NPD .Fulltone Plimsoul, GT 500 , and Soul Bender.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MRscratch, Jan 21, 2012.

1. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

So, i just bought these three pedals. i already have a OCD 1.4
    I really enjoy fullers pedals and think the are great sounding and i always like the way they look and feel in my hand. Underfoot, the feel nice and secure as well.
    Question is this. HOW THE HELL does fulltone get that sound with the soul bender II on his demo page???? all i get is Zipper noises and unusable gain.
    he gets this incredible sabbath volume 4 type sound on the demo. I ran this through my 69 Plexi 100w and cab and i cannot get close to this sound. any advice ? i use a 51 nocaster and a couple 57 RI lespauls.

2. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

Nice score! Those are some of the only Fulltone dirt pedals I haven't owned. I'd love to get a Soul Bender.

I haven't heard the demo you're referring to, but I did read on the site that Mike Fuller uses very thick strings, and plays with his fingers and thumb, "much like a bassist", as I believe he said. I remember his Catalyst demos sounded very different than when I had that pedal, but he not only has different technique, but different (and very nice!) gear.

I would try using different gain levels on the pedal, and on your amp. Perhaps more amp gain and less fuzz if you want a smoother sound. Maybe try using your guitar's volume and tone controls a bit too.

3. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

Thanks! The only difference is i think i have yet to play the soul bender through my marshall at a high volume. I live in a condo! i bring the amp out to practice but i havent had the chance to really let it rip as i play in a ska/reggae band.
    Mike's demos sound really good for this pedal! I use 11's and play both travis picking style and flat pick. ill just work on this.

4. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

5. strombie

strombie Member

Love my Plimsoul - It's like my OCD but with a better lead tone. Haven't tried the GT-500 but not sure I would need one with all the overdrive pedals I already have. I have yet to even see/hear the Soulbender in person. The video clips did sound zippery to me, as you seemed to also experience. You describe the gain as unusable - how so? too thin/brittle?

6. JacksonCarter

JacksonCarter Member

sounds like impedance or a buffering issue...

7. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

i think that there is just not enough in between cleanish to full on dirt.have you seen the fulltone site clip for this pedal? amazing.
    It could very well be that the amp needs to be cranked up already to break up and this probably isn't the pedal to get a low volume dirt sound with. I will definitely try this on my 69 plexi cranked and report back