NPD: Cmatmods Deluxe Signa Compressor. Also, comp at bedroom levels.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nerdbot, Jan 31, 2012.

1. nerdbot

nerdbot Member

I recent bought a Cmatmods Deluxe Signa Comp and love it so far. Little added noise even stacked after my Greer Orange Crush (fuzzy od/dist). It is very tweakable and the attack knob allows me to get that exaggerated attack (pop) or I can turn it down for transparency. The tone knob is a great tool for tone shaping as there are a lot of subtle tonal variations I can achieve by adjusting the tone of the comp and amp in tandem, usually by lowering one and raising the other to compensate.

There are a couple issues however. The comp takes out some of the deep bass, Enough to be noticable even with the tone control at its most neutral setting. Some might like this, because it tightens up the sound and gives more focus. I like it after the Orange Crush because of this, since is has a bit of that fuzzy loose low end. Also the pedal will distort at high sustain and attack settings. I'm using a medium-high humbucker in the bridge (wilde 500l) so single coils will probably be ok. I haven't checked yet if there is some sort of internal trim to adjust threshold but it is not stated on the manual.

Overall, I really like this pedal and it has made my low volume playing much more pleasant. Even with my Kustom v15 running at 4 watts I do not get enough compression to avoid big spikes especially when playing clean. This compressor helps in that regard while also givIng me extra focus and definition that tends to be lacking at low volumes. After using a comp for the first time, I feel this is something a lot of bedroom guitarists can add that will really help their tone and volume control.

Running the comp after my orange crush has allowed me to get all sorts of sounds out of the pedal by simply adjusting my attack and/or volume knob while keeping my playing volume consistent. The added sustain and clarity is also a great bonus.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012