• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

NPD: Ramble FX Marvel Drive v3 (...another MIAB... I can't stop!)

SweetClyde99

I have the V2 & V3 of the Marvel and they just do that chordal kerRAAAANG *so* well - eminently satisfying to play!
Are there any significant tonal differences between the two versions? I suspect I’m going to be more interested in 9V mode, so I’m not terribly concerned about losing that switch.

big jilm

Are there any significant tonal differences between the two versions? I suspect I’m going to be more interested in 9V mode, so I’m not terribly concerned about losing that switch.
I'm not sure, but it looks like the only difference between the v2 and the v3 is the 9v/18v switch. The v2 has a presence knob, it's just smaller than the one on v3. I don't know if there are any changes in the circuit.

Took mine out of the emporium... it is really fun to play on. I'll play around with it a bit longer and see. EDIT: It's back in the emporium. I'm going to put it away and not play it again.

Last edited:

exodus

I'm not sure, but it looks like the only difference between the v2 and the v3 is the 9v/18v switch. The v2 has a presence knob, it's just smaller than the one on v3. I don't know if there are any changes in the circuit.

Took mine out of the emporium... it is really fun to play on. I'll play around with it a bit longer and see.
Make sure you spend some time with it on the 18v setting. I think it makes it a bit more versatile.

brewbaker

Silver Supporting Member
So now, after confessing my pleasure with the MD, I've bought a Marshall Origin 20H, coming tomorrow, to go with an idle 2x12 cab I have. Who's used an MIAB pedal with a Marshall and is that a good combination? Or is it the dog chasing its tail?

johngregson

No real difference that I can tell (been a while since I played them side-by-side, however), apart from the 9v/18v switch and top-mounted jacks on the v3. The v2 can still be run up to 18v if your power supply will let you but doesn't have the charge pump inside. A winner in either incarnation!

Last edited:

Axe-maniac

I like to put in 9v mode on lower gain settings as it adds just a little bit of compression, otherwise it's 18v all the way. I had the chance to play the Marvel Drive loud the other day and it left me giggling like a school girl it was so good. I haven't heard a pedal that can do the classic AC/DC crunch this well.

exodus

So now, after confessing my pleasure with the MD, I've bought a Marshall Origin 20H, coming tomorrow, to go with an idle 2x12 cab I have. Who's used an MIAB pedal with a Marshall and is that a good combination? Or is it the dog chasing its tail?
I do. I have a Marshall Class 5 at home that I line into a large 2x12 Germino cab. Since that little amp is deceiving loud (and master volume) I set it clean and use the marvel drive for the dirt. Sounds like a cranked marshall.

johnh

Anybody here compare the MD with the Tone City Golden plexi? Just wondering.
That’s a good question. I’ve seen an Andertons video which pits the Golden Plexi against the Purple Plexi, and the Tone City pedal comes off really badly in the comparison to my ears. So I’d love some more real world feedback on that pedal.

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
Anybody here compare the MD with the Tone City Golden plexi? Just wondering.
They are different class players. Marvel Drive is a better MIAB drive in every respect (excluding, maybe, estate and price :)). So if you don't mind much about these to exclusions just go for MD. Happy MD owner.

brewbaker

Silver Supporting Member
How about comparing the MD to the JHS @? I have the MD but have been listening to demos of the @ and it sounds pretty awesome.

Beto

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Weehbo Mastiff and I'll never sell it. Just sayin
I can say the same about the JCM Drive.

And while not my favorite MIAB, for a few specific songs I haven't found anything better than the Plexdrive.

G34RSLU7

does this pedal do convincing High Gain when you boost it with a TS or something? think Greg Howe or Guthrie Govan tones.

I have a Wampler pinnacle but the videos of the Marvel Drive have given me serious G.A.S.

brewbaker

Silver Supporting Member
High gain, yes. Don't have the examples you mention in my head as reference but it will do high gain on its own when you set it up right. I keep it cleaner and push it with a Greer Lightspeed and it's great.

jazzfromhell

does this pedal do convincing High Gain when you boost it with a TS or something? think Greg Howe or Guthrie Govan tones.
I have a Marvel Drive (and a Plexitone Lo Gain) incoming. I'm gonna see if they work for me as medium gainers but I will for sure dime the MD to see how it performs at full gain. I'll report back.

Trending Topics