NPD Digitech Whammy DT

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ransacker, Feb 18, 2012.

1. ransacker

ransacker Member

So it is here, my Digitech Whammy DT. I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised after an hour or so of goofing off with it between life occurrences. I have played it in both Whammy and Drop tune modes and it sounds pretty good. Is it completely natural sounding? I would have to say no. Is it pleasing in a synthetic but usable way? Yes, very much so. I don't always get way into the particular mojo of a pedal immediately. Sometimes it take me months or even years in some cases to really get something to work for me. The Eventide Pitchfactor that it is currently taking the place of is one of those pedals that I still haven't managed to really use well and get to make it sing for my own needs. For some reason, the few Pitchfactor moments that actually worked were a result of my two year old messing with the knobs and actually coming up with a few things that I liked. I was never able to consistently reproduce her particular form of magic. The difficulties that I had were probably having to do with the expression pedals that I was trying. None of them ever seemed to really reach the intended values consistently. It was kind of frustrating. For now, I am holding it off of the board until I figure out a really good use for it.

The Whammy Drop tune seems consistent and stable. And it has fewer features to worry about. Some of my previous difficulty has to do with my sense of option anxiety with the Pitchfactor. Perhaps something simpler, with fewer options suits me better. I've been having a lot of fun.

Anyone else with a newly minted Whammy DT and some opinions/thoughts/observations? I am curious. Anyone have both the Pitchfactor and the Whammy DT?

2. hanales

hanales Member

How's the polyphony and tracking?

3. ransacker

ransacker Member

Both of them are good. I would say solid. Are they perfect? No. Do they give you a good simulation? I would have to say yes. That is just after an hour or so of oft interrupted noodling. Some of it may well be making different technical allowances with my picking and fretting etc.. To compare, it was always a crap shoot every time I used my Eventide Pitch Factor. This seems more even to my ears. Your experiences may vary. It sounds like a reasonable facsimile of a twelve string for example. Will it ever have those interesting intermodulations that say my Rickenbacker Twelve String will? No. So in that way, it is a tad sterile. But it provides interesting harmonic possibilities all it's own. I am enjoying it. This may change with time, being that tone is often subjective and situational.

So I would say both aspects get a well earned solid rating.