NPD: JHS AT+

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Doomrider78, May 30, 2020.

1. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

I've been toying with the idea of using pedals with my Katana Artist for a while, or at least trying them for comparison. Today, on a rainy day here in Vancouver, I decided to take my unused MD-500 (I've decided I'm not much of a modulation guy) into my local store and traded it for the AT+.

Sounds: So far, I'm digging it: I created a simple clean setup on the Kat and plugged the AT straight in front. With the boost, I can get into pretty high gain territory, but it also sounds good dialled back with the guitar volume. The boost on its own is a nice touch and allows another option when looking for a cleaner tone that still breaks up, without engaging the primary gain on the pedal (the 2 foot switches are completely independent).

Convenience: Perhaps more important than the sound is I am liking the convenience of just stooping down to adjust something. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Katana hater by any means, but I'm also not much of a menu diver (I use enough IT at work), so just using the Kat like an ordinary amp and adjusting settings on the pedal is much more my style.

:beer

Mandeezee and Philhouse like this.
  2. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Update: I'm liking it more, the more I play with it. It seems difficult to get a bad sound out of it, from gritty blues to thrash metal. OK, it won't do "djent", or modern super-high gain, but that's a good thing, in my book.

HoneyNut likes this.
  3. tonedover

tonedover Silver Supporting Member

i think its really great for what its trying to do...

supposed to be a jcm800 plus boost - likely a guv’nor derivative circuit - i really liked it alot and may rebuy it later this year

the “air” knob was a cool tonal option and somehow, its voiced well enough i didnt feel i needed a full 3 band eq

Doomrider78 likes this.
  4. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Yeah, it works really well. I guess, if I'm being picky, it would be useful to have an independent tone control for the boost.

5. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Sorry for the shameless bump but I just gotta say this pedal loves Strat single coils :rockin

6. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

Agreed! This is my favorite pedal for a high gain overdrive sound when using a Strat bridge single coil (and I only play Strats....so that's important to me!). It sounds big and full with just a really pleasing quality to it. Kick on the boost for a little added punch for solos. I like to run mine at 18v and the 50w setting but I enjoy being able to flip to the 25w setting when I want that cranked amp sound at low bedroom practice volumes too.

7. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Nice. I have no way of trying it at 18v at the moment, but it sounds great without it.

I was playing it with my PRS and then realised I hadn't tried it with my Strat: Changed guitars and there was this great tone. I'd like to try a HSS Strat with it.

8. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Sorry, forgot to say that the Strat was tuned down to Eb.