NPD - Foxrox Zim!

TimeSnow

Always wanted one of Dave's pedals and a used Zim came up cheap and I jumped.

It has the BM (Big Muff) in A and the VT in B.

Anyone still rocking one of these? Any tips? Any cards I should try?

Any other thoughts on the Zim?

fahqicehole

I picked one up about a year ago and love it. I have the BM, Hot 9 and CS. I'm not too experienced with all of the Big Muff variants and definitely not on a quest to replicate any legendary muff tones. Having said that, the BM card sounds righteous! I use it in the B side and voice knob really helps dial it in just the way I like it. Paired with the Octron - it's killer!

I'm not a big fan of TS type drives. As much as I've tried to like them, I always move on to other drives (and usually rely on amp drive anyway). So I usually just roll with the CS card and use it for some grit on top of my base tone.

I want to check out the RAT (TAR+) card, but I'm afraid I'll want another ZIM in order to utilize the voice control with it!

It's such a cool concept - interchangeable circuits. I'm surprised the idea hasn't caught on with other builders.

Be sure to report back with your thoughts once you've had some time with it.

TimeSnow

I picked one up about a year ago and love it. I have the BM, Hot 9 and CS. I'm not too experienced with all of the Big Muff variants and definitely not on a quest to replicate any legendary muff tones. Having said that, the BM card sounds righteous! I use it in the B side and voice knob really helps dial it in just the way I like it. Paired with the Octron - it's killer!

I'm not a big fan of TS type drives. As much as I've tried to like them, I always move on to other drives (and usually rely on amp drive anyway). So I usually just roll with the CS card and use it for some grit on top of my base tone.

I want to check out the RAT (TAR+) card, but I'm afraid I'll want another ZIM in order to utilize the voice control with it!

It's such a cool concept - interchangeable circuits. I'm surprised the idea hasn't caught on with other builders.

Be sure to report back with your thoughts once you've had some time with it.
Thanks for that!

I will definitely report back!

Dave has SUCH a good reputation that I had no problem dropping him a line with a few questions (even though this is an 11 year old pedal!) and of course he got back to me almost immediately with answers and also advised me to swap the muff to B. Which I have.. so simple - what a cool idea!

Have you (or has anyone else here) messed with the trimmers on the cards?

fahqicehole

Yes - the trimmers definitely help fine tune the circuit for your tastes. When using a card in slot A, you don't really have tone controls, so the internal trimmer acts as one. It is obviously not as convenient as having it externally, but you can find a comfortable place and roll with it / adjust when necessary.

TimeSnow

Yes - the trimmers definitely help fine tune the circuit for your tastes. When using a card in slot A, you don't really have tone controls, so the internal trimmer acts as one. It is obviously not as convenient as having it externally, but you can find a comfortable place and roll with it / adjust when necessary.
Excellent. Thanks for that!

TimeSnow

Just spent my first day with it and man... The VT is very much like a Tim and the Muff is awesome! Very very surprised this thing isn't on more boards.

I can def see the fuzz as a bit like a Swiss Army Knife for recording.

The tone trimmers are very useful, as is the ability to reverse the order via cabling.

In the end I kept it A->B but I can easily see myself buying more cards and running B->A in some circumstances.

The only thing I'd change is adding all the voice stuff on both channels. Seems very odd to only have it on one.

Anyway - loving it - pretty sure it'll be around for a good long while.

Trending Topics