NPD: SDD-3KP!

Ugly Bunny

For those of you in the know, the magic of the world-famous Korg SDD-3000 digital delay rack/pedal was in the preamp.

I bought the Korg SDD-3000 pedal from Sweetwater last year (I think) when they were blowing them out. While there are a few novelty modes on the pedal, half of them are stellar (SDD-3000, Analog, Tape, Modern). But overall, there's nothing to write home about about each delay. In fact, the SDD-3000 mode, arguably the best reason to get the delay pedal - has a volume drop that almost makes it unusable in a live situation. However, that preamp... oh that preamp.

Anyway, I'd been looking for a standalone version. I'd done some Googling and found the dts pedal. It'd always been a sort of pipe dream - I didn't want to spend the cash for JUST the preamp. But I was browsing Craigslist last night and someone actually had one! It was still pretty pricey - less than most places, still - but considering I could have it in the morning and not have to pay shipping, I went for it.

I LOVE the way it sounds. I have it (for the moment) right before my Timmy. It's a clean boost, for sure, but there's a sort of magical squishiness/presence that drips from the tone. Compared to the Pedal version, it's basically the same. The tones are identical as far as I can tell. I think the 3KP might be a touch quieter since with both attenuation settings the same, I had to turn up the "level" knob in order to match volume.

Anyway, I can't say that this will always be a part of my sound, but man, when I want that extra little magic, this will be my go-to. The closest thing I could compare it to would be the Xotic EP Booster. It's not exactly the same, but it kind of gives you that some edge-of-breakup tone & compression. I love it :)

earwax

Nice find. I had a psionic Triad for awhile. You can put a delay pedal in the loop just like that sdd3kp but I was very happy to get the Korg pedal because then I could run it in stereo.

Do you put your delay pedal in the loop?

Ugly Bunny

Nice find. I had a psionic Triad for awhile. You can put a delay pedal in the loop just like that sdd3kp but I was very happy to get the Korg pedal because then I could run it in stereo.

Do you put your delay pedal in the loop?
Oh yes. All time-based effects in the loop.

That said, I know traditionally, before FX loops, guitarists would have delay in front - but that sounds terrible to me, though I'm getting more accustomed to playing with lower gain - so maybe I'll learn to like delay in front of the amp.

I did try the SDD-3KP both in front of the amp and in the loop - it's great both places.

earwax

Oh yes. All time-based effects in the loop.

That said, I know traditionally, before FX loops, guitarists would have delay in front - but that sounds terrible to me, though I'm getting more accustomed to playing with lower gain - so maybe I'll learn to like delay in front of the amp.

I did try the SDD-3KP both in front of the amp and in the loop - it's great both places.

I meant did you put your delay in the loop of the sdd3kp pedal not the amp effects loop and now that I look at it more closely I see it doesn't have one. Oops my mistake. Sorry for the confusion.

LordByron

The Dude abides!
For those that want the SDD-3000 preamp-type sound but are having trouble tracking down one of the preamp clones (I have been chasing one for the better part of 2 years without scoring one at a reasonable price.... but I do have the SDD-3000 itself, so that's some consolation), a good alternative is the Valeton FP-10. It's a Boss FA-1 FET boost clone. While it is not a true clone of the SDD-3000 preamp, it lives very much in the same neighborhood and is the closest I have found to that magic sound yet. And it is considerably cheaper that the SDD clones and has really great EQ controls to boot. It is well worth checking out. IMO it is one of the best clean boosts out there.

Last edited:

Godspeed64

For those that want the SDD-3000 preamp-type sound but are having trouble tracking down one of the preamp clones (I have been chasing one for the better part of 2 years without scoring one at a reasonable price.... but I do have the SDD-3000 itself, so that's some consolation), a good alternative is the Valeton FP-10. It's a Boss FA-1 FET boost clone. While it is not a true clone of the SDD-3000 preamp, it lives very much in the same neighborhood and is the closest I have found to that magic sound yet. And it is considerably cheaper that the SDD clones and has really great EQ controls to boot. It is well worth checking out. IMO it is one of the best clean boosts out there.
Good call. I have a Retrosonic Boost that adds really great chime (I use Voxes) and do much more. I used to have a MorningStar SDD3000 Preamp where I passed James the schematic, and loved the end product so much that I got him to make a switchless version in a flatter enclosure to put under my old Pedaltrain Jr. They both added a nice present touch to my base tone, without any noticeable cut in other areas. I moved from the Morningstar but I was recently looking at it again....

Ugly Bunny

I would also not mind if they could make them smaller. The 3KP is huge; about the size of a standard T-Rex pedal. I also think it wouldn't need to have the three variable switches for I/O and the gain for the preamp. All it needs is gain and level; like a two-knob.

That would be magic. Wanna go into business with me, @earwax ? lol We can make mini pedals of the SDD-3000 preamp!

Trending Topics