NPD, Nu-Valve

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by plan-x, Jan 31, 2012.

1. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

I like the Zendrive 2 so much that I sold off some pedals and got a Nu-Valve looking for more of that Tube magic from Hermida. At first I thought it sounded like the Zen2 with the EQ knobs calibrated different but I'm finding it to be different. It does have the same positive qualities of the Zendrive2, that being it cuts a mix, it's touch sensitive, all while having that tube tone that just kills at band level volume.

The difference is exactly what is described about it. It is more British in flavor in that it is not as smooth and smokey like the Zen. The attack is a little more aggressive. The bottom is different also, not quite as round(?) as the Zen. I'm able to actually get just about all my sound from these 2 pedals(with stacking). I have a timmy that gets into the mix from time to time but the warmth of these tubed based pedals usually wins out. The gain level on it is about the same as the Zen2 but the more aggressive tone gives it a "higher gain" feel. Both pedals have a certain tube saturation going on that even with a low-medium gain structure they are comfortable to play leads etc. with more ease. In other words, what would take more gain on an another pedal to feel comfortable to play a lead, seems to work at lower gain levels on these pedals b/c of that tube saturation thing.

TGP is the blame for me reaching this place. $500 for two pedals. But, I don't regret it, they're worth it. If Alf ever releases that Blackface pedal....I'm gonna take the plunge for sure. ;)

2. nealh999

nealh999 Member

I hear ya brother! I'm about to sell a kidney to buy a Nu-Valve or a Tiki Drive, but lucky for my kidney, I can't make up my mind between the two. I read that the Nu is a limited edition, so it may be the winner.

How well does the Nu clean up? Is it quiet at low gain settings?

3. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

Where did you buy it from? I was interested in the Tiki drive (as well as the nu valve).

4. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

I ordered them from Hermida direct. No waiting. I saw a Tiki drive last week in the emporium. Someone got it for a good price.

5. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

Is the first tube pedal you have tried? I have a old 5 knobber BK Butler that is falling amount but is pretty good.

What amp are you going into?

Is it a medium gainer?

So work well set to low gain?

I sold my timmy and tried a AC Booster but need a bit more beef in the tone.

6. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

Huh...lets see now,
    1. I have had a couple of tube pedals before, the Minstrel and the Effectrode tube driver.
    2. I am using a Mesa Boogie Lone Star classic, and a Traynor YCV-40. I use em both at rehearsal and the Mesa only for gigs.
    3. Medium gainer, yes.
    4. They both work well in the low gain dept. Not especially crystal clear, but warm low gain, tubey with the more you dig in the more edgy it gets.
    5. Beefy? Yes, I prefer the Zen 2 for the lower gain stuff, beef city. My Timmy seems to sterile now.
    If you're going for one, the Zen is the way to go. I feel it crosses into the Nu-Valves territory better than vice versa. Plus you can swap out tubes on the Zen for lower gain options. One more thing, these pedals are not as tubey as the tube pedals I mention earlier, Minstrel, Tubedriver. But They (Hermida pedals) sound better especially live. I'd get lost in the mix with the Minstrel. Also...I've heard the std Zendrive sounds really close to the Zen 2.