NPD - Mad Professor Supreme Double Overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RYAN1987M, Dec 1, 2019 at 10:52 AM.

1. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Supporting Member

Just wanted to share some impressions now that I've had the Mad Professor Supreme for about a week...

It's really impressed me so much! It's my first Mad Professor pedal and therefore I have no basis of comparison against any of their other designs. The 'A' side (left) is based on the MP Royal Blue and the 'B' side (right) is based on the MP Simble (although their promotional material doesn't call that out implicitly).

First off, I find the build quality of the pedal to be top-notch. It seems sturdy and I have no concerns about its longevity. I think it's also quite a looker - I love the color which reminds me of Fender's Ice Blue Metallic.

I really like how they've marketed this pedal - use the A side for your neck pickup and the B side for your bridge pickup. Maybe I'm alone on this, but I've never approached a double OD pedal in this manner. It seems simple enough, of course, but it really changed my approach for dialing the Supreme in. First off, it was interesting to try the pedal with all eight knobs set to noon. You could hear that each side has its own unique and distinct voice. Even with extreme EQ tweaking, I couldn't make one side sound like the other - for me, this is a positive. I like that the two sides are voiced differently.

It was interesting to try both the A & B sides with the neck, middle, and bridge positions on my Telecaster. With everything at noon, the A side sounded best with my neck pickup (and in the middle position) and the B side sounded best with my bridge pickup. This was a bit of a revelation for me! I guess it made me think that, with every other OD that I've tried, I just try to dial it in to sound good with my set-up...but that forces me to make compromises. Some ODs sound great regardless of which pickup you're using, but I believe that this approach of dialing in each side for a particular pickup allowed me to really optimize that circuit to achieve the best possible tones that it has to offer.

With all of that being said, I began to dial in the A side to really bring out the best from my Tele neck pickup - Vol & Gain at 10 o'clock, with some bass cut and some treble boost. Sounds fantastic! Then I dialed in the B side to make my Tele bridge pickup shine - Vol at 10 o'clock, Gain at 2 o'clock, with some bass boost and treble cut. It was really interesting to then try my neck pickup through the B side and my bridge pickup through the A side...I really didn't care for it. Again though, no wonder some of my other ODs sound best with only one pickup position. And if they sound okay in all positions, then I've probably compromised too much and I'm missing out a bit.

The switching options for this pedal are really cool! With the toggle switch set to the right - the left foot switch turns the A/left side on & off and the right foot switch turns the B/right side on & off. In this mode, both sides can be on at the same time (B into A)...personally, I didn't love the stacked sound all that much. Alternatively, you can have the toggle switch set to the left - the right foot switch acts like a global on/off for the unit and the left foot switch toggles between the two sides. There is no ability to stack or have both engaged simultaneously in this mode.

Strictly from a utility perspective, I'd say that the MP Supreme is the most versatile double overdrive that I've tried. I've also owned all of the following double ODs (or OD+Boost) - CopperSound Foxcatcher / JHS Double Barrel V3 / Lovepedal Amp 11 (Big Box) / SolidGoldFX Zeta DLX. I understand that it's not fair to compare all of them because they're all different styles...but strictly in terms of sonic versatility, I'd give the MP Supreme top marks!

2. RYAN1987M

3. jaydub69

jaydub69 Member

Thanks for a descriptive review. Looking seriously at this pedal to supplement my Twimble. Still not sure I’d like the Royal Blue side for my needs.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  4. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

Don't know a single pedal on that board, awesome!

LeftyGtrPlr and RYAN1987M like this.
  5. soma

soma Supporting Member

Great well now I'll need a new pedal for my middle pickup.

RYAN1987M, DJ_61 and Bluesful like this.
  6. RYAN1987M

Haha, I know I sound a little crazy in my original post. It just really struck me though, after tinkering around with the Supreme.

I've never thought of dialing in my other ODs around a particular pickup position before. And, in fairness, all of my other ODs seem to sound fine regardless of pickup position.

But I'm sure if I put my guitar in the bridge position, and then adjusted each OD to sound as good as possible...and then if I switched to the neck pickup, and went through the same exercise, I'd bet the knobs would all end up in different places.

So I guess I just think it's an interesting approach. And I'll admit that I've bought into that with the Supreme and am enjoying the results of having one side optimized for rhythm (neck) and the other side optimized for lead (bridge).

7. HomeInMyShoes

HomeInMyShoes Member

Nice overview.

And wow! First board I've seen that has a Nine Volt (Animals) pedal on it. Nice.

I've got the Fishing is as Fun as Fuzz pedal on mine.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  8. IRG

IRG Member

Nice review, thanks. I think I saw you mention it in the Pedalboard thread. I hadn't heard of this pedal before. I used to be a big fan of MadProf/BJFE/Bearfoot pedals, still am, I just don't own anything by them right now. Definitely would again.

Double pedals really intrigue me. I've been a huge fan of the Keeley D&M Drive since it came out. Similarly, it is just so versatile, although not designed to be for one pickup or the other. Left side is an OCD/Marshally type tone, the right side is more of a Klone. But I really like them stacked too. So versatile, that i don't have any other overdrive in my arsenal. Thought about getting something in addition, but I really don't know what it would be.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  9. christophervolume

christophervolume Member

So is this a tube screamer and klone type?

RYAN1987M likes this.
  10. IRG

IRG Member

Don't think so. I forget what the Royal Blue is based on, a Marshall type circuit? The other side is a Dumble in a box type. OP should know though...

RYAN1987M likes this.
  11. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Supporting Member

Cool review + gear use revelation share, thanks! :)

I think that toggle is a great feature! But I wonder how it impacts an order switcher, which is the other toggle that is nice on dual drives in single enclosures. Both would be supreme max.

I read the that Royal Blue is sensitive to loading, which put me off it since I'm running overdrive in the loop of an HX effects these days, but that may give a clue about the circuit. Sounds great in demos I've encountered, it's one I would really like to try out.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  12. jaydub69

jaydub69 Member

I was using my Twimble specifically for the bridge pickup so no, not strange at all. After some tweaking, however, I got to the point where I like it for both humbuckers.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  13. markokarhu

markokarhu Member

Hi! Royal Blue (A) is very transparent low to medium gain drive. So not very heavy on mids. It has a versatile EQ section though. Royal Blue is its own thing, not really based on anything. And the other side (B) is a new circuit based loosely on the Dumble thing, it is more mid heavy than the A side and has some power amp simulation added to the circuit and that makes the transition from clean to overdrive very amp like. Supreme was designed in collaboration with Matt Schofield.

Kevsonic and RYAN1987M like this.
  14. markokarhu

markokarhu Member

Hi, Royal Blue is actually not that sensitive and should work out fine. It is actually B side going into A side (royal Blue) in Supreme pedal too.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  15. Gookiecrunch

Gookiecrunch Member

It's my favorite pedal. I've always had an issue with compromising the neck to bridge tones. I emailed marko last summer asking for a double royal blue so I could dial one side for the neck and the other for the bridge and he said he was working on this very pedal... went to last years namm show just to check out this pedal (and the two rocks) and it came out beautifully. Ordered it as soon as I could. Just what I wanted. Just so happens it was being made for matt too so although it makes me feel like a Matt clone (especially now since hes been playing that new blue guitar) (my main strat is blue as well) I absolutely love this pedal. Does exactly what I wanted it to. Nice and open for the neck and thickens up for the bridge. Lots of dynamics available and just sings. It's the only pedal I bring to 90% of my gigs. Sometimes I'll use a white tchula as well but it's either or and the tchula has no eq available so I can't really dial perfectly the bridge or neck. But it still sounds great. The supreme is my main pedal and I can't see changing it for any reason. Highly highly recommended.. (in fact theres a couple people around town who got one just cause they heard and or I let try mine.) More people should use a mad professor. Now i dont know what to do with my royal blue. Lol

markokarhu and RYAN1987M like this.
  16. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

I’ve owned a Royal Blue and a Simble, but not at the same time. I remember really liking them both. They don’t really fit my rig these days, but I would still kind of like to get a Supreme, just for the hell of it.

markokarhu and RYAN1987M like this.