Npd Fulltone Ocd Ge

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fallingman16, Jul 23, 2019.

1. fallingman16

fallingman16 Supporting Member

Hey y’all, just wanted to post some initial thoughts on the new OCD Ge.

I got #217. The finish is really beautiful!

I wanted to see how it compares to my v1 OCD which has been on my board since it came out and I probably will be buried with it because its part of me at this point.

The pedals obviously have their differences, but I’m feeling kinda meh right now about the Ge. The v1 is just so aggressive, loud and present. And thats just in the LP setting I rarely go into the HP mode.

The ge definitely has a rounder and softer attack/decay to the notes and it can get extremely loud and brutal too but it’s a more tame flavor.

Both of them simultaneously sounds rad too but I’m not trying to make that a recurring thing.

Great pedal and I recommend it to anyone that is looking for a neat and tidy OCD wearing a suit and tie.

2. earwax

earwax Supporting Member

Well that’s not going to help the price I’d used V1’s

3. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

o_O

You think it’s meh but you recommend it. Is this a Tone Report write up??

4. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

The Version 1.1 is all that, would still like to try the Ge sometime though.

5. fallingman16

I was joking around. Lol. Try it man!

6. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

“meh” is the new “great”.

7. fallingman16

8. Strumlord

Strumlord Member

A lot of people say he should have stopped at V1.1

9. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

Pedal’s name checks out.

10. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

Thank you for this. I am a huge fan of the V1.1 (have two of em) and I was specifically curious how this compared. Wonder if this has the impedance/buffer issue addressed. Honestly, if I could have a V1.1 with corrected impedance (and same tone) I would probably pay $500 and buy two, haha.

AceBSpankin likes this.
  11. Knaggster57

Knaggster57 Member

I got #210 two days ago and had a good hour with it last night. The HP mode is the ticket for me so far. It has plenty of gain and retains clarity. You can get lots of great tones working with the tone controls of your guitar. I really didn’t try the volume control clean up or delve into the LP mode because of limited time. I did play enough to feel that Fulltone absolutely hit it out of the park with this one and I’m still smiling at the experience I enjoyed with it last night. I have no idea how it sounds with humbuckers, but it sure did shine with single coils!

Kevy_Metal likes this.
  12. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

Sweetwater has them available finally, I've been checking daily, got mine ordered!

Grant Ferstat likes this.
  13. MAD 69

MAD 69 Member

I have only messed with mine(serial #76) for about an hour but I like it a lot, has a very gritty drive to it, almost like a fuzz distortion (this is my 1st pedal of any kind of the Germanium variety)

It has some sweet sustain, this will be on my pedalboard next to my V1.7 OCD. This pedal seems to have everything the original has plus a little something extra, I'm happy with it even after a short run thru, doesn't need much tweaking, unlike almost every other pedal I have bought recently.

14. rwijaya

rwijaya Member

I just got mine in the mail today, can't wait to compared it to the v2 ocd

Grant Ferstat likes this.
  15. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...

So in summary. For folks who found the regular OCDs a bit too aggressive or like more vintagey low gain tones this new one could be the ticket?

16. rwijaya

rwijaya Member

i got mine yesterday and the way mike fuller described how the pedal sound, is exactly what the pedal does. its a very open sounding OCD (i never owned the version 1.1-1.3 so i won't be able to compare it). it is not as bassy compared to the v2. has a lot more mid-range as well. note separation is excellent.

i think it also less gain than the v2, i am not sure if it's because of the germanium diode or what, but the gain feels softer. on high gain, high note feels very "chewy" if that even makes any sense. *(I figured out why it feels "chewy" on higher gain, apparently it has the same amount of gain on tap just like the V2, however, the higher the gain you have, the rounder the treble peak transient it created, while on the V2 the more gain you introduce the sharper the high peak transient in your notes, giving the illusion that the v-2 Ge gain feels less or softer)

On the lower gain setting, the note stays really tight with a little rounder high end. the bass is not boomy and stays very tight from low gain all the way to the maximum amount of gain.

i tried in both 9 Volt and 18 volts, and for some odd reason, the pedal sounds so much better to me in 9 volts. in 18 volts you can hear it considerably increase in volume and the note separation is different, the gain hugs the note more compared to the 9-volt operation. hard to explain, you have to hear it. overall, its a really good sounding OD pedal. this will cut through the mix, really easy. feels very tube amp-like (i hate using that terminology, but i have no other way to describe it).

the pedal also cleans up really well with the guitar volume knob interaction.

*updated for more clarity

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  17. rwijaya

rwijaya Member

yeap! its seriously a really open sounding OCD ive ever played through. this thing is loud, have tons of volume and not as aggressive as the typical OCD. just sweet drive and gain with great note separation. this will cut through the mix in a band situation.

18. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

It’s my first OCD so I can’t compare but for reference I’m super happy with it and my tastes lean towards stuff like Allmans, black Crowes, Jeff Beck, ZZ Top, etc. That’s about as much “aggression” as I roll with.

It fits that range very well. It can get crazy (for me) if the tone and gain are cranked but there are a ton of low/mid-gain options.

BluesBUSTER likes this.
  19. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

20. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member Gold Supporting Member