NPD: Nux Roctary

John Mark Painter

Silver Supporting Member
I am immediately very happy with this pedal. I probably won't use the Drive. It isn't terrible, but it immediately lops off a good bit of low end right when you engage it. My Drives and Fuzz seem like they will all work very well into it. Cool.

The Brake function is very useful. I will probably be happy just using Slow/Fast/Brake and not using an Expression pedal for speed. I'll try it though.

The Drive is out of the circuit when the knob is all the way down.
The Level knob is only for the Drive circuit.

There is a slight volume increase when you engage the pedal.
The pedal is quiet. Some people might find it a little too clean sounding compared to a full on Leslie Sim, but that makes it a better guitar pedal to me. Running a drive into it makes big difference.

There are secondary functions where you can set the acceleration speed between Slow and Fast (EXCELLENT feature) and you can set the Slow and Fast speeds (excellent feature) and you can set the balance between bass and the horn (excellent feature) and THERE IS A MIX KNOB!

Running the Bass/Horn balance down low makes it more of a Vibe/Univibe tone.

I thought that I wasn't interested in the Octave function. It actually is functional. I might use it at some point.

There is a Speaker Sim mode, but it isn't obvious as to whether it is on or not. I'll have to try it direct and see if I can hear it.

Dandolin

Congrats--nice first look review; I'll be interested to hear how it settles in for you.

I quite like the rotary algo on the Nux ModForce; one reason being that you can set the speed up by hz. It made a big difference to my ear to set up the hz to match stock settings for a 122. I find one thing that consistently turns me off in a rotary sim is speed settings that are not realistic for a leslie cab--generally I find demoers cranking the high speed up way past where the mechanical rotors were/could be set, and never moving off that except to the slow speed setting.... oops, tangent alert....

Congrats again on the npd!

John Mark Painter

Silver Supporting Member
I find demoers cranking the high speed up way past where the mechanical rotors were/could be set, and never moving off that except to the slow speed setting.... oops, tangent alert....
!
Yep. I will mostly keep the Fast Speed set at about 1:00 or so

I'll have to experiment with it after Reverb next

Kevsonic

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats! I'm intrigued. I went with the Ventura Vibe a while back but the Nux still fascinates. Looks like a big board-footprint but when something sounds like magic I can always make room somehow.

John Mark Painter

Silver Supporting Member
I really wanted the Slow/Fast switch and this sounds better than the Dark Side and takes Distortion better than the DynoMyRoto.

Hugh DaMann

Gold Supporting Member
I am immediately very happy with this pedal. I probably won't use the Drive. It isn't terrible, but it immediately lops off a good bit of low end right when you engage it. My Drives and Fuzz seem like they will all work very well into it. Cool.

The Brake function is very useful. I will probably be happy just using Slow/Fast/Brake and not using an Expression pedal for speed. I'll try it though.

The Drive is out of the circuit when the knob is all the way down.
The Level knob is only for the Drive circuit.

There is a slight volume increase when you engage the pedal.
The pedal is quiet. Some people might find it a little too clean sounding compared to a full on Leslie Sim, but that makes it a better guitar pedal to me. Running a drive into it makes big difference.

There are secondary functions where you can set the acceleration speed between Slow and Fast (EXCELLENT feature) and you can set the Slow and Fast speeds (excellent feature) and you can set the balance between bass and the horn (excellent feature) and THERE IS A MIX KNOB!

Running the Bass/Horn balance down low makes it more of a Vibe/Univibe tone.

I thought that I wasn't interested in the Octave function. It actually is functional. I might use it at some point.

There is a Speaker Sim mode, but it isn't obvious as to whether it is on or not. I'll have to try it direct and see if I can hear it.
Thanks for the review. Just ordered one. Are you running it before or after drives? When I had the Lex, I found I liked it better before...

PedalCrazyFool

I love NUX stuff, my Mod Core is about my favorite pedal. This one is on the bucket list for sure, thanks for the write up!

iama

After looking for a good sounding Leslie simm, I got the Roctary. It seemed any of the better ones were pretty expensive and the lower cost ones just didn't do it for me. Some were awful.

The YouTube demos sounded great. I went to GC to try a used one but it didn't work. I ordered on from Amazon and it arrived non working...? (I can't help but wonder if it was an unclear set up on my part). Back it went.

Still wanted one and I found a great deal online. It came, at first no sound but I discovered a step and I was on my way. My understanding it was designed by ex Strymon guys or so I've read. (Anyone know if this is credible?)

How does it compare with the Strymon Lex? Wish I could do a side by side comparison but I've played both. The Roctary sounds comparable with the Lex. Both different, the Lex has a touch more polished feel and build but the Roctary holds it's own. For the casual user, like myself, I like the layout. More ergonomic and the sound is superb and warm, maybe a touch more than the Lex.

For the money, an easy choice. A+++. Highly recommended.

John Mark Painter

Silver Supporting Member
For people that get no sound...often, the Drive is turned on and the drive level is down.

I have also seen that some DC connectors don’t fit well. I loaned mine to a friend and he had that problem

Trending Topics