NPD: Dual 12AX7 tube based ODS inspired pedal called the Tubesteader Beekeeper

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
Not sure why nobody seems to have one because this pedal is awesome!
https://tubesteader.com

I've got a number of D inspired pedals, and this one is a monster. With 2 channels you can really bring in a great smooth singing tone by cranking the clean volume. Add in the OD side and there are a lot of flavors here. This is especially true as you work the Master Volume in relation to the OD or Clean volumes. And with the EQing and the dual boosting capabilities. Honestly, if someone is looking for a great hand built, D style pedal, I would check this one out for sure!

I'll just leave this video here so folks can decide if they like the tone or not.

zigwigwig

Silver Supporting Member
I saw this

Have you tried it as a preamp? Meaning into a poweramp (effects return or solid state Poweramp)

dshobe

Rocky Mountain Way
Gold Supporting Member
Mine arrived last week (a week ahead of schedule). Unfortunately, I was out of town. Just got to mess with it a bit today. It's awesome! Maybe a bit more versatile than the Jester V2. Really like how the master volume is implemented.

dshobe

Rocky Mountain Way
Gold Supporting Member
I don't know how it's so under the radar, but I guess Kingsley was for quite a while too.

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe a bit more versatile than the Jester V2. Really like how the master volume is implemented.
can you say more about this comparison? The Jester V2 has been my favorite Kingsley so far but I don’t love the coloration from the hardwire bypass or the way it interacts with fuzz pedals ahead of it but the actual overdrive sounds it produces are lovely (to my ear with BF fenders).

How would you compare the boost and overdriven sounds from this pedal to the Jester? Is there another Kingsley that sounds more similar that you know of?

(as an aside I do think companies making these tube pedals would do well to put the tubes inside the enclosure like Kingsley does).

Jazzandmore

can you say more about this comparison? The Jester V2 has been my favorite Kingsley so far but I don’t love the coloration from the hardwire bypass or the way it interacts with fuzz pedals ahead of it but the actual overdrive sounds it produces are lovely (to my ear with BF fenders).

How would you compare the boost and overdriven sounds from this pedal to the Jester? Is there another Kingsley that sounds more similar that you know of?

(as an aside I do think companies making these tube pedals would do well to put the tubes inside the enclosure like Kingsley does).
I also have a Kingsley Jester V2, have had it for years. Bear in mind that the Jester is based on the circuit in two of Simon's amps. So it gives those flavors. The Bee Keeper is designed after the ODS. So in trying to compare the pedals we have to keep in mind they are trying to do different things. The Kingsely Squire D is aimed at the Dumble ODS sound.

As to the pedals both have 12AX7, run at high voltage, can do Clean, Boost, Overdrive and Boosted Overdrive, and have the 3 band EQ.

Sounds wise I'm not putting them in the same camp. Both are great at doing what they do, but I don't think they sound the same. But like I said, the Kingsley Squire D would be a better comparison, but I'm pretty sure you pair it with the Kingsley Page DS, to really do the whole Dumble thing.

I haven't put any other drive or fuzz before the Bee Keeper so far, that will be fun for later this week. :)

@dshobe mentioned the implementation of the Master Volume, and that is something I noticed fairly quickly when I got it as well. Turning the Master down, but Clean or OD volume up gives a leaner tone. But if you bring the Master up, things fatten up really nice. I really like that interaction of the Master with the tone and was not expecting that. Additionally, even just on the Clean channel, you can get into the creamy OD area and add in the Mid Boost and this bad boy is singing. Kick in the Boost and fat goodness abounds!

The OD channel is it's own thing and when you are in the channel you still have the mix of the Clean channel via the separate volume knob...and oh by the way you can still control the lean/full ratio by where you put the Master. And we haven't even mentioned the 3 band EQ yet.

I will say this, I loves me some D style pedals and have the Dumbloid, original Zen and Zen2, and Tonehunter Blueline. I have put these bad boys head to head before and the Dumbloid is just a beast compared to the others. But I honestly think this Bee Keeper will go head to head with the Dumbloid easily. I'll find out tomorrow. ;) I'm not saying they will sound the same, but in terms of the D style pedals I have (and I also had a Van Weelden...another absolute monster of a pedal, but wasn't my sound) so far there is no doubt in my mind the Bee Keeper is top notch in design, tone and flexibility.

SURFA

They say they replicate Dumble preamp - Does that mean that Dumble used channel mixer too?

Last edited:

Jazzandmore

Put it head to head with Dumbloid for a while, and 3 different guitars to cover the pickup gamut. The Dumbloid looked over at the Bee Keeper, then rolled its eyes at me and said “You brought a rookie?” (Turns out that Tubesteader was just launched a few months ago)

All I can say is Rookie has SERIOUS game! One thing for sure is the Dumbloid Psychedelic is darker than the BK. Not muddy, just a bit darker tone. That’s not good or bad. I’ve never played the Dumbloid ODS so not sure how they differ in sound.

I’m pleading the 5th, and will just say, listen to clips and figure out which you like more Dumbloid or Bee Keeper. The BK is more tweakable and with the Master Volume set up, you get some real nice things. The BK is seriously great sounding if you want that D style thing (not that any of us has played a Dumble ODS). And the Clean channel can produce creamy OD while using the Master to keep overall volume reasonable.

Last edited:

guitarnet70

I was on the edge between Beekeper and Blackbird, ended up ordering the Blackbird (on Stock). Is going to be here tomorrow...

guitarnet70

Hi, How are you getting on with your Blackbird? I’m intrigued to know how well it does the Dumble thang!?
Sorry man, For some reasone didn't saw your question back then.
The Blackbird's blue channel is very much in Santana territory, but somehow half-way between a Mark I and an ODS (awesome though), the absolutely best results I've achieved with the Gladio in to the green channel: that takes you instantly in Robben Ford territory.
Please keep in mind that I use the Blackbird as a Preamp in to the Poweramp section of my amp

Trending Topics