NPD: Ramble FX Marvel Drive v3 (...another MIAB... I can't stop!)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by big jilm, Aug 4, 2018.

1. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Member

Are there any significant tonal differences between the two versions? I suspect I’m going to be more interested in 9V mode, so I’m not terribly concerned about losing that switch.

2. big jilm

big jilm Member

I'm not sure, but it looks like the only difference between the v2 and the v3 is the 9v/18v switch. The v2 has a presence knob, it's just smaller than the one on v3. I don't know if there are any changes in the circuit.

Took mine out of the emporium... it is really fun to play on. I'll play around with it a bit longer and see. EDIT: It's back in the emporium. I'm going to put it away and not play it again.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Bucksears and SweetClyde99 like this.
  3. exodus

exodus Member

Make sure you spend some time with it on the 18v setting. I think it makes it a bit more versatile.

Axe-maniac and big jilm like this.
  4. brewbaker

brewbaker Supporting Member

So now, after confessing my pleasure with the MD, I've bought a Marshall Origin 20H, coming tomorrow, to go with an idle 2x12 cab I have. Who's used an MIAB pedal with a Marshall and is that a good combination? Or is it the dog chasing its tail?

5. brewbaker

This. Lots more headroom and dynamic range.

devinocampo and Axe-maniac like this.
  6. johngregson

johngregson Member

No real difference that I can tell (been a while since I played them side-by-side, however), apart from the 9v/18v switch and top-mounted jacks on the v3. The v2 can still be run up to 18v if your power supply will let you but doesn't have the charge pump inside. A winner in either incarnation!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    SweetClyde99 likes this.
  7. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

I’ve been wanting one of these since they were released. Someday..

8. Axe-maniac

Axe-maniac Member

I like to put in 9v mode on lower gain settings as it adds just a little bit of compression, otherwise it's 18v all the way. I had the chance to play the Marvel Drive loud the other day and it left me giggling like a school girl it was so good. I haven't heard a pedal that can do the classic AC/DC crunch this well.

SweetClyde99 likes this.
  9. exodus

exodus Member

I do. I have a Marshall Class 5 at home that I line into a large 2x12 Germino cab. Since that little amp is deceiving loud (and master volume) I set it clean and use the marvel drive for the dirt. Sounds like a cranked marshall.

AceBSpankin likes this.
  10. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

Anybody here compare the MD with the Tone City Golden plexi? Just wondering.

11. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

That’s a good question. I’ve seen an Andertons video which pits the Golden Plexi against the Purple Plexi, and the Tone City pedal comes off really badly in the comparison to my ears. So I’d love some more real world feedback on that pedal.

12. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

They are different class players. Marvel Drive is a better MIAB drive in every respect (excluding, maybe, estate and price :)). So if you don't mind much about these to exclusions just go for MD. Happy MD owner.

13. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

And the 959. ;)

I really like the Weehbo MIABs as well.

And the Lexi DMB.

14. brewbaker

How about comparing the MD to the JHS @? I have the MD but have been listening to demos of the @ and it sounds pretty awesome.

15. madisonaudio

madisonaudio Member

I have a Weehbo Mastiff and I'll never sell it. Just sayin

Beto likes this.
  16. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

I can say the same about the JCM Drive.

And while not my favorite MIAB, for a few specific songs I haven't found anything better than the Plexdrive.

17. G34RSLU7

G34RSLU7 Member

does this pedal do convincing High Gain when you boost it with a TS or something? think Greg Howe or Guthrie Govan tones.

I have a Wampler pinnacle but the videos of the Marvel Drive have given me serious G.A.S.

18. brewbaker

High gain, yes. Don't have the examples you mention in my head as reference but it will do high gain on its own when you set it up right. I keep it cleaner and push it with a Greer Lightspeed and it's great.

G34RSLU7 likes this.
  19. madisonaudio

madisonaudio Member

For the money the Golden Plexi is the best MIAB I've seen yet, and I own one. Had a purple plexi and flipped it pretty quick. Just sayin

jazzfromhell and G34RSLU7 like this.
  20. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

I have a Marvel Drive (and a Plexitone Lo Gain) incoming. I'm gonna see if they work for me as medium gainers but I will for sure dime the MD to see how it performs at full gain. I'll report back.

G34RSLU7 likes this.