NPD: EQD Spires

morgan918

It actually arrived several days ago, just haven't had a ton of time with it. So far I really dig it and it's a great combo for fuzz lovers. The red channel sounds almost exactly like my Maestro Fuzz MFZ-1 from the 70s, the big wedge shaped one, which in itself might be based on fuzz face. Literally I can make them sound identical, although the EQD has more gain on tap, but tonally almost identical.

The green channel I think is supposed to be a Fuzzrite type clone and totally hits the mark. With the tone to the left you get a zippery, almost gated type darker sound and to the right it opens up and cuts more, but with perhaps less gate and sustain, kind of spitty. Also sounds very close to my Mid-Fi Psych Byke, which is a Fuzzrite clone. Sounds good riffing, chords and leads, although I think I like the darker side of the tone control better.

It's great to have both these sounds in one box, the silent switches are great and it looks cool. I'm liking it more with humbuckers than single coils, but sounds good with both. Lots of volume on tap, with unity around 9:00 for me. Sounds a little better if you can open it up a bit. So far I'm very happy with it.

kor

I've been tempted to pick this up but I have around 30 fuzz pedals so it would probably be pretty redundant. With that being said, I know I'll get it at some point because I'm addicted to fuzz and EQD kills it every time they put a pedal out.

morgan918

I've been tempted to pick this up but I have around 30 fuzz pedals so it would probably be pretty redundant. With that being said, I know I'll get it at some point because I'm addicted to fuzz and EQD kills it every time they put a pedal out.
Yeah, it's definitely not breaking any new ground or going super extreme, but it would make a great pedal if you needed both sounds for shows or if those two sounds are totally your bag. It kills two birds with one stone and no compromises. I'd rather use this on my board than my Maestro and Mid-Fi, just out of sheer practicalness. It's a really fun pedal and you'd be hard pressed to find what it clones individually for $199.

I hear ya about being addicted to fuzz - next up for me are Analogman's Astro tone and some kind of Sun Face, and then some kind of super fuzz.

Reactions: kor

morgan918

Those maestro pedals are obnoxiously awesome.

I have a dream crusher, and you're right, it definitely doesn't sound like a conventional fuzz face.

Cool pedal
Yeah, they're insane pedals. I actually just got the Maestro Stage Phaser today - also very awesome and friggin' huge. Like twice the width of the fuzz.

morgan918

Just a little update. I'm really liking this pedal more and more. I just put some Creamery pickups in my MIJ jag and spent some time with it and the Spires today. Sounded freakin awesome on both channels but what was new to me was running the red channel at pretty low fuzz and on the neck pickup. Really nice just beefed up tones, jazzy with some bite. Sounded fantastic.

Just a little update. I'm really liking this pedal more and more. I just put some Creamery pickups in my MIJ jag and spent some time with it and the Spires today. Sounded freakin awesome on both channels but what was new to me was running the red channel at pretty low fuzz and on the neck pickup. Really nice just beefed up tones, jazzy with some bite. Sounded fantastic.
I already have a Dream Crusher V2. Is it worth it to get a spires to get the green side? I've already explored getting a Rosac Nu Fuzz clone built so I don't have to buy the whole spires.

The green channel I think is supposed to be a Fuzzrite type clone and totally hits the mark. With the tone to the left you get a zippery, almost gated type darker sound and to the right it opens up and cuts more, but with perhaps less gate and sustain, kind of spitty. Also sounds very close to my Mid-Fi Psych Byke, which is a Fuzzrite clone. Sounds good riffing, chords and leads, although I think I like the darker side of the tone control better.

It's great to have both these sounds in one box, the silent switches are great and it looks cool. I'm liking it more with humbuckers than single coils, but sounds good with both. Lots of volume on tap, with unity around 9:00 for me. Sounds a little better if you can open it up a bit. So far I'm very happy with it.
This I have to try out! Love the Psych Byke and I use humbuckers.

morgan918

This I have to try out! Love the Psych Byke and I use humbuckers.
I think you'd like it. I think there's a little more range on the fuzz knob on the Spires over the Psych Byke, but they're very close. And you'd get the red channel all in one box.

morgan918

I already have a Dream Crusher V2. Is it worth it to get a spires to get the green side? I've already explored getting a Rosac Nu Fuzz clone built so I don't have to buy the whole spires.
That's a tough call. I'd say only if you want both in one box, although it may be cheaper in the end to get the Spires if you sold the Dream Crusher.

Trending Topics