NPD: MXR cae 404 wah, couple questions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by still.ill, Jan 15, 2015.

1. still.ill

still.ill Member

Never had a wah before, and initially i was a little underwhelmed, i could get that cocked wah prince "Let's go crazy" sound, and the percussive muting voodoo child sounds, but little else.

i can see it takes some coordination practice before using it to generate original ideas --- its hard to make your foot do a different rhythm than what one is playing
    a lot more so than just lead noodling,

The internal trim pots---- does anyone know how they work? is it altering the sweep? I seem to like setting both all the way Counter clock wise.

Oddly enough it seems to sound better with my modeling Mustang II than my tube Peavey VK Combo 20. usually I play the open-backed valveking for everything except metal, cuz the 4x12 sag/bias emulation in the closed back Mustang II has a lot more thumpy low-end. This is just a crappy iPhone recording, but you can hear what i mean really clearly--- the 2nd amp just seems to react alot more aggressive with the CAE + Barber cdd.
    [SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/hermionegrandeur/mxr-cae-404-wah[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  2. FooMesa

FooMesa Member

I've got the MC404 and mine is very expressive. I recently started playing with the trim pots and found that the internal gain trim pot will affect how much wah there is I guess you could say. I dialed it all the way back and my wah sounded like yours. The factory setting is too hot for my liking so I roll it down just a bit but not too much. Now my wah is very expressive and doesn't get too loud when I kick it on. Maybe try that gain trim pot.

3. still.ill

still.ill Member

is the gain trim pot the + shaped pot in there? so rotate ccw for less gain?

4. Garage Dog

Garage Dog Member