NPD - King Tone Mini Fuzz (GE), amazing pedal!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fabulusfab777, Mar 18, 2020.

1. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Member

Hello guys,

So in the last few weeks I did some gear switcharoo and some acquisition (regular day in TGP world!) and the latest one has been this King Tone Mini Fuzz (ge). I've owned and tried/tested many fuzz over the years, and many of the fuzz face kind. Going by memory, I've owned : A few MJM London Fuzzes, Hartman vintage, Oxfuzz, SolidGoldfx If 6 was 9, Fulltone (69 and 70), Dunlop Bonamassa, Lovepedal (forgot which one) and a few local made clones. All good variations, and I don't have any to do a side by side comparison so I'm only going to say what I really like about the King Tone mini and why it's my favorite Fuzz right now.

So it has some really useful features, but most importantly it's the tone. It's got THE fuzz-face tone I hear in my head (yes I hear fuzz in my head, and no it's not yet talking to me...lol). The transistors are NKT275, probably Newmarket ones, but I want to try and not focus on this since, I've focused way too much on that kind of things in the past and not always with best results.

I am currently running it into my Tweed Deluxe clone amp, and in the first few days I only got to try lowish volumes, was still good, but yesterday I really opened up the amp a bit, to get power tubes cooking and the way I would run it at band practice or for a show, and wow, the interaction between this fuzz and the amp is great. That was with a Strat, but I'll have my LP back in two days so will be able to try that as well.

Now as far as features goes, the bias knob, with the bias light that tell you ideal bias is a crazy nice idea! also the internal dip switches for adjusting bass and output are also a nice touch.

I may not have have a band practice or show soon, given the current situation, but I have a feeling this fuzz will just kill!

[​IMG]

Anyone else tried or own one at the moment ?

woof* likes this.
  2. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Very cool! Congrats!

fabulusfab777 likes this.
  3. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Member

Thanks, it's a great pedal, should be considered by anyone looking for a great germanium FF. Maybe a bit on the pricey side, but so are many other options for similar pedals.

4. woof*

woof* Member

Jesse makes the best stuff!

BradleyCB and fabulusfab777 like this.
  5. woof*

woof* Member

By the way...if you like that fuzz...you will die when you play an Octaland

fuchs and fabulusfab777 like this.
  6. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Member

I had heard about this brand and some of their pedals a few months ago, but now owning this one and looking at other pedals of the line, they have a very powerfull lineup!

The Octaland is really tempting...

woof* likes this.
  7. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Member

Lol...great minds....

woof* likes this.
  8. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

I got one of these in last week and agree completely, sounds amazing and is what I’ve been looking for in a fuzz. The bias indicator light is a cool feature and the pedal looks as awesome as it sounds too.

9. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

I got one last week and really dig it! BTW, rocking the MiniFUZZ into a cooking Marshall plexi in Zonk mode is killah!

Purplexi and fabulusfab777 like this.
  10. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Member

I'm sure it is! The Zonk setting is interesting, not a ''night and day'' difference, but sort of mid focused (hard to explained) but I can see this really cutting through in a live mix. What I really like about the mini fuzz when I ran it into my 5E3 clone at volume is that I could get the clean, then overdrive (Strat volume at like 7-8) then Full on Fuzz goodness. Some fun stuff in that box!

11. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Member

For those of you that have one, did you also try running it into a light OD ? I really like min into the KOT, if I can't run the amp loud enough. I would also really like to try running it into a Klon type pedal... I know I'm just creating myself some needs right now !!

12. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Member

Hey guys,

Just bumping this to ask a question to fellow owners. I've been without a humbucker guitar for a while but I now have a HSS Superstrat type (Stevenson) and I'm not used to how the fuzz reacts to the humbucker. When volume is on 10 on the guitar on the bridge humbucker, I need to turn the fuzz amount down for it not to be too muddy. Any of you guys running this fuzz with humbucker guitar ? What settings are you using ?

Thanks

Daren Anderson likes this.
  13. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

I would like to hear my Mini Fuzz Ge before a Klon, maybe a KTR. Right now I run it with a Bad Monkey OD(TS). If you get the chance, try placing the Mini in front of wah or another fuzz!

14. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Member

Yeah i'd really like to try it into a Klon type (KTR...etc) at some point. Right now, I have it first in chain, followed by my wah, tuner, Big Cheese clone fuzz, KOT, Boss DD-3 and last is a tremolo/boost pedal. With my new guitar on the bridge pickup, what I've tried so far was lowering the fuzz level a bit, and also running it into the KOT, just the boost side, drive low, gives me good results, but I'm still experimenting with it

Purplexi likes this.
  15. woof*

woof* Member

I’m a Fuzzface freak and I have never liked them with humbuckers.

16. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Member

Yeah, I'm afraid I'll probably come to that conclusion as well, but maybe some compromise or pairing with other pedals will help.

woof* likes this.
  17. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member

yeah, when i use it, it's almost always on before another blaster (Nobels or Gain Changer). i only ever use one OD, and it's never very gainy. i have some clips i could share if you're interested.

18. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Member

Yeah, I'd really like to hear them!

19. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

Check out this Les Paul with Sunface fuzzes. These transistors give the LP some really tight OD and creamy distortion tones. Not what you'd normally expect from a FF!

20. crazyneddie

crazyneddie Member

My buddy has one of those and it sounds incredible!

Purplexi likes this.