NPD: Hello, Old Friend, We Meet Again

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Agileguy_101, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Agileguy_101

Agileguy_101 Member

[​IMG]

El Capistan in the houseeeee

I had one for about a year to 18 months, but I sold it in 2013 when I moved to the Timeline. I have no regrets about that, but I recently decided to make a grab and go board. I knew that the El Cap would probably be my best bet, but I wanted to try something new so I got a Panther Cub in addition. That arrived about a week ago, and the El Cap arrived today.

Holy hell what a difference. I knew just about immediately that the Panther Cub, while great, was nowhere near what I was looking for compared to the El Cap. I just love it so much, particularly the ability to dial in the repeats to get pretty much any tape sound I want.

So yeah, it's good to have the El Capistan back. It really complements the rest of the pedals on the board. Running into my Egnater SW-45 on the plexi mode (the main amp I use this board with) or my 68 Bassman, I can get a plethora of tones and more than enough to get me through most any jam session I can imagine.

The board itself is basically done. I'll be getting a Wombgtone MkII when those come out, and I borrowed the PTD from my big board, so I'm on the list for a Ramble FX Twin Bender which will take that spot. Then it will be done, though I may switch out the PTD and the Twin Bender every once in a while.

2. ohiomatt33

ohiomatt33 Member

That's quite the grab n' go setup you've got there. Nice!

What style group are you planning on using this setup for? Just curious.

3. smitty.west

smitty.west Senior Member

Yep, the El Cap is quite a special pedal- can't ever imagine being without mine.

So did you return the Panther Cub? It's a delay that's been on my radar for a minute, but am not sure I'd be head-over-heels about it given some of the other analogs I own.

Wicked board.

4. Agileguy_101

Agileguy_101 Member

Thanks! I'll be using this board any time I don't want to bring out my big board. With my Egnater set to mild dirt, I can get cleans via my volume knob, saturation with the Light OD, fuzz via my fuzz of choice, and I've still got a phaser (which I can even use as a trem if I need to) and delay. Tuning will be covered via clip ons.

Honestly, I can do most anything with this board that doesn't require an effect I don't have (chorus, flanger, etc.) Once I get my wah back from my old bandmate I can even use that should I need to. With an OD and a fuzz, I've got all the gain I need.

I bought it off ebay, so I'm just going to flip it in the emporium. It's a cool unit, but I think it's better suited to JHS fanbois than someone like me.