Npd: Chase Bliss Wombtone Mkii - Settings For Vibe/trem/phase

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by OverdriveLover, May 18, 2015.

1. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Supporting Member

Well it arrived and I am working through my own sounds on it. I had a few questions before I purchased it that I think have been answered now so I thought I would share.

1. Can it sound enough like my vibe to replace it?
    • For my needs yes. With the right stage selection, wave form and mix I can get pretty throbby vibe like tones, that have that familiar vibe "grit" so I am pretty happy with this.
    2. Can it sound enough like/replace my tremolo pedal?
    • I like my trem to have a hard cut, or full volume drop between the wave forms. It doesn't exactly get there but with the square wave and high depth and mix you can get really close. You can also get a trem sound by using the "ramp", high volume, and using the bounce, and volume dip switches. It's seems best to use the 2 stage setting if you want a more pure tremolo sound without any phasey sound. I also don't have an expression pedal on my Trem and with the Wombtone MKii was able to quickly dial in a setting with the Momentary setting to make the Trem sound change the rate at a set ramp. This is really awesome.
    3. How close can it get to a traditional Small Stone phaser sound?
    • I have a 1979(?) Small Stone, and I love the sound of it, so I was skeptical about this. I think if you don't use the color switch, you can easily dial in typical phaser and small stone sounds. If you use the color switch like me its a bit harder. By using the 6 stage option, triangle wave form, and the "ramp" feature to modulate between 75%-100% on the mix and depth, I was able to add a little extra sweep kind of sound to get very close. It's a little harder to dial in the exact tempo as the Wombtone has much higher resolution on the rate knob but it can be done.

I just started this so I am taking pictures of settings, and will try and record some samples soon assuming there is any interest. There are videos of extreme sounds, but not a lot focusing on traditional tones, as I'm sure that's not why this pedal was targeting.

In the end, personally I wanted to condense my modulation section on my board. I have a phase, trem, and vibe, and so far have not been happy with any other product that supposedly does two or three of these effects in one and provides an analog signal. I generally combine my trem with vibe, or trem with phase, and with the Wombtone MKii you can get a double LFO effect that I don't think you can do with a H9 for example.

I also am excited about the MIDI setup so I can recall the more traditional trem, vibe, phase sounds, the combination sounds of trem and vibe, and all the extra super weird settings that are really were this pedal probably shines. This with the tap tempo makes this a pretty powerful pedal IMHO.

hippieboy likes this.
  2. happy1shirt

happy1shirt Member

Nice! I would love to try one of these.

3. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

YouR making me want one of these over a möbius now, and I really wanted a möbius as my all in one modulation. (Tremolo being the exception, I feel I have a
    Pretty good dedicated tap trem and as you, like to stack trem with "wetter" sounding modulations).

4. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

How is it at Phase 90 sounds like the 74RI?

5. OverdriveLover

I knew this one was coming haha. I haven't owned one in a long time. I do have a Phase 100. I'll try and A/B it against a video of a Phase 90 and see what I can come up with.

Sometimes the peak of the amplitude on the sine wave sweep turns quickly and sometimes it almost rests there and has a clean sound. The Modushape section effects this greatly. I don't think Joel wanted to replace those, but I can understand the interest of current users to hit that base effect, and expand from there. Hence why I started this thread. I'm still learning how to integrate all the options together.

6. BrandonAy

BrandonAy Member

I primarily use a Whetstone, and I've been wondering if the Wombtone can get that Small Stone feel. It'll definitely save me a lot of space on the board. I'll have to think this over.

7. OverdriveLover

ok so here's a clip dedicated to just phaser sounds. some subtle, some extreme. Mainly using the 4 and 6 stage phasing. I went through a lot of settings but tried to settle on a standard phase sound and only varied the stages 4-6 mainly, and the rate after that. This is probably around 3:45. At the end I add a KOT for dirt on a solo tone.

8. BrandonAy

BrandonAy Member

Appreciate the clips, man.

9. OverdriveLover

ok here is a clip of the Wombtone MKii being applied as a vibe. I am A/B'ing it against my Black Cat Vibe (my personal fav). It's a crappy iPhone recording but apples to apples you can hear how similar the sound is. The Black Cat has the intensity all the way up. I think it sounds just about the same.

10. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

Thanks for the vibe comparison, I've been wondering how close his pedal can get to sounding like one. Any chance you could explain what the subdivisions are on the pedal? From the online manual, they state what they are for MIDI use, but I was wondering if they they are he same. (1 = whole note, 2 = half, 4 = quarter, etc.)

11. OverdriveLover

yeah i understand that 1,2,4 is the rate multiplier for the TAP/MIDI. dip switch option for 3,6,8

however i have been using the dip switch setting for controlling the stages of the phaser (2,4,6). thats how I can get some of the vibe and trem settings. using less stages is more subtle and makes a better vibe or term sound less like the phaser. i can get a warped vinyl sound too...

12. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

Yea I was wondering if you could confirm that say 1 in tap tempo mode is indeed a whole note value, not many tap tempo pedals that do whole and half notes, and in modulation pedals, I'd rather have that than the something like eighth note subdivisions. In other words, i would like to be able to tap in a speed slower than what I'm actually tapping out on the pedal. Inverse of what most pedals do that do have subdivision controls.

13. rafaelrebolleda

rafaelrebolleda Member

This is great, thanks so much for the clips. I just received the Wombtone a couple of days ago but haven't been able to dial in such a convincing vibe tone. Can you please share your settings?

Also, anyone using it in combination with a Fuzz? OD/Dist work great, but I can't seem to get the most out it when using a fuzz (even mildly), either before or after.

14. OverdriveLover

I am pretty sure this was my vibe setting. I can confirm shortly but try this in the meantime....
    [​IMG]

15. rafaelrebolleda

rafaelrebolleda Member

Awesome!

I've been playing for a couple of hours now and that got me started on some great tones. Thanks!

16. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

I just got one of these yesterday and am still finding my bearings with it. Thanks for posting this!

Do you put this before or after od pedals?

17. OverdriveLover

i generally place it after my overdrives. on my current board I have a KOT and TS808 before and a Lovepedal Eternity Burst after...

Abram4235 likes this.
  18. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

Very cool comparison! Love my Black Cat but this raises an eyebrow for sure.

19. OverdriveLover

I know the sound quality is pretty crappy and i am working on a better recording but my take is the wombtone has more frequency bandwidth than the black cat.

If I only needed vibe I'd keep the black cat. But for phase and vibe in one that can be midi triggered with tap tempo their is no compromise sonically.

I do use the Gravitas for trem now and might get the WV for leslie sounds

JerEvil likes this.
  20. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

How hard was it to dial in a good Vibe tone with the Womb? I love a nice liquify vibe and I think the bLack Cat sounds great in that regard. the 12V AC bothers me a bit though.