NPD......It's a disease.....REALLY!!

JGarofalo3

This is what happens when I am stuck indoors all morning with too much time to kill, music on my mind (as always) and internet favorites set up with EBay, Reverb, TGP and YouTube..........:dude

I am now the proud owner of:

EQD - White Light

MXR Analog Chorus M-234

Douglas Design Leona

EQD Tone Reaper

Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe

Mind you, I am totally excited, have no regret, and can't wait to get my mitts on these stomps but THANK GOD I had a busy afternoon planned LMAO!! :omg

I have not even mentioned the patch cables, picks and other nick-knacks I purchased too!! :bonk

It's a disease REALLY!!! :nuts:nuts

BallaBalla

the Leona is great. have it for a couple of days now and it's great as an overdrive or fuzz. Waiting for your full npd report, especially how you think the leona sounds compared to the scarab deluxe which was on my list, too.

JGarofalo3

the Leona is great. have it for a couple of days now and it's great as an overdrive or fuzz. Waiting for your full npd report, especially how you think the leona sounds compared to the scarab deluxe which was on my list, too.
Was thinking about possibly stacking these along with one other OD in the chain

JGarofalo3

youtube is the worst for GAS.. If you're on youtube, you might as well have an ebay window open too.
True dat......but not everything is on EBay so having the Reverb and of course PayPal windows open complete the circle of GAS stooopdity!! (I picked up 3 on EBay and 2 on Reverb - for those keeping score at home!) :spit

JGarofalo3

As a quick follow up after my incoming pedals all landed, here are my first impressions (Mind you I need to spend more time with each of them so this is just after a few hours kanoodling with them)

All are extremely well made.

EQD - White Light - I'm not quite sure I dig this one yet. Seems like every other OD pedal out there and nothing special or unique. If anyone has or uses one I welcome your feedback and opinion.

MXR Analog Chorus M-234 - Top notch. Was debating between this and another and pulled the trigger on this one because of the deal I was able to get. Extremely versatile and transparent. I know many like this pedal but not quite sure why this doesn't get more praise.

Douglas Design Leona - This pedal is completely badass! I have only taken her out for a test drive of sorts but man, I am super duper impressed by her capabilities. This one may never leave the board.

EQD Tone Reaper - I was torn about getting this one as I felt it was going to be duplicitous from what I have or just obtained. This pedal is terrific and has a tremendous amount of range. While I need more time with her (and all of them) I think she will perform really well as a stand alone and even stacked with some others.

Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe - My first impression: disappointed. Some great videos of this on YT but this pedal underwhelmed me big time. I realize I have to spend time with her but at first glance and play (30-45 minutes twice) it just kept vibing like any other fuzz (or fuzz OD combo) out there and left me "meh". If you are considering this pedal, listen to EVERY sample you can and determine what your needs are. I won't give up on her just yet but there is no worse feeling than being excited about an incoming pedal and then being disappointed, especially when you pay for a boutique one.

WillLane

Within the last year, I've joined UG and TGP and started conversing. I've also subscribed to PGS, LRGD, Andertons, etc. etc. on youtube.

Before, I had a Washburn X-30, Roland Cube, an RP-155, and a very used Micro POG.

Now, I have a 72' Reissue Tele, AC30, Valveking, Soul Food, RAT, Analogizer, Modtone Wah, G3, Hotone Liftup, (still have the POG), DOD Boneshaker, and the Ponyboy. The last two I ordered in the same week. Just ordered the Sonic Stomp as well.

AND WHAT'S EVEN WORSE, is that I've promised myself that after I get the Boneshaker and the Ponyboy, I'll be done for a while. But Musician's Friend just knocked down the price of the Mackie Onyx Blackjack...
:drown :brick

Last edited:

T Dizz

Within the last year, I've joined UG and TGP and started conversing. I've also subscribed to PGS, LRGD, Andertons, etc. etc. on youtube.

Before, I had a Washburn X-30, Roland Cube, an RP-155, and a very used Micro POG.

Now, I have a 72' Reissue Tele, AC30, Soul Food, RAT, Analogizer, Modtone Wah, G3, Hotone Liftup, (still have the POG), DOD Boneshaker, and the Ponyboy. The last two I ordered in the same week.

AND WHAT'S EVEN WORSE, is that I've promised myself that after I get the Boneshaker and the Ponyboy, I'll be done for a while. But Musician's Friend just knocked down the price of the Mackie Onyx Blackjack...
:drown :brick
that sounds about right.

BallaBalla

As a quick follow up after my incoming pedals all landed, here are my first impressions (Mind you I need to spend more time with each of them so this is just after a few hours kanoodling with them)

All are extremely well made.

EQD - White Light - I'm not quite sure I dig this one yet. Seems like every other OD pedal out there and nothing special or unique. If anyone has or uses one I welcome your feedback and opinion.

MXR Analog Chorus M-234 - Top notch. Was debating between this and another and pulled the trigger on this one because of the deal I was able to get. Extremely versatile and transparent. I know many like this pedal but not quite sure why this doesn't get more praise.

Douglas Design Leona - This pedal is completely badass! I have only taken her out for a test drive of sorts but man, I am super duper impressed by her capabilities. This one may never leave the board.

EQD Tone Reaper - I was torn about getting this one as I felt it was going to be duplicitous from what I have or just obtained. This pedal is terrific and has a tremendous amount of range. While I need more time with her (and all of them) I think she will perform really well as a stand alone and even stacked with some others.

Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe - My first impression: disappointed. Some great videos of this on YT but this pedal underwhelmed me big time. I realize I have to spend time with her but at first glance and play (30-45 minutes twice) it just kept vibing like any other fuzz (or fuzz OD combo) out there and left me "meh". If you are considering this pedal, listen to EVERY sample you can and determine what your needs are. I won't give up on her just yet but there is no worse feeling than being excited about an incoming pedal and then being disappointed, especially when you pay for a boutique one.
Ha, love LEONA, too. Can't imagine kicking her of the board. Awesome pedal. I am a bit surprised about your BA Scarab experience. I have a BA Alter Destiny and it's a great companion for LEONA. Mighty NPD!

phazersonstun

I agree. It is a disease.

The binge I've been on lately has been in the very low end cheap thrill range though so not much dough spent.

In the last few weeks I picked up 4 pedals, a guitfiddle to mod & new electronics and hardware for it.

Joyo High Gain Distortion (Shredmaster clone).
I've owned the original and the byoc clone.
This one is pretty faithful.
Made a few errrr.. cosmetic changes.

Monoprice Tube Overdrive (mini TS clone)
Monoprice Booster EQ (surprisingly flexible. Using after dirt for mids & volume boost.)

Behringer RV600 for shimmer

Stagg M350 (jazzmasterish body / Strat guts)
Leftys in that body style are hard to come by.

Spent less than $300 for the pedals & guitar combined.

Last edited:

Jupiter Tarts

The great irony about my gas is that I find myself with the most GAS during the times that I work least. I have all the time in the world to look up pedals, watch videos, and hunt for deals.

When I'm working and raking in enough money to buy new pedals with what amounts to pocket change, Im too busy to do the research or care about pedals.

I fear that when I one day retire, I'll have all the time to look at pedals and all the retirement savings to potentially destroy.

Unchained81

I just picked up a new Joyo AC tone for $32. What a freaking bargain. Great sounding pedal with so many tone options. Been using it to give just a little grit to clean sound. For a Vox sound this appears to really nail it but I haven't had a chance to really crank it yet.

DaveKS

Not just pedals, went on eBay looking for a old Vortex rack, had all this bought before I went to bed.

$37

$100

And finally one old pedal for $70.

Squatch57

I'm stuck up in the mountains so I don't get to scrounge the pawn shops
I've gotten some stonker online deals which justifies me spending more on certain things
I paid $120 for a Guyatone Slow Volume this week..a lot, but it seems to work as good as the Boss

JGarofalo3

Ha, love LEONA, too. Can't imagine kicking her of the board. Awesome pedal. I am a bit surprised about your BA Scarab experience. I have a BA Alter Destiny and it's a great companion for LEONA. Mighty NPD!
I dig the BA Alter Destiny and that is probably the pedal I should have gotten instead of the Scarab. I find the Scarab to be similar tonally to the Leona in that it is bright, (The Leona stays on the board) The Alter Destiny has a darker/heavier vibe and I think the AD would be terrific with the Leona whereas the Scarab doesn't give more range. Just my .02 (Anyone want to trade a BA Scarab for an Alter Destiny let me know!)

BallaBalla

I dig the BA Alter Destiny and that is probably the pedal I should have gotten instead of the Scarab. I find the Scarab to be similar tonally to the Leona in that it is bright, (The Leona stays on the board) The Alter Destiny has a darker/heavier vibe and I think the AD would be terrific with the Leona whereas the Scarab doesn't give more range. Just my .02 (Anyone want to trade a BA Scarab for an Alter Destiny let me know!)
you're right, the Alter Destiny has a somehow darker vibe, but you can get very bright sounds, too Very versatile. When stacked, the Leona brightens the AD up a bit. Good combination IMO.

Trending Topics