NPD: EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress XO (issue?)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bunnygang, Feb 3, 2015.

1. bunnygang

bunnygang Member

Maybe you guys can help me out. I've never had an EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress, so maybe this is common.

Anyway, I bought a "like new" DEM off eBay. The brand new green/white XO version. Arrived yesterday. Was acting kind of weird right away. When engaged, it sounds completely muffled and like it's under a blanket. When I engage a boost pedal before it, it'll get louder (sure) -- but all of a sudden, treble frequencies that were missing jump out -- midway through the phrase! When the booster is turned off, it retains some of that brightness until I turn it off. When I turn it on again, it's back to the same muffled tone.

Is this normal? Are the treble frequencies supposed to jump out randomly like that midway through a phrase? Should it be that muffled to begin with?

I've contacted the seller explaining that I think it may be defective and sent him that sound clip. He says it sounds absolutely normal and how it should be. Is he right? :dunno

EDIT: My apologies for being out of tune! It was hastily put together.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/old-tiger/defective-deluxe-electric-mistress[/soundcloud]

2. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

That does not sound normal.
    If it is, that's a terrible sounding pedal. Try putting the boost after the DEM.

3. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

That doesn't sound correct. There are tones of Electric Mistress demos on YouTube and such showing what it should sound like.

Return it. The completely difference between the sound of the pedal you received and the demos even of the XO version available elsewhere supports that the one you received isn't doing what the vast group of others do.

4. Van Leeuwen

Van Leeuwen Member

If you still have it: is much to ask some gut shots?

5. 7thString

7thString Member

Seller should refund you with a Cluster Flux. Its only fair