NPD: Free the Tone Tri Avatar Chorus

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dpgreek, Apr 15, 2016.

1. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Let me preface by saying that I'm a certified chorus junkie. I've tried so many over the years and only a few have really caught my attention. I have been building a cover band board over the years and have landed on a lot of pedals that I finally love and won't get rid of because they do the job in a versatile manner. The board also leans a lot towards Lifeson tones, because RUSH is my fave. Alex uses lots of chorus, but in different ways.... doubling, light, thick / lush, digital, etc... so I'm trying to cop some of the tones.

So up until recently I had a Cosmichorus on the board. I love that chorus and think it's probably one of the best around. My problem is that I needed more than one chorus, or one with presets. I have tried dual choruses, but they didn't have the control I needed or sound I was looking for. So on a chance, I checked out the FTT Tri-Avatar on youtube and then ordered.

It's honeymoon time for sure, but I'm truly floored by it as a chorus guy. The sounds from this thing are beautiful. From slow flangy tones, to light chorus, to 80s, to detune, to leslie sounds....does it all. I love that it has a volume control AND blend control. Most choruses don't have a true level knob. They'll just label as such...but it controls wet/dry mix. So if it's not quite unity and you're OCD like me.... the boost / cut will be a dealbreaker. Tri avatar solves that problem. The hi cut knob is great too, so you can back off the treble a touch when you engage the dirt.

This thing handles dirt incredibly well. It doesn't overtake your sound. It melds together with it well. The sweep of the rate is great too....it has a WIDE range. So you can do metally flangy, to warm lush to a great leslie. The magic really is in the three 120 degree out of phase delay lines to help shape the tri chorus depth. You can hear them at work by maneuvering them around. It's a really cool concept.

To my ear, I've had analog and digital choruses. It's getting harder and harder to discern any differences with the gear nowadays...and this is no exception. It's an analog dry path, but technically a digital pedal. However, it doesn't leave you feeling that it's "sterile" like some pedals might. I had a Mobius once and didn't dislike the choruses...but to me they all ended up sounding similar in quality. Tri Avatar is diff. The hi cut knob really helps tailor the sound so you can get that warm thicker sound if you want.

The big win is the presets. It holds up to 4 presets that are foot switchable will cover all my chorus needs. It's controlled by midi too, but I'm not there yet with a true controller. It's built incredibly well and is relatively small (about the size of a KOT pedal). The jacks are on top and another plus is that it's 9V and consumes less than 150mA.

Huge score. Love this pedal. If you're a chorus maniac like me and need a great solution...here you go. I got a great deal on it, so it was hard to pass up. Otherwise the price tag may scare some...but my motto is you get what you pay for. This thing is worth it to me. I hope others have a great experience too.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  2. Mariocaster

Mariocaster Member

Can it sound like a detune? I'm thinking to buy a Keeley 30ms for detune to use with gain and use my anadime chorus to use it clean, but id the tri-avatar can do detune it will save me 1 tap on my power supply

3. dpgreek

I think you can definitely get a detune in there. You would have to keep the wet/dry mix knob more on the dry side and keep depth low on the knobs. Ill record a few examples and post up in a bit.

4. dpgreek

Here are some examples. Played on a PRS SE Custom 24 with Fralin Unbucker pickups (middle position / split coil). Rig is guitar > Keeley GC-2 Comp > Mooer Skyverb > Shift Line Twin Mk2 Tube preamp > Torpedo CAB (Silver Jubilee V30 cab) > Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 > Logic.

Using a derivative of the opening riff of "Raise My Rent" from David Gilmour, I repeated that several times with different settings.

First is the dry signal.... the next 4 are the stock presets that come on the avatar. the 5th time is an attempt at slow airy, 6th warbly pitch vibrato, 7th flangery, 8th slight detune (not off by too many cents)

Mariocaster, rck and Beto like this.
  5. R.C.Moran

R.C.Moran Silver Supporting Member

Ironically I also received one of these last week and would largely agree with everything the OP says. For detune, to me it doesn't do the same thing though. I purchased it to pair with a detune effect and try to capture soMe of the tri-chorus into detune (SPX90) magic of old rack units. Between pairing the Tri avatar with a 30ms and a Neunaber Chroma, the Chroma won giving me the sound I was going after. On that tangent, I highly recommend the Tri avatar as a chorus, it's phenomenal, but if you want to go a step further, run it into a stereo detune like the Chroma or pitch factor and you'll really be amazed!!!

Mariocaster, DoctorBray and dpgreek like this.
  6. Mariocaster

Mariocaster Member

Nice to know that! Actually I was thinking to get the Keeley 30ms or the Chroma to use it as detune, I think it would be the Chroma. I can't justify to buy a Eventide box just for that effect. If the H9 could do chorus+detune, that would be another story.

R.C.Moran likes this.
  7. dpgreek

RC, how are you running your Tri Avatar? I'm loving the factory presets, truth be told. Dialed in well. The 4th one I tweaked a bit. I'm finding that it's almost so transparent when using my distorted tone, I have to roll back the hi cut knob sometimes, depending on the style of distortion or fuzz. It's not that it's bright, it's just that most choruses seem to take your high end down a touch.

R.C.Moran likes this.
  8. R.C.Moran

I thought about the H9 as well, but I previously had one and just couldn't get into using my phone for switching a lot of the sounds, and didn't like the on board interface for it. The chroma is working very well for my detune, and I'm thinking I'll get the expression device to give me a few other effects. It also stands beautifully on its own for some thickening on lower width.

I've been using mine around 60-70% wet mic, all the intensity knobs between 2 and 4 o'clock but in different places, rate around 1, and high cut completely off. I do also like the factory settings to have fun with, but those settings into the Chroma + delay and reverb do exactly what I want (Mike Landau etc etc). I agree most choruses do take away some high end, but the tri avatar doesn't seem to have any effect on mine with the high cut off. It does not, however, add any top end sheen that I've had some modulations add. I haven't had to roll it back for distortion either, but i have a very mid focused amp setting on my Lonestar and the Tri avatar compliments it wel. FWIW I also found the Mr Black Double chorus did as well, but I never liked the pre delay, so that was my big reason for buying the Tri avatar. If I rolled up the treble I'd probably roll back the high cut a bit on the pedal. At any rate it's a great feature to have!

dpgreek and Mariocaster like this.
  9. R.C.Moran

Also, while my setup is mono, one of my goals with the Tri avatar and chroma combo is for stereo sound. When I'm able I'd like to try them direct stereo via the BigSky and see how it sounds. I'll probably keep the Tri avatar mono out to the chroma and stereo from there for the separation. Really looking forward to hearing it.

Mariocaster likes this.
  10. Malcolmallan

Malcolmallan Member

Anyone else liking this pedal? I’m using the Rtx threeway... warm analog sounding, I like keeping the mix at about half, intensity almost full and speed at about a quarter. I use the keeley 30ms as a detune beforehand. Gets very close to the spx90/dytronics tone.

11. PFDarkside

PFDarkside Member

All the tri-chorus lushness aside, how does it sound with only the middle depth on and tone rolled back? Can you get close to a CE-2 type sound?

12. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

This is one of my favorite chorus pedals I've owned. If I didn't have an unhealthy obsession with the dc2 it's probably what I'd be using. Super versatile and the midi controllable presets are so handy.

13. Cosmiceddie

Cosmiceddie Member

I, too, am a chorus freak, so I'd like to know whether the TA-1H can do anything the Boss MD-500 can't.

14. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

i just picked up one of these. Anyplace for some sample settings like say Landau or Holdsworth? I emailed the company and their response was rude and condescending. Obviously they are not businessmen!