NPD: Mooer Yellow Compressor

Jaredstepp

Alright, I love compressors, I love the compression as an effect, but mostly I love it in the subtle ways that a studio uses compression on everything (that's how I learned compression).

My favorite pedal compressor of all time is the Empress Compressor, it works like a studio compressor and has a visible meter of the compression amount: unmatched.

That said, my compressor budget (money & space) was smaller than the Empress this time. So I decided to take a look at the Mooer Yellow Comp. It is touted as optical and mostly transparent with an EQ knob to make up for any lack of transparency - a lot like the Diamond Compressor (oh, and it's yellow, so . . . there's that . . . obvious comparison).

What I found was that the Mooer greatly surpassed my expectations - it was extremely smooth (no pumping) even with very high compression amounts. The attack and release have been set expertly on this pedal, so that it makes the guitar sound natural while adding the desired squish on dynamics. Sustain - yes - lots of it. Hiss/Noise - very little even at the highest level (compressors by nature bring out the noise in every other part of the rig - not their fault) - the mooer is about as quiet as a compressor can be. It was a Boost without distortion (compressor distortion is generally not what we want)

End Result: the pedal grades out very well . . . Now if they only could put a meter on that little thing . . . :)

annostyle

It's a great compressor. I like mine as well. Had a Diamond awhile back, they are very similar. The Mooer wins out for me because it's small and much much cheaper.

Jaredstepp

It is a direct clone I believe
I don't like that people are ripping off other people's ideas (cloning). On the other hand, it seems like a modified and improved version since it takes up less than half the pedalboard real estate. If it was easy to do, why didn't Diamond do it?

Anyway, if it were a direct copy/copyright infringement I wouldn't want it on my board. I don't know.

rafsza

Don' t worry about cloning. Some branded companies make big money by exploiting some Asian people, which is as unethical as infringement. The modern SMD technology along with elimination of unnecessary battery compartments make possible to reduce outdated pedals harmlessly but marketing of well established companies is aware of the stupidity of average musicians who are firstly conservative, secondly brand/signature pursuers and thirdly don't know what is inside their boxes nevertheless. I'm not only a musician but also an electronic engineer and studied business. This game is only about money, believe me.

I picked up a used one from a local guitar shop after hearing all the raves on here, especially how transparent it is. I was just looking for a slight compression to even out my playing, nothing more. Well, I returned it last week. It was too transparent, lol. It almost seemed to have no effect and I couldn't give up the pedal board real estate for something not useful. My search continues. Maybe an Ego Compressor is next? I'd love to try a Cali76 but can't justify the cost right now. Glad it's working for you.

dirk_benedict

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Mooer for a while, after having the Diamond for a couple years. Best I can say is that the mooer is 90% the sound and 100% the functionality of the Diamond at 33% of the cost.

In a side-by-side isolated power situation I felt my Mooer was a teeny tiny but noisier.