NPD: Rockett Blue Note OD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Geetarman74, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Geetarman74

Geetarman74 Member

Rockett Blue Note arrived today. Plugged it in and WOW, it is everything I hoped it would be. Perfect smooth low gain OD, and stacks with other pedals (usually pushing them) very well. Haven't found anything to complain about yet - sounds GREAT with every guitar and amp I have tried it with.

Can't believe I waited so long to give this a try - I've been circling it for a couple years now.

Very, very pleased. I realize I'm at the beginning of the honeymoon phase, but I would put it in my "Top 5" list of OD pedals and I have probably tried 100+ over the years.

Makes me want to try a Chicken Soup right away as well - not sure if they overlap?

And I may skip the Way Huge Pork Loin purchase I was getting ready to make as I'm guessing they are pretty similar?

2. cacibi

cacibi Member

Blue Note and Chicken Soup are definitely different enough to warrant having both. CS less transparent with more mids and compression

3. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

Rockett Blue Note and Way Huge Pork Loin are actually quite different animals. Blue Note belongs to TS family while Pork Loin is a Klon like (not the clone though) highly tweakable device. Different designs, different implementation. The only similarity is that both pedals are overdrives :)
    Love my Blue Note and hope to try Pork Loin one day.

4. jklotz

jklotz Supporting Member

I love my blue note! I can get that woody, tweed sound that just kills with my gretsch. It isn't coming off my board any time soon.

5. Geetarman74

Geetarman74 Member

Great info...thanks. Already own a Klon KTR, but may give the WHPL a try anyway. Can't have too many OD pedals, right? :)

6. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

I use the same kind of therapy. It works... occasionally :)

7. ruger9

ruger9 Member

I don't hear WHPL as a Klon-ish thing AT ALL. If anything, IT is in the tube screamer camp. A super-tweakable TS... I'l bet it's a lot like the Green Rhino, but with that clean-boost-blend thing added (which is no doubt why you are comparing it to the Klon.... and I agree there... but the tonality and thickness of the overdrive PL is much closer to a TS than a Klon)

the BN to me is more in the Timmy/LTD-SR/"transparent" OD camp. It's not transparent of course- neither are the other 2.... but if you define "transparent" as "little to no mid hump", the BN is in that camp.... more mids with the hot switch on, tho.

8. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Agree 100% - I play mostly humbuckers and P90's so the Blue Note was very appealing and has been on the board since I discovered it at True Tone in Santa Monica a few years ago. I like having the option with the hot switch to give my strat a bump when I pull that guitar out. Well built and great sounding.

9. Oncaster

Oncaster Member

10. Z Tone

Z Tone Member

I'm using the Blue Note and the Archer on my board. Both are great pedals.

11. ruger9

ruger9 Member

I've been thru an awful lot of ODs of the last 10 years, all the "famous" ones, and I have to say, I think the BN is one of the absolute best EVER. It really is that good.

I wasn't a big fan of the Guthrie Trapp or Tim Pierce ODs ... don't get me wrong- they were good- but the BN is really up there with the greats, imo.

12. Geetarman74

Geetarman74 Member

The more I play it, the more I agree with that statement.