NPD: Ghost Echo by EarthQuaker Devices (Reverb) w/ Review

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by slesnick3, Mar 10, 2015.

1. DecoWaves

DecoWaves Member

[Edited/Updated | This post has been updated to reflect several months of use, as well as a recent A/B comparison with the EQD Levitation w/ review: NPD: EQD Levitation]

Famous last words - this pedal represents the last piece of the puzzle (setup). Seriously ... I am sure that I will continue to play around, swapping new pedals in and out BUT since I have no more space on the board itself and I have all the bases cover, I am very content with the current configuration.

I find Reverb to be an effect where achieving the desired settings is a very nuanced process so, unlike a distortion pedal, it's not as if I plugged in the guitar and started to go crazy, amp-to-eleven, rock'n'roll all night long. The process of playing around with the settings and listening to the resulting effect tones was much more methodical.

The EQD Ghost Echo, with a "Spring Reverb" inspiration, has great versatility built upon that foundation. One can get surf-like spring, country tone slapbacks, ending up all the way to very water-filled-cave depths. Sometimes I swear I can hear the echo of water dripping within the effect.

The different controls, while limited (maybe better thought of as "focused") let the user dial-in the perfect blend and nature of reverb. I originally had used the term TONE when I first posted this review but there is actually no Tone control on this pedal. That being said, the voice of the pedal successfully passes through the full-body nature of the dry signal giving the effect a very warm and organic feel (think: mids are well represented in the mix but no part of the EQ spectrum is over saturated or emphasized.) The Depth and Dwell knobs feel like they work in tandem to fine-tune the resulting nature and length of the effect; defining the environment. This level of control just adds to the versatility in the sense that the effect can be used in more situations when otherwise, without the control, it could have been either too little or overpowering.

As a tinkerer, I find myself always fighting the urge to fuss around with the settings of any pedal instead of just leaving things "as is". That said, the reverb pedal often works best either being on/off, depending on the need, with just slight adjustments to the settings - an attribute that the Ghost Echo excels at. What has been shared by many users, a perspective I can identify with, is that once I found the right/subtle amount of reverb, I just leave the pedal on and untouched for most of the time. On occasion, when needed, I dive into the deep-end of the pool and explore the infinity caverns hidden within the Ghost Echo.

The Attack Knob provides the ability (while limited) to pull the dry guitar tone out and in front of the reverb effect. This is great for more percussive playing (think: reggae/rock/ska - Marley, Police, etc.) The more intense the effect, the dry tone will almost get completely washed over - left just at the cusp of gasping for air.

Hidden qualities: While I tend to keep the pedal very tame, there are occasions where I greatly increase the intensity of the depth & dwell settings at which point I am able to achieve a very crystal-like resonance/feedback in the trails of the effect -- much like wet fingers being rubbed across the top of a crystal glasses filled with water.

White Noise: As others have mentioned, there have been occasions( depending) when I have heard a bit of background "white-noise" when the effect reaches it more saturated settings AND with the absence of any playing. Once I start to play, the music masks any of the noise. I don't want people to read too much into this as I don't think it detracts from the pedal ... it is the same sort of noise that one would hear when powering on the amp before playing the first note - you know it is on and alive but given a few moments, it just sort of blends into the environment. One might even argue, with validity, that an expansive/cavernous environment will have a similar sort of ever-present reverberated sound of "space". Just to reiterate, I only hear this on occasion when the effect is at the high-end of its settings.

Finally, as requested, I have included pictures of the Glow-in-the-Dark paint job. Just note: it took a UV Black-light to pull this off. More modern LED or Florescent Bulbs seem to be more challenged in "charging" up the glow effect. Being that is was the same price, I thought the limited-edition was cool and since I have a black pedal board, it stands out more than if the pedal itself was black.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  2. DeadCell

DeadCell Member

You've gotta post a pic/vid of the glow haha

3. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

I just got the Ghost echo a week or two ago. Big surprise pedal for me. Bought it on a whim - now I'm using it a lot. Sounds amazing for subtle reverb tones, which in my opinion, are the only type of reverb tones that work (unless you're doing ambient).

Combined with delay, I can get it to do super long decay times. I love how it absorbs delay repeats.

My favourite setting right now is Depth and Dwell at 11:00, Attack around 8:00. Subtle, but oh so good.

4. Yarnhawk

Yarnhawk Member

That's pretty rad. Been eyeing these up for a little while now.

Riffa likes this.
  5. Billy Idle

Billy Idle Member

I love the GE but I consider it more as a slapback pedal than a reverb. Hard to dial out the repeat.

6. ummohyeah

ummohyeah Member

Love this pedal. I tried out five different reverb pedals for settling for this. Hasn't left my board since. I love the trail on the delay, sounds like your signal is just slowly fading from sight away down a long hallway. :)

7. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

I really dig mine. I was always of the mindset of delay setting the ambiance in my rig.

2 things happened that changed my mind. Witnessing My Morning Jacket live. The way they the reverb trails would just go on and on after every song was really great. I came home and did some research and found out that Jim James had a GE on his board. I started checking out demos and PGS was my first stop. Well, when Andy broke into Electioneering by Radiohead and that was basically it.

I did my due diligence, but kept coming back to various GE demos. I think I made the right choice, for my taste. Simple controls, with just the perfect range for my taste in reverb. And it does it without masking the guitar. I've also never had an issue with it going into a dirtier amp, but I'm particularly fond of the way fuzz melts into it. It doesn't do the virtually endless trail as I was initially looking for, but I reply couldnt be happier. Easily my most "on" pedal.

8. HugalosPizza

HugalosPizza Member

Wow. Agree on everything in this post. Almost seems like what I would have typed to a t.

9. slave

slave Member

I occasionally rehouse and paint pedals.
    AFter a few years of hitting the wrong pedal (think smoke machines and poorly lit stages), I decided to repaint/rehouse my main pedals in varying glow-in-the-dark paint.
    I found that glow paint (even the powerful industrial stuff) takes a very bright light to give them much of a charge, so in a stage work context > the chances of the glow paint making a difference to seeing your pedals thru smoke/bad light IS noticeable and a definite improvement, but only just.
    I'm happy with the end result :aok

N.B. Glow paint only works well when you have it on a lightly coloured background undercoat with lots of coats of glow paint. So you better like white or pastel coloured pedals!!!

10. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

just picked up a used one on a whim today and I am very impressed. It has many qualities I find lacking in most reverb pedals. In fact, I was kind of a reverb pedal hater before this unit, always preferring reverb circuits built into my amps.

11. DecoWaves

DecoWaves Member

Based on my recent review and comparison of the EQD Levitation, I have since returned and enhanced this review of the EQD Ghost Echo. The experience of testing and comparing the unique qualities and tones of both pedals provided me a better understanding of the nuanced nature of the Ghost Echo effect and related control scheme.

12. guitarmania

guitarmania Member

Hi everyone. After some searching for a good reverb pedal, I decided to go with the Ghost Echo. I love the aesthetics, the build, and the fact that the tone doesn't get piercing, but stays warm. My thoughts: I found that in comparing the pedal's sound with the Spring reverb in my amp, the pedal does sound warmer. However, when paired with delay or tremolo before the ghost echo they seem to hardly make any difference even with the dwell on max. They just die out. On the other hand, with the reverb tank in my amp, the tremolo and the delay pedals can be heard throughout the reverb trail.

This is not a bad thing by any means. Just a personal observation after spending some time with the GE. I kinda like it in a way, but it seems the only way around it is to increase the depth/volume/repeats in the delay and tremolo.

I'd love to know if anyone else made a similar observation. Also, has anyone noticed that the GE compresses/boosts/sweetens the tone with the depth knob at zero?

More than just a buffer effect. It actually compresses and sweetens the tone. But I found that it may limit the dynamics of my playing. Or am I just imagining it?

Would love to hear your thoughts! It is really a great reverb pedal. Quality all round, IMO!

Edit: I should note that I place the tremolo, delay, and ghost echo reverb in the effects loop of the amp. Trem-->Delay-->Ghost Echo.

13. DecoWaves

DecoWaves Member

14. coltonius

coltonius SeƱor Member Silver Supporting Member

Bumping a couple of your own 2-year old threads to shill for a new product. Seems a little egotistical, eh?

15. DecoWaves

DecoWaves Member

... a bit off the mark, this considering that none of these products are mine nor do I get anything for my reviews but the joy and satisfaction that I am trying to be a contributing member to the forums while helping others. I had several people engage in the two threads over the past few days via Likes and PMs, and since they relate very much to the most recent review, I thought it would be helpful to cross-link all the threads; this as I already had linked the two original posts within the most recent review. Oh TGP Gods, please forgive me for I know not what I have done .......:jo

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    5cr33nager and pedalparty like this.