• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

NPD (new project day): Inner 12-year-old SuperStrat

johnspeck

Silver Supporting Member
Greetings all.
I've been craving a nice 'superstrat' since I sold my Charvel Natural, and finally got the beginnings of a new project together.

I scored a cheap partscaster on Reverb that had a few key ingredients: mahogany body, nice neck with a Charvel radius (10-16") and jumbo frets, and as a bonus, an EMG 85-89 set.

^As I purchased the guitar^

The neck is a really nice brand new USACG Tele, but the body is an amateur job, and the assembly was seriously bad (sorry PO if you are reading this, but yikes!).
It was virtually unplayable out of the packaging, so I set it up and lived with it for a week or so, before any tweaking.

The body had some finishing issues, namely rough router marks not properly addressed, and generally bad fit and finish, especially paint..but the parts I won't use would offset about half the cost up to now.
The body is light for mahogany, and I love a good winter project, so....

First thing was to order parts. I'm thinking Olympic White with a mint 'guard, NFT Floyd with locking staggered Sperzels, no locking nut, all nickel hardware where available.

Did some mock-up last weekend.

Reshaped the headstock as close as possible to my Tele...

I'm waiting on Ti bridge posts/inserts, and I need to dowel where the Wilkinson posts were and re-drill/rout for the Floyd.
I'm having my fret guy level/dress, address the nut for the Floyd/Sperzel setup, and I definitely need to sort the original wiring:

Once it's all there setup-wise, I'll repair the body and reapply the white and clear, reapply Tung Oil to the neck.

I have a soft spot for Tele necks and Strat bodies ever since I was a kid and the Fender Bullet guitars came out, and I haven't had a Floyd since I was 12 (hence the thread title), but the Guthrie model Charvel got me interested again.

Very stoked to get it done; I can't get over how good the EMG's sound in this guitar (never been a huge fan until now).

Last edited:

johnspeck

Silver Supporting Member
Thought about stripping the body just to see if there is some sweet mahogany under it?
I have removed some finish in the cavity to confirm it is mahogany, but I haven't from the face to check grain figuring. I will stay with white since I can sand back and use the existing finish as a decent starting point.

johnspeck

Silver Supporting Member
Finally got my Ti bridge posts from Hantug in Turkey! Over a 2-month wait, but Floyd Rose is STILL out of stock, so...

Decided to have the luthier who does my fretwork do the whole project. The anticipation is killing me, but it will be worth it.
He remarked at how light the body is..even with the little construction issues, it's a nice slab of wood.
Hopefully another update soon...

johnspeck

Silver Supporting Member
Wiring kit from EMG arrived and delivered to luthier, should get it back this week.
He leveled and dressed the frets, tweaked the nut, mounted tuners, corrected the neck mounting holes to properly align and mate to the body.
Doweled and routed for NFT Floyd, corrected spring claw mounting, swapped trem block for correct size (original was too shallow) in brass. Also swapped original arm for upgraded Schaller.
Just need electronics properly installed.

The luthier and guys at the shop are really impressed by how light and resonant the body is. The guitar feels like a feather assembled (minus pickguard and electronics).

Last edited:

johnspeck

Silver Supporting Member

It's home, and it is amazing. Sounds and plays incredible. Trem stays in tune almost as well as with a locking nut, but much more substantial low end than a typical fine-tune Floyd.
The guitar is stupid resonant, like a big mic stuck in the wood.
The tone control is very cool, seems to really affect upper midrange gain, which is very useable with a fairly midrange-y bridge pickup.
Lowering the tone pot can clean up the gain without a volume drop into a dynamic amp.
I'm blown away how great this guitar is.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom