NPD (more like week): KoT & Boomerang

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by niclake13, Mar 1, 2012.

1. niclake13

niclake13 Member

My number finally came up for the KoT, so I pulled the trigger. Both sides high gain. Wasn't sure if I'd keep it, but I was certain that if I didn't, I could flip it pretty quick.

Dear Lord, it's sweet sounding. I have right side OD, left side "clean". Tried the distortion, and it sounds great, but it just doesn't have a place within the music I play (P&W mostly). I can just stack ODs if I need the extra gain... and with a KoT, a Pearl, a TS9, and a Timmy, I've got plenty of OD to stack. Haha.

The Boomerang showed up this afternoon. Tons of features, and I'm finally getting a handle on it. The possibilities are really endless with this setup. Now just to figure out if I'll fit it on the rig somewhere, or just carry it on my Pedaltrain Mini...

[​IMG]

2. jocfan1

jocfan1 Member

Congrats! Looks like your board was pretty serious to begin with, but that's a huge addition for just one week.

I'm curious how you feel about having the high-gain mod on both sides of your KoT. I'm on the waitlist myself (still a while to go, unfortunately), but I was thinking about doing the same thing. I'm currently just using my amp's tube OD and I already have a boost that I love, but no dirt pedals, so my plan was to set the two sides for OD and distortion, respectively, to give me the broadest possible range of sounds with my setup. Have you felt like it was worth it? I mean, $10 per side isn't going to break anyone's budget if they're already dropping $235 on the pedal, but do you think you're missing any tonal options by having both sides modded?

Obviously anyone else with KoT-related knowledge is welcome to chime in.

3. Socrates

Socrates Member

Is there any difference between the yellow and red sides?

4. iahawk36

iahawk36 Supporting Member

Dude...I LOVE your board...nicely done!

5. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

Nice board and the boomerang is definitely frosting on your cake. You will love it!

Kind Regards,
    Steve

6. jb4674

jb4674 Member

So, how much do you want for the KoT?

7. antbosca

antbosca Member

Love the sign. Genius!

8. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

From the "factory", the KOT has the yellow side set to clean boost mode, and the red side set to overdrive mode.

BUT, there are internal switches that let you set either side for clean boost OR overdrive OR distortion. Basically, the KOT is two triple-mode drive pedals in one enclosure.

You can run each side seperately, or combine the two sides (in whatever mode they are set) together.

Neat, huh?

9. teleclem

teleclem Member

10. niclake13

niclake13 Member

According to Mike (Analogman), no one runs their drive below 12 anyway. Or something like that. It's cutting out fluff that no one uses, and giving you more on top. As you can see, my drives are up around 1 with the high-gain, and they'd be closer to maxed out w/out the option. So that's my 2¢.

There are dip switches inside the pedal to select either "clean", "OD", or "distortion" modes. My yellow side is clean, and red side is OD.

11. Socrates

Socrates Member

So the high-gain mod was worthwhile for both sides?

12. niclake13

niclake13 Member

Yep, the high-gain mod was very much worth it. Didn't lose anything, and gained (see what I did there?) a whole lot.