NPD Kingsley Jouster

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
So I finally received the Kingsley Jouster V2 yesterday. After putting in the order in January, it was long wait, but I think it was worth it. I do miss the days when the pedal was shipped soon after ordering.

I do have a Kinglsey HarlotV1 and Jester V2. The Harlot has been a fixture on my small P&W board pretty much since I got it. I am hoping that the Jouster will give me another gain option on the fly and I can move the Harlot to another board.

I started by comparing the Harlot and Jouster using a MIA strat with suhr FL pickups through a Vox AC50 set clean with the channels jumpered. Immediately the bite of the harlot was apparent. The Jouster sounds thicker by comparison. The big difference between the two is that with the harlot and jester as you go up the modes, the voicing and gain increases. On the Jouster its more voice changes, with modes 2 and 3 having more gain than mode 1. As I was comparing, I was liking the harlot more, but I think that was partially its familiarity. Once I started getting the hang of the Jouster, it really started working for me.

Mode 1 on the Jouster Simon describes as the most open, and I hear that. Its pretty balanced and has a very good gain range. I was able to dial in an edge of breakup tone without it sounding choked, like I have seen described.

Mode 2, Simon describes as having less mids and more gain. I do hear the added aggression here. With the strat though, I missed the mids on this mode. This mode wanted to rock and didn’t do as well being throttled back.

Mode 3, Simon describes as being a smooth mode 2. I would say its like a dark and smooth mode 2. I am turn the tone all the way up on this mode with the strat bridge pickup and could still use more brightness. This mode would be great if your amp has a bright cap and you are running it at low volume.

Channel 2 is a repeat of channel 1 with more gain.

While on the Harlot I lived on mode 2 and use the other modes sparingly. On the Jouster, I think I will likely be living on mode 1 and use mode 2 sparingly. I will probably rarely use mode 3. Mode 1 on the Jouster reminds me a lot of the Jester mode 1, which is great, since I love that mode.

I still want to ABC all the Kinglsey pedals I have together, but so far the Jouster is meeting my expectations and then some. I also want to try my Klone into the jouster to see how it responds. The Klone into the Harlot works great and I use a Tubescreamer into the Jester. It will also be interesting to see how the Jouster works with a dual humbucker guitar and if I still like its low gain/edge of breakup tone.

Gold Supporting Member
Man, you use a lot of dirt. Not a dig, just an observation. I love my Jouster (V2). I never really understood the stacking theory unless it was a tubescreamer into the front end of a high gain amp, or a booster to get the tubes cooking on a fairly clean amp. I used to try stacking a lot, and I liked it at the time, but I don't really think the Kingsley stuff needs a boost. Let that sucker breathe and do its thing before you paint another layer on top.

Edit: By the way, try the humbuckers immediately. I think that's what the Jouster was made for.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Man, you use a lot of dirt. Not a dig, just an observation. I love my Jouster (V2). I never really understood the stacking theory unless it was a tubescreamer into the front end of a high gain amp, or a booster to get the tubes cooking on a fairly clean amp. I used to try stacking a lot, and I liked it at the time, but I don't really think the Kingsley stuff needs a boost. Let that sucker breathe and do its thing before you paint another layer on top.

Edit: By the way, try the humbuckers immediately. I think that's what the Jouster was made for.
I used the Klone into the Harlot to get another dynamic and gain level. I leave the gain on the Klone very low and bump the volume, so it was just pushing the front end a bit more. With my plan for the Jouster, I will likely leave either OD1 or OD2 for the song and use the Klone to get that extra bump in volume and saturation for solos and build moments. I generally have had better luck with running amps gain channels or pedal gain a bit lower and then boosting the front end, Kingsley pedals being no exception. I think we just do things a bit differently, but I appreciate your perspective and feedback.

I think for P&W I will use each channel on mode 1 and set the gain between 10 and 11 oclock, volume around noon, and tone at 2 to 3 oclock. At least last night, that seemed to be my favorite settings.

The mains guitars I will use have humbuckers, as the dimmers at Church make using single coils (even with an Illitch backplate) pretty much impossible to use. I just happened to have those guitars in the case.

Reactions: WWW

Gold Supporting Member
Hey, meant no offense man, and I don't think you took any. I just love the Jouster so much that I believe it can stand alone as its own entity. That's all I meant to say.

335fuzzdelay

Congratulations! After being undecided for a long time (still am, in fact) I chose a Jester over the Jouster and I am on the waiting line for it. Have you tried stacking the boost side of the Jester with the Harlot or the Jouster?

Abram4235

Nice review @blackba

Weird timing on this. I just got notification that my Page V2 is ready to ship today so it looks like I'll be getting it in a few days!

Oh wait...I'm amp-less at the moment :(

JD_A

Congrats on the Jouster. I'm trying to decide between the Jester and Jouster. I'm wondering if the Jouster also works well with a slightly broken up amp?

Thanks

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Hey, meant no offense man, and I don't think you took any. I just love the Jouster so much that I believe it can stand alone as its own entity. That's all I meant to say.
No offense taken. I appreciate your perspective. I may find that I don't use the Klone anymore once the Jouster goes on the board.

Do you mind sharing your settings and favorite modes on each channel?

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Congratulations! After being undecided for a long time (still am, in fact) I chose a Jester over the Jouster and I am on the waiting line for it. Have you tried stacking the boost side of the Jester with the Harlot or the Jouster?
That's in the plan to try the Jester boosting the other two. I will let you know how it goes. I will try the Jester boost into the Jouster first, as the Jouster is floating so that will be quicker to test.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Congrats on the Jouster. I'm trying to decide between the Jester and Jouster. I'm wondering if the Jouster also works well with a slightly broken up amp?

Thanks
I will get to trying the jouster into a dirty amp, but it may be a while.

I can report that the Jester works great into a dirty amp. Especially the boost side. Ever since I got the power station, I have been using the Jester boost side a good deal. Works awesome. For the OD side, to me it sounds best with a dirty amp if you set the gain lower and the volume high. The Jester EQ is very powerful and great for making it work with any amp. Time will tell if the Jouster will favor some amps over others. I went with the Jester over the Jouster for my first Kingsley pedal as I really wanted the 3 band eq and thought the boost would be very useful. I think I made a good choice, but here I am a few years later getting a Jouster too.

If there was someway that Simon could make the modes footswitchable and one not have to change the volume and gain between modes, that would be awesome. With the Jester, I really like all the modes and its hard to pick just one. I am not big on changing pedal settings live and if so as simple of a change as possible.

335fuzzdelay

I went with the Jester over the Jouster for my first Kingsley pedal as I really wanted the 3 band eq and thought the boost would be very useful. I think I made a good choice, but here I am a few years later getting a Jouster too.
I thought the same except for the boost, which for me is a bonus. Do you think the the Jester OD is a good choice for classic rock and hard rock rhythm playing in a clean blackface-like amp? For leads and boosting a cooking amp, I'm sure it's great.

Curtis james

Gold Supporting Member

Playing primarily single coils.....I just recently started using humbuckers with the Kingsley's and didn't think there was another smile left within.
My lord, the sustain and note blooms just took another leap. So, enjoy the journey, and push em with some singles and hums. Have fun makin music

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I thought the same except for the boost, which for me is a bonus. Do you think the the Jester OD is a good choice for classic rock and hard rock rhythm playing in a clean blackface-like amp? For leads and boosting a cooking amp, I'm sure it's great.
So I got a chance to try the Jester in front of the Jouster. This time I used a Fender Bandmaster Reverb and a Gibson ES-339 with Suhr thornbuckers. Its the closest I have to a BF and a 335.

The boost from the Jester sounds great into the Jouster. I tried both the mid boost and the full boost setting and liked both. Next, I started to see if I could dial in the Jester to sound similar to the Jouster and vise versa. Comparing OD1 on the Jouster to the OD on the Jester, the Jouster always sounded more aggressive and had a touch more bite. However, when I kicked on the boost, then the Jester actually had more aggression and cut.

The Jouster OD2 had more gain then the Jester maxed out with the boost as expected. But to answer the question of if the Jester can do classic rock and hard rock. Yes it can, no problem. The Jouster does give you more available gain, but less shaping options. For pushing the gain more, I gravitated toward mode 1 on OD1 and Mode 2 on OD2. For the Jester, I used mode 3.

One thing I noticed on the Jouster is that the OD1 has significantly more low end chunk than OD2 regardless of mode. I checked this with a palm mute and it was pretty apparent. However, when playing I didn’t find this a big deal, but I will keep it in mind if I decide I want more low end on OD2 as I would guess its just a bypass cap change to address that.

I also tried a tubescreamer into the Jouster and while I really like it with the Jester, I didn’t like it as much with the Jouster. I preferred the boost from the Jester into the Jouster, just blended seamlessly. The tubescreamer with the Jouster was a touch on the harsh side and with OD2, rolled off too much bass.

335fuzzdelay

So I got a chance to try the Jester in front of the Jouster. This time I used a Fender Bandmaster Reverb and a Gibson ES-339 with Suhr thornbuckers. Its the closest I have to a BF and a 335.

The boost from the Jester sounds great into the Jouster. I tried both the mid boost and the full boost setting and liked both. Next, I started to see if I could dial in the Jester to sound similar to the Jouster and vise versa. Comparing OD1 on the Jouster to the OD on the Jester, the Jouster always sounded more aggressive and had a touch more bite. However, when I kicked on the boost, then the Jester actually had more aggression and cut.

The Jouster OD2 had more gain then the Jester maxed out with the boost as expected. But to answer the question of if the Jester can do classic rock and hard rock. Yes it can, no problem. The Jouster does give you more available gain, but less shaping options. For pushing the gain more, I gravitated toward mode 1 on OD1 and Mode 2 on OD2. For the Jester, I used mode 3.

One thing I noticed on the Jouster is that the OD1 has significantly more low end chunk than OD2 regardless of mode. I checked this with a palm mute and it was pretty apparent. However, when playing I didn’t find this a big deal, but I will keep it in mind if I decide I want more low end on OD2 as I would guess its just a bypass cap change to address that.

I also tried a tubescreamer into the Jouster and while I really like it with the Jester, I didn’t like it as much with the Jouster. I preferred the boost from the Jester into the Jouster, just blended seamlessly. The tubescreamer with the Jouster was a touch on the harsh side and with OD2, rolled off too much bass.
Thank you very much for this answer! It seems that the Jester would be great for me. If I need more drive, I'll follow you and also order a Jouster or a Harlot and stack them.

JD_A

I will get to trying the jouster into a dirty amp, but it may be a while.

I can report that the Jester works great into a dirty amp. Especially the boost side. Ever since I got the power station, I have been using the Jester boost side a good deal. Works awesome. For the OD side, to me it sounds best with a dirty amp if you set the gain lower and the volume high. The Jester EQ is very powerful and great for making it work with any amp. Time will tell if the Jouster will favor some amps over others. I went with the Jester over the Jouster for my first Kingsley pedal as I really wanted the 3 band eq and thought the boost would be very useful. I think I made a good choice, but here I am a few years later getting a Jouster too.

If there was someway that Simon could make the modes footswitchable and one not have to change the volume and gain between modes, that would be awesome. With the Jester, I really like all the modes and its hard to pick just one. I am not big on changing pedal settings live and if so as simple of a change as possible.
Thanks for the info.

I'm leaning toward the Jester/Minstrel combo, thinking the 3 band eq might come in handy. I do like that the Jouster has 2 OD channels, but I'd probably use the lower gain channel most the time. The Harlot+Page combo might be cool too.

Thanks, JD....

Last edited:

BluesHarp

The Jouster is a JCM800 like high gain monster.. one of the top 3 best high gain pedals ive ever played through.
Take your time because it takes time with tube swaps and knob tweaking to dial in the best sound. Lots of
cool stuff in there but it isnt a simply plug and rock pedal.. its a complicated musical instrument that needs
to be set up right ( as well as setting up the amp correctly ) and understood to get the best tones out of it.
In fact.. all of the Kingsley pedals are actual amps in a small box.. "pedals" almost are an understatement.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
So I used the jouster this weekend at church into the top boost mode on my Mesa ta15. The jouster worked great with my dual Anderson humbucker Fender contemporary telecaster . I used mode 1 on both channels. It was exactly what I wanted, as I could dial in a similiar crunch tone to the harlot on od1 and use od2 for more over the top gain. Both took the Klone as a boost great. This setup and varying my pickups and touch really yielded a lot of versatility. Very pleased.

Only modes I don't see myself using is mode 3 on either channel, just too dark, even with the tone maxed.

Trending Topics