NPD: Oddfellow Caveman V2!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DGTCrazy, Feb 11, 2015.

1. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

FYI: I posted a little blurb on an existing Caveman thread posted last month, but since I've not done an NPD for quite a while, I thought I'd share this here too.

Anyway..........fresh off the USPS Truck, my new Oddfellow Caveman V2.

[​IMG]

Back story:

When V1 was released, I hadn't heard about it until I happened across a demo and thought "what the heck" because it sounded so good to my ears. So after I sent an email to Jonathan last summer, he sent me the V1 Caveman, and I thought so highly of it, I wrote a little review on TGP and shared my experiences. So that's why I'm doing it again for V2, as I rarely write reviews.

I know a lot of folks liked V1, but like me, some of us had wished that there was a way to control the Boost side since it can be a bit sensitive at different
    amp volume settings. Enter the V2; Total control of the Boost, and the ability to either route the signal Pre or Post, (almost like 2 pedals combined).

Anyway....the thing I love about the Caveman V1 and V2 is how responsive it is to Pick Attack. I had an OKKO Diablo Gain+ that I used prior to the Caveman, but with SSH guitars, I had a bit of a problem balancing out the EQ between single coil settings into Humbucker settings in order to get the type of mid-gain to semi-higher gain tones I wanted.

The Caveman solved this problem by giving me ton's of girth and fullness, even with single coil bridge pickups....but not to the point where the top end was washed out. Because it responds to my pick attack so nicely, I'm able to get sparkly cleanish tones out of my amp, and with the flick of the switch, get gobs of gewy/chewy lead and rhythm tones.

I've only had a few minutes to play around with V2, but so far, I'm loving every minute of it. I'll try to post a sound clip in the next few weeks....but there are a few good demos, so I'll leave Andy's here so you can get a better idea of what this pedal does in case any of you haven't heard one yet. And finally.....you WON'T find a nicer guy than Jonathan to deal with IMO. His Customer Service has been Top Notch, and for that, I'm very appreciative.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  2. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have the V1, and to me, the gain cranked on that puppy with the bridge pickup on a Strat is heaven. My favorite OD for the bridge pickup. I don't ever use the boost, just hit it with other boosts I already have, so I'm going to stick with my old-school V1 :). Amazing pedal.

3. ufo~

ufo~ Member

Right on DGT. Good to see positive feedback on v2. I can hardly wait until mine arrives tomorrow. I've always felt this pedal is something very special. I've had no desire to replace v1 as it has been stuck to my board for almost a year now. But all the improvements/new features on v2 look like the icing on the caveman's cake. Just when I thought it couldn't get any better...

4. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

Glad it came with those detailed instructions, gain vol tone and boost can get confusing ;)

5. petty1818

petty1818 Member

If V2 is pretty much the same tonality as V1 but with some added features then I am sold!

6. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Did it come with the cable?
    Is it just a normal 9v power tap?
    Isn't it a modified OCD?

7. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Same here, nice score my friend!

8. DGTCrazy

Yes.

Yes.
    Unless the OCD is a 2 in 1 pedal, with separate boost switching, 4 layer boards, Panasonic Film, the Oddfellow Napoleon circuit, Pre & Post signal routing, and internal Base Cut switch.....NO.

9. Bobafunk

Bobafunk Member

I too am a proud user of the v2. I'm glad the OCD witch hunt met its maker. So stupid. Jonathan is the most upfront and nicest guy I've had to deal with the gear world. Mike fuller is.... Mike fuller. Haha. The v2 has a completely original circuit. There is no comparison. I read someone here say that this is going to be the overdrive of 2015. I couldn't agree more. This thing absolutely rules. It can do ANYTHING. I love it as much and more than the v1. Knocked it out of the park.

10. slowth

slowth Member

Wonder if he can mod it to have separate I/O. Perfect for bypass loopers

11. ufo~

ufo~ Member

Geez... v2 > v1 by a landslide. Wow!

12. OverDrivenGtr

OverDrivenGtr Silver Supporting Member

Sounds too compressed and fizzy in this demo, for my anyways. More gain than I would ever need. The boost does sound pretty nice though.

13. Bobafunk

Bobafunk Member

Glad you dig it... The V2 is UNREAL.

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

You say no, but what you described is the very definition of a modified pedal. Swap out some caps, add a couple of toggle switches and stick it in a new box. Done.

15. ufo~

ufo~ Member

:facepalm Oi... Watching fanboys defend the OCD is like watching a bunch of high school kids defending the "popular jock". Guess what? Nobody cares.

Now, if you want to talk about a real overdrive, one that has done what seemed impossible(improving the already amazing v1)... Caveman v2. Jon took this drive to the next level in a HUGE way. This is what every drive pedal wishes it could be.

16. Bobafunk

Bobafunk Member

Not to mention that the v2 is a completely ORIGINAL design.

17. ufo~

ufo~ Member

The more I play it, the more I love it. What I really, REALLY LOVE(aside from that killer sounding drive) is the independent boost. Very open and clean and brings out all the right tones. Not just two pedals in one but so much more. Excellent response to pick attack as well as volume knob play. The amount of gain on tap is staggering. This thing has so much range... DAMN!

18. Fuzzr

Fuzzr Supporting Member

had the Original version, but just Can't justify spending more Dough on the newest version.

19. DGTCrazy

Had my first gig with the Caveman V2, (Corporate Valentine's Party). I ran into my Tone King Imperial....and in a word; Glorious. But before I start my love fest, I have to admit that he evening started out a bit rough. During the Sound Check, I used my Wah through the end of the song...and I forgot to reset it...LOL Imagine my surprise beginning our first set tune with the top end of a Wah sweep screaming...Uggh.

So...the good stuff; The Boost side into the Imperial was just a little slice of heaven for me, (especially when used for clean'ish solo's using my Strat).
    Using the Caveman with my Teece RMC-10 killed too. During a break, an older session player from the area that was a guest came right up to me, nodded his head and said "well done". He then looked at the rig, and smiled as he walked back to his table:) (I only mention that because I genuinely appreciate a comment more from someone that "walks the walk" so to speak).

And if I haven't said this enough, the Caveman used with the single coil bridge pickup of a Strat or Tele is something you just have to hear in person to appreciate. No other Dirt Box I've used can get me that thick, rich, humbuker'ish tone, using a Start Bridge pup...yet still be able to be effectively used on the Neck side, and with a slight pick attack adjustment, yield cleaner bell-like tones, (like an old Marshall amp on the edge of breakup).

I know that no one dirt box will satisfy everyone. And it's a drag that there's any baggage regarding the Caveman & OCD. All I know is that I've tried both, (and I own several of Mike's creations like the TTE & Fulldrive), and the Caveman is something "different" to my ears, and it works for me. I've owned plenty of TS styled pedals, RAT styled pedals, as well as other variants...and I think we need to get past all that. That there's room for all of them is what makes this a great time to be a guitar player IMO.

20. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

How did you know? Did you see the schematic? Regardless of what is inside v2 demo sounds quite impressive.