4674

jb4674 Member

11. Seegs

Seegs Member

Chow,
    Seegs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. sleepingtruck

sleepingtruck Member

Seegs, your pedal doesn't seem to have it - but i've seen images of the Chandler Germanium w/ an additional knob on the top side of the pedal (side w/ the power jacks).

Does anyone know what this does? Bias? Master Vol? I've watched every video and scoured the internet for reviews and there seems to be no mention of it.

Must be a newer addition or a custom option?

13. Seegs

Seegs Member

I believe it's a volume knob and a custom option on both the blue and red pedals...

Chow,
    Seegs