NPD (Rockett Animal) and a confession

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by johnh, Apr 30, 2016.

1. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

The confession is that this is the second time I've owned the Animal. I found a used one for sale recently during a business trip to London, and I'm not sure why I decided to give it a second chance. Whatever the reasons, I'm sure glad I did. What an amazing pedal!

I'm a bit of a MIAB freak. I've been through so many. Currently I have a Bogner Blue and a Menatone The King on my shelf, and an Angry Charlie v3 and an OCD on my board. The list of MIAB pedals I've tried and sold is long and a bit embarrassing.

I don't know why I'm so impressed with the Animal this time round. I liked it the first time, but I didn't like the way it sounded when boosted with a tubescreamer, which I tend to use for most solos. Now I use a Diamond J Drive and a Mooer Rumble Drive for boost duties (along with the OCD),and the Animal seems to work perfectly well with them all.

The Animal is really touch sensitive, it sounds incredibly authentic to my ears, cleans up beautifully, does low gain tones as well as high gain - it seems to have everything. If the Animal has a down side, I guess it can be a bit noisy at higher gain settings, but this isn't much of a big deal for me since I tend to go for more vintage tones.

I'm still in the (second) honeymoon phase, so I'm dreading the infatuation wearing off. However, I've gone out to the music room about 20 times to see if the Animal really does sound as good as I thought, and every single time, it has totally knocked me out again! It is making my brand new Angry Charlie redundant!!!

So far, the Animal just seems like the best MIAB pedal ever!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    joealba likes this.
  2. rutxer

rutxer Member

Hmmm and here I am considering a JHS AT to kick the Animal off my board. It's quite noisy, at least my unit, and it's especially disturbing when my Xvive Golden Brownie (which does have more gain, and it's less than half of the price) is a lot more silent.

I do use isolated power to all of them. But I also have the same noise issues with my Tim Pierce Overdrive. Is that a Rockett thing? Are they noisy?

3. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

I owned the Animal twice because it sounded great but sold it twice because of the hiss.

Caprica likes this.
  4. johnh

i can't speak for the AT, but the AC v3 is a wonderful pedal. Slightly more JCM800 than Plexi obviously, but it's a great pedal. The Animal is a little more retro.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  5. yellowbaloon

yellowbaloon Member

6. Fulldrive-1

Fulldrive-1 Member

I owned it once and sold it fast.

7. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

*whispers*
    Gurus 1959 Double Decker :anon

adamagain likes this.
  8. rutxer

rutxer Member

Good to know that it's not just me or my imagination.

9. johnh

Maybe that's why Rockett replaced it with the 45 Caliber pedal?

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  10. johnh

Too big, too expensive, a clean boost I don't want, and I don't want the more modern sounding Floor two channel.

Floor one in a single pedal - absolutely!

11. joelhgs

joelhgs Member

I just picked up an Animal and love it. I don't find the inherent hiss found at higher gain settings to be problematic in any real world kind of way.

12. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Floor Two as modern is most definitely a repeated hearsay than an actual fact. "Modern" as an adjective is silly anyways, but when I think of sounds relatable to modern, the Gurus does not come into mind.

Too big sounds like a silly idea for what is really three pedals, and likewise for too expensive. There is completely no other pedal that can compete in features at that price range. Two tube-based distortions? A clean boost? A simulated DI? An effects loop? The Ethos comes closest to matching and even then that is more expensive.

Lastly, I get the clean boost narrative. I personally did not want that feature too. But it has completely grown on me surprisingly, displacing my FA-1 clone by Retrosonic.

Not a single clip has done the pedal justice in how it actually feels, and every single OD/Dist I have ever had or played pales in comparison to the quality of the pedal. To be fair I paid a lot for it to be delivered to my country, and either floor 1 or floor 2 ALONE was well worth the price point. No loss of quality running on both gain spectrums on either floors.

13. johnh

I formally wind my neck in (that means moderate my comments in British English) and accept most of your comments, especially regarding price. The 1959DD does look and sound like a wonderful pedal. Sam Vilo's demos sound particularly fantastic. I still maintain that I don't use a clean boost, so I wouldn't want one built into the pedal. However, you could re-interpret my comments to the following, which sounds much more positive:

"The demos of floor one sound so amazing that I wish it was available in a single sized, standalone pedal".